BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Newell To Meet Fa

Get back to the kitchen and make me some pie!

I think woman refs should get a chance but you cant fast track them. Unfortunetly, if a male football player disagrees with a decision then i'm sure some things may come out, which were not meant to be said! I think this was a case of Newell being upset at a decision and he thought a man would judge it much better. His wrong of course, no known official can do a proper job as ref or linesman!

Your statement (in bold) may have been meant in jest, but it is in fact true. The officials given the present rules and operating conditions can only do their level best. They are always going to make errors both large and small, and the only way to improve this situation is to allow video evidence to settle all controversial decisions. Notice I said "improve"; you are unlikely to ever fully cure the problem by any means known to mankind. Human error and other frailties will always apply.

Edited by Fife Rover

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

without wishing to sound like i'm on an EQUALITY and DIVERSITY soapbox, people should be judged on their performances rather than anything else.

i'm unaware of Amy Rayner's abilities and whether her performance on Saturday was a one-off but, even if she's consistently poor, she's doing as good a job as most prem linesmen.

I'd welcome any female refs and lineswomen into the professional game, if they are of equal standard or -especially if they are better than the 'male show ponies' that we have at the moment.

I thought Newell's comments were funny but stupid. Referees have a thankless task, giving them grief because your team lost won't help matters. They lost 3-2, obviously the team has to take the blame for conceding 3 goals, she wasn't in goal for them.

It really does my head in that people have a go at referees, it also does my head in that referess do not/will not exlpain themsleves afterwards.

He could be in bigger trouble for slagging off his board, they are not very happy with him.

Edited by speeeeeeedie

Your statement (in bold) may have been meant in jest, but it is in fact true. The officials given the present rules and operating conditions can only do their level best. They are always going to make errors both large and small, and the only way to improve this situation is to allow video evidence to settle all controversial decisions. Notice I said "improve"; you are unlikely to ever fully cure the problem by any means known to mankind. Human error and other frailties will always apply.

I'm all for video technology, we need to move with the times and if we have the technology we might as well use it.

I think Newell has been quite insensitive & thoroughly sexist with his remarks.

Alas, i fear one question has been overlooked on this matter though....if this woman was running the line at a football match, who was making her husbands tea? :huh:

<_<

:lol: Magic.

Anyone found a link to our mate Ian Holloway's comments? Just seen him on SSN - fantastic as always.

Just out of interest - How does this compare to Racism? When I had questioned whether it was any worse to use a racist insult than call someone fat the arguments were:

1) You can't choose your race

2) Black people suffered years of prejudice

Isn't this the same as women? So surely sexism is just as bad as racism - yet it's fine to make sexist jokes on here? I wish someone would print me a set of politically correct rules lol!

and you can't even discuss women's football on this board.

as a famous football pundit in Norway once said on national television:

"what's women's football?

It ain't football and it ain't women"

Needless to say he aint on tv anymore..

as a famous football pundit in Norway once said on national television:

"what's women's football?

It ain't football and it ain't women"

Needless to say he aint on tv anymore..

Obviously never seen Rachel Unitt - who is a footballer and very much a woman :)

Well I hate it. Sexism isn't clever - especially when the same old jokes are trotted out over and over and over and over again - and you can't even discuss women's football on this board. Sad.

You are so right Mum! Sad is exactly what it is. We wont bother going into the causes of this particular form of ignorance; it would take far too long and does not belong on this thread anyway.

"A win is a bird. We'll take a better looking one if we can, but if not - we'll take her home anyway."

If anyone can find the Ian Holloway comments (mentioned on page 1, T4E), I would love to see them.

As for the remarks, they're clearly way off and should never have been uttered. I hope he keeps his job, or at least gets a new one at a better club if the chairman still holds a grudge about those bung accusations.

Edited by herbergeehh

"A win is a bird. We'll take a better looking one if we can, but if not - we'll take her home anyway."

If anyone can find the Ian Holloway comments (mentioned on page 1, T4E), I would love to see them.

As for the remarks, they're clearly way off and should never have been uttered. I hope he keeps his job, or at least gets a new one at a better club if the chairman still holds a grudge about those bung accusations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aA5lmeTyG0

I'll go one better for you - I had it on video and just uploaded it to you tube for you.

• 1 month later...

He seems to have a knack of making a sound point look like an outrageous rant, but if it came immediately after last night's match then I can't blame him for being annoyed. 2-1 up in the 88th minute and your player gets flattened by a foul in midfield. Ref fails to stop play and West Brom score and then, roared on by an excited crowd they get the winner in injury time.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.