BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steven Reid Can't Shoot

Next tme you watch Rovers, count the times Todd gives away possesion.

Rarely, he passes hard and fast to the forwards, accurately. After that, they should be holding the ball up.

375488[/snapback]

?!?!?!?

What on earth???

Hoofing the ball of front and saying to the forwards "You should be holding it up" is NOT retaining possession!

Next time you watch Rovers notice how we're a much more attractive, exciting team to watch when we don't have Andy Thug blessing us with his "distribution"..

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Steven Reid, Michael Gray, Lucas Neill and (since his most recent return to the team) Andy Todd have all shown marked improvements over recent form which is great news for Rovers and reflected in our rise up the table and the greater entertainment value coming from the team.

2) Steven Reid has been putting some fantastic performances in at times in central midfield. Hopefully these will develop into 90 minute performances.

3) Reid can shoot- he has always been able to do so. He got the monkey off his back by that fantastic strike at Wigan. Now he needs to hit the target more regularly. Having MGP around- the most deadly accurate hard striker of a ball I've seen in blue and white since Shearer at his prime- sets a very good benchmark for Reid to aspire to.

4) There will come a game when every one of Reid's howitzers are either on target or very close to. It's inevitably going to happen. Then he'll be closed down every game after that creating a lot more space up front when we are attacking.

Edited by philipl

4) There will come a game when every one of Reid's howitzers are either on target or very close to. It's inevitably going to happen. Then he'll be closed down every game after that creating a lot more space up front when we are attacking.

375521[/snapback]

Hence my advice for him to practice more.

?!?!?!?

What on earth???

Hoofing the ball of front and saying to the forwards "You should be holding it up" is NOT retaining possession!

Next time you watch Rovers notice how we're a much more attractive, exciting team to watch when we don't have Andy Thug blessing us with his "distribution"..

375512[/snapback]

You would be better advised to alter your posting style. Maybe try to be a bit more "reasoned" in your arguments.

Otherwise - it will all end in tears.

I disagree with all the players mentioned - with the possible exception of Kuqi - but even then he is a useful back-up striker.

I think we will see Reid's shooting improving over time - as his confidence grows. But before we criticise him too much - lets think of one of our most techically gifted midfield players Tugay - and how often his shots go sailing off towards the back of the BBE

You would be better advised to alter your posting style. Maybe try to be a bit more "reasoned" in your arguments.

Otherwise - it will all end in tears.

375557[/snapback]

Haha - What's this supposed to mean? Isn't it possible that I can just be allowed my opinion on the team I support? Isn't it okay to criticise players and point out that I consider some of the comments being made on this thread as rubbish? That's what message boards are for.

Who is "Vinjay"? Everyone on here seems to be well versed in changing the subject of a thread.

Can't believe someone would even compare Tugay's shooting to Reid's - How many crackers has Tugay scored over the last few seasons?? And Reid?....

OK, Spencey, I'll bite.

You come on here and your first posts bang on about what a jerk Todd is and that he shouldn't be the Rovers captain. You don't ask what our opinion is, and the tenor of you post seems to be that we should all agree with you without question.

All subsequent posts bang on about the same topic, in an agressive style, and you wonder why people have a pop at you.

Before you proceed with further posts, have a read of the posting guidelines. Follow them and it may illicit a better response from fellow board members.

As for Vinjay, he kept on banging the same drum until everyone got fed up, but you may already know that.

So far, you appear to be going down the same track.

Steven Reid is clearly a vital member of Hughes' set-up. He's one of the best athletes in the Premiership and gives maximum effort every game, which is a symbol of what Hughes wants from the team. His passing is far short of what Tugay can produce, but our current tactic of physical competition sees Reid as a key member of the first eleven. Maybe he is a little too similar to Savage in the centre of the park for when we are trying to open sides up, but our creativity is expected to come from the wide players (Pederson, Emerton, Bentley) in the set-up we're playing. Reidy has improved a great deal since Mark Hughes took over, and his wayward shooting is a small price to pay for what he brings in his all round game.

