BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steven Reid Can't Shoot

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A creative midfielder is required for the future but why all the slagging off? Hughes and the players are doing a fine job at the moment.

374900[/snapback]

Undoubtedly..

I'm not slagging off the management, I'm slagging off the supporters who seem to have an amazing unbalanced view on particular players.

Reid has done okay, and is okay. But he isn't good enough for our starting eleven, and I hope a player of his qualities never is, though obviously I'd love him to progress and turn into a great midfielder.

IMO, Dickov is much more valuable to us than Reid, yet Dickov is bad mouthed as much and as loudly as the Rovers fans sing Shefki Kuqis' name.

Embarrassing.

Reid also has a very poor first touch, He cocked up 3 attacks yesterday with his crappy shots, anyone can hit a 'rasping' shot without being accurate.

He is not top 10 premiership midfield and never will be.

Can anyone compare the number of games we've won with Tugay and Savage in starting in midfield against someone and Reid?, Im sure its very low.

Looks like you are Shillitto. He was named man of the match.

374928[/snapback]

The Peter Jackson MOTM has long become a joke, and if your relying on that to back up any opinion then you really will contesting some weak arguments.

Well it's been mentioned before but he certainly looks like Ryan Naysmith in 'Dream Team'.

I was dozing off last night in front of the tv and nearly fell off my chair when he appeared.

Ryan Naysmith (Ricky Whittle)

Coincidentally, the 'Harchester United' Stadium is 'The Den', the home of Millwall F.C., and of course Steven came to Rovers from Millwall!

The Den

Edited by roversmum

I don't go along with this ''moan moan moan'' theory.

Fans, like managers and coaches are always looking at ways their team can get better. It doesn't matter how we are performing, there is always room for improvement.

The great Arsenal team of 2004 drew too many games, as they didn't have a goal poacher who could win them the really tight games, this resulted in them surrendering the FA Cup and Champions League.

The great Man Utd team had a dodgy defence who leaked goals at crucial times, which almost cost the the FA Cup and the Champions League, and eventualy cost them any long term dominence in europe, and has cost them any sustained domestic success ever since.

The championship side of 1995 was reliant on one man to score a majority of their goals, as well as defensive frailties which saw us nearly surrender a 12 point gap at the top of the league, and eventually saw us drop away from those heights we were once at.

The team is doing well, but you always want to do better, which is why fans (and managers/coaches) will always focus on the weak parts of the teams that could eventually cost you, rather than always praising the parts of the team you know are fine. Really, it is the only way you can get stronger and move on.

Reid's goal against Wigan was top class and showed he has the ability to do the business.

If he had a few efforts that went in and was given a fair run in the team, im sure his confidence would soar and we would see a much stronger attacking player

He can strike a dead ball well right enough, but as for the Wigan goal it's a case of one swallow does not make a summer imo.  He really needs to stop trying to hit it too hard.

375280[/snapback]

Sod that, welly the bleedin thing.

I remember one of his 1st games for us. He was taking corners and taking the mickey. He was useless.

He`s come on leaps and bounds. Easily man of the match on Saturday.

Blackburn really could be a good side, but there are just one or two players who simply aren't good enough, and I'm quite willing to name names:

Steven Reid

Michael Gray

Andy Todd

Shefki Kuqi

Now I'll grant you that Gray isn't in the class/form of our other 3 defenders )which includes Todd) that is to say excellent, and ideally we want someone at the same level as these three are performing, however Gray is doing well and is a good rather than excellent player. Is he good enough - look at our defensive record. Ok I'd like a new younger improved left full back but to be honest Gray is more than adequate cover based on recent performances. Saying he's not good enough is laughable based on the fact he hasn't let us down. There is a difference between the ability to improve and being good enough.

As for Todd he's been one of main centre backs in what has been an excellent defence. I don't understand how he can be not good enough.