Tugay's shooting is pretty awful, he's just always good for one cracker a season. He's met his quota this year so he may as well stop shooting now. Reid hasn't scored many but Tugay isn't exactly streets ahead of him. Tugay has only scored 7 in 178 appearances while Reid has 3 from 74. So in terms of ratios Tugay is fairing slightly worse, especially when you consider that 22 of Reid's appearances have been from the bench while of the 178 games Tugay has played he has only come off of the bench 24 times. This season they both have one from 21 starts, though Reid has come on as a substitute 5 times while Tugay has only done this twice.

In his entire career Tugay has scored 50 goals in 478 appearances, 51 of those being substitute appearances. Steven Reid has scored 22 in 241 appearances with 49 of those being as a substitute. So even overall they are fairing just about the same, though given the number of times he comes on as a substitute you'd have to say Steven Reid is probably doing just a bit better.

I know most of this was pretty pointless but I was bored with nothing to do so thought I'd clear up the Tugay versus Reid shooting debate. The real answer to the question though would be in seeing number of shots and how many of those are on target. Steven Reid has a better shots on target percentage at 24%, which isn't too bad, total number of shots I can't be bothered to find.

Steven Reid has a better shots on target  percentage at 24%, which isn't too bad, total number of shots I can't be bothered to find.

375823[/snapback]

Just not good enough Eddie.

I was racing through your post, the anticipation of knowing who'd had the most shot's was becoming hard to bear, then "I can't be bothered" wink.gif

OK, Spencey, I'll bite.

You come on here and your first posts bang on about what a jerk Todd is and that he shouldn't be the Rovers captain. You don't ask what our opinion is, and the tenor of you post seems to be that we should all agree with you without question.

All subsequent posts bang on about the same topic, in an agressive style, and you wonder why people have a pop at you.

Before you proceed with further posts, have a read of the posting guidelines. Follow them and it may illicit a better response from fellow board members.

As for Vinjay, he kept on banging the same drum until everyone got fed up, but you may already know that.

So far, you appear to be going down the same track.

375821[/snapback]

I don't feel that my posts have been made in an "aggressive style" - Especially if you consider the manner of the replies made to my posts. I apologise for "banging the same drum" about Andy Todd's worthlessness, but that is my opinion, and I am genuinely embarrassed that he is our captain. If anyone can tell me honestly that they believe Todd is a great example of a professional footballer and a role model for young fans, I will be very, very surprised.

I don't feel that my posts have been made in an "aggressive style" - Especially if you consider the manner of the replies made to my posts. I apologise for "banging the same drum" about Andy Todd's worthlessness, but that is my opinion, and I am genuinely embarrassed that he is our captain. If anyone can tell me honestly that they believe Todd is a great example of a professional footballer and a role model for young fans, I will be very, very surprised.

376106[/snapback]

[/quo

Todd for england, you for Iraq.

Todds not the best player in the country thats true but he's a mans man Spency. Hard but fair. A good honest, old fashioned pro who never attracts adverse media attention for his private life. Obviously you would prefer a cheating, spitting, swearing, dirty player with a penchant for gambling and debauched nightlife?

Re: Vp he was innocent as you have now been told, with his worst discretions being in instant but understandable retaliation for physical attacks on him. Vid replays show that .......

1. He'd just been kicked around the knackers when he booted Dugarry's arse out of temper.

2. Reid had stamped on his foot when passing by immediately before he nutted him.

Edited by thenodrog

If anyone can tell me honestly that they believe Todd is a great example of a professional footballer and a role model for young fans, I will be very, very surprised.

376106[/snapback]

Nobody said he was either. You might as well say he's not Einstein and accuse him of not understanding the general theory of relativity.

Yours sincerely

Max Karl Ernst Ludwig Planck

Todds not the best player in the country thats true but he's a mans man Spency.  Hard but fair.  A good honest, old fashioned pro who never attracts adverse media attention for his private life.

376110[/snapback]

ohmy.gif

Whilst some of the criticism of Todd in here is over the top, he is certainly not the man you've just described there.

You seem to forget that he was shipped out of Charlton and Bolton for scrapping with people at the club (a goalkeeper and an assistant manager if my memory serves me correctly), there's also the Dugarry incident (among others) that are far from what an honest pro would do. In fact, that kick on Dugarry was just cowardly, regardless of what your opinion on Dugarry is.

I think he's mellowed as he's grown older, but he's still a dirty piece of work. Thankfully it's just nowhere near as frequent anymore.

Just not good enough Eddie.