Kuqi, name a third choice striker you'd rather have for his wages/fee. Granted he shouldn't be main striker, but is he good enough for a place in the squad - easily as boro will testify and he gives us an option that no one else does. Yes we can improve in terms of a second striker to partner Bellamy but Kuqi has more than justified his signing with some crucial goals.

As for Reid, for what it's worth my oppinion is he's worth his place in the squad and is good enough to be one of three rotating central midfielders, for the following reasons.

1) Look at how much he has improved under Hughes - from playing everywhere uncomfortably to looking like he actually belongs in the position.

2) He's still time to improve and based on how much he has already, that's encouraging.

3) There are games when his style of play is much more needed than Tugs creative flair (and vice versa). Look at when he came on against Manure for a very recent example, he made us a lot tougher in midfield.

4) Some performances recently he's been fantastic, as good as anyone imo - Pompey 1st half and Wigan 2nd half are examples. Keepijg it up for 90 minutes is another matter though.

5) Tommo's shooting as well as one or two others is equally erratic and not been highlighted. Theres much more to Reid's game then just shooting - unlike for example MGP who seems to provide mainly goals but little else. In this respect the pair compliment each other in the team.

I don't think we should see him as a replacement for Tugs rather as a different option that the manager has available. In these terms Reid is certainly good enough as the dependable workhorse midfielder.

I notice all the players play unattractive games. Todd, Kuqi and Reid can sometimes look unpleasant to watch, yet this does not mean they are doing a poor job. For more 'attractive'/skillful footballers such as Bentley and Emerton for example it could be argued a lot more strongly that hey don't pull their weight and aren't not good enough.

Very unfair on Gray there IMO Blue blood, I'd say Neill isn't in the same class as the other 3 defenders, albeit he's been much improved this season.

On his current form the only thing wrong with Gray is that he isn't 5 years younger.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

Very unfair on Gray there IMO Blue blood, I'd say Neill isn't in the same class as the other 3 defenders, albeit he's been much improved this season.

On his current form the only thing wrong with Gray is that he isn't 54 years younger.

375454[/snapback]

Maybe a tad harsh, although I think Neill is better than you make him out to be. (Admittedly he hadn't always produced the type of form he was capable of.) I'm not trying to make out that he's bad I just don't think he's exceptional as the other three - arguably four with Zurab are. I acknowledge that he's good and I'll admit age does come into it, were he 24 say, with room to imrpove on his good ability and form, then i'd be more than happy to let him develop up to the level of the others. Not top of the list for replacing by any means, a new striker and Tugs replacement come first.

On his current form the only thing wrong with Gray is that he isn't 5 years younger.

375454[/snapback]

Neill's been twice the player Gray has this season. In fact neill's probably up there as a contender for our player of the season so far.

Neill's been twice the player Gray has this season.  In fact neill's probably up there as a contender for our player of the season so far.

375461[/snapback]

I would make the same point in reverse and say Gray is the clear pick as player of the season thus far.

Although MGP will probably get the "glamour" voteand the award. tongue.gif

Would you let Gray's contract expire in June then and use Andy Taylor as Matteo's backup next year?

375472[/snapback]

Er, where did I say that? I was commenting on who's the better player out of Gray and Neill, not whether Gray's good enough for the team or not.

For what it's worth I'd like to think that Hughes could get someone better at left back next season and, if Taylor is considered good enough, we could then get rid of Gray, Gresko and Matteo. If not though I'd be happy if Gray stayed - as long as it was on a short-term deal.

I would make the same point in reverse and say Gray is the clear pick as player of the season thus far.

Although MGP will probably get the "glamour" voteand the award.  tongue.gif

375462[/snapback]

Agree Neill probably is the best vote, not a chance I'd vote for Gray, there are a few that would come before him in my book, including Nelsen, Tugay, MGP and Friedel. I don't actually believe MGP should win it, having said that, there's a long way left to go so who knows what I'll think after Todd has scored the winners in two cup finals and captained the team to a European spot.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.