I was racing through your post, the anticipation of knowing who'd had the most shot's was becoming hard to bear, then "I can't be bothered" wink.gif

375840[/snapback]

Sorry...I'll put more effort in next time.

ohmy.gif

Whilst some of the criticism of Todd in here is over the top, he is certainly not the man you've just described there.

You seem to forget that he was shipped out of Charlton and Bolton for scrapping with people at the club (a goalkeeper and an assistant manager if my memory serves me correctly), there's also the Dugarry incident (among others) that are far from what an honest pro would do.  In fact, that kick on Dugarry was just cowardly, regardless of what your opinion on Dugarry is.

I think he's mellowed as he's grown older, but he's still a dirty piece of work.  Thankfully it's just nowhere near as frequent anymore.

376115[/snapback]

You have a strange perspective on the word 'cowardly' LeChuck. Quick tempered would cover all those incidents imo. Would you rather have him locked up in spain? 'Forgetting' urine tests? Kung Fu kicking spectators? cheating? gambling? drinking to abusive levels? Spitting? Roasting? Dogging? Stealing from his team mates? Driving about in ludicrous vehicles.....etc etc? He's just a normal bloke imo who wont allow people taking liberties and is a bit quick with his fists. imo Roy Keane is similar, sure he's been a better player and more influetial on the pitch but apart from that he's probably most peoples ideal captain.

Spencey, thanks for a more "considered" reply, certainly the "tone" was more polite (if I can use that word).

In view of what we had to put up with , with Vinjay, it's understandable that people would be a bit sensitive.

You opinion about Toddy is understood, but why should you be embarassed? All my Football following mates acknowledge the need for a "hard man".

A role model, perhaps not, but every team needs the "hard bloke". He knows that he's not going to be the most popular guy in the team, he's going to cop more of the cards, but his mates are glad that he's there. He's the sort of bloke that puts pressure on the opposition just by going for a tackle, its what upsets the team the opposition. It's one thing that tips the balance of play towards the Rovers.

OK, I know I'm going to get flack from others................. helmet on ph34r.gif

Le C, I couldn't care less what has happened in the past, it's what he's doing at Ewood. Theno's reply sorted that bit, didn't it?

Spencey, would you compare him to captains from other clubs, i.e. Gerrard, Vieria, Keane?

Yes, maybe they are better footballers, but role models?

All three have got much worse disciplinary records than our Toddy!

Sorry mate , you have no argument, you are making yourself look silly (hence the responses to your ill thought out posts).

Spencey, would you compare him to captains from other clubs, i.e. Gerrard, Vieria, Keane?

Yes, maybe they are better footballers, but role models?

All three have got much worse disciplinary records than our Toddy!

Sorry mate , you have no argument, you are making yourself look silly (hence the responses to your ill thought out posts).

376157[/snapback]

Time will tell. We'll see whose starting at centre-half (and wearing the captain's armband) at the end of the season.

A previous post mentioned that teams need a "hard man" - I agree with that to a certain extent, but certainly don't think Todd falls under that description. And if teams do require a "hard man" in Todd's mould - Just don't make him captain.

Young fans of Arsenal/Liverpool/Man Utd will grow up wanting to be Vieira/Gerrard/Keane because they want to lift trophies like they do. Not to kick opposition players while they're on the ground just because they're frustrated. Todd is an irrational, dangerous thug. That's my opinion, which I am absolutely allowed to have - Deal with it.

Time will tell.  We'll see whose starting at centre-half (and wearing the captain's armband) at the end of the season.

A previous post mentioned that teams need a "hard man" - I agree with that to a certain extent, but certainly don't think Todd falls under that description.  And if teams do require a "hard man" in Todd's mould - Just don't make him captain.

Young fans of Arsenal/Liverpool/Man Utd will grow up wanting to be Vieira/Gerrard/Keane because they want to lift trophies like they do.  Not to kick opposition players while they're on the ground just because they're frustrated.  Todd is an irrational, dangerous thug.  That's my opinion, which I am absolutely allowed to have - Deal with it.

376444[/snapback]

So, Andy Todd is not a "hard man" in the mould of Vieira/Gerrard/Keane. He is an "irrational, dangerous thug." I reckon that's a very fine line you're defining, especially when you include Viera and Keane.

And, quite true, "That's my opinion, which I am absolutely allowed to have - Deal with it."

Me too.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.