BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Theo Walcott

M-K

If Rovers gave Sergio Peter a few games between now and the end of the season and Chelsea came in with £12 million+ then id be a very happy rover. Its a business at the end of the day

375214[/snapback]

Kaaching is what i'd be saying if that happens much like the duff sale. Too bad we bought Ferguson though.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Theo Walcott"

Anyone else wondering what the "Theo" is a shortened version of? If it actually is a shortened version of something.

I'm getting "Theophilus P Wildebeest" aka Lenny Henry.

"Theo Walcott"

Anyone else wondering what the "Theo" is a shortened version of? If it actually is a shortened version of something.

I'm getting "Theophilus P Wildebeest" aka Lenny Henry.

375802[/snapback]

tongue.gif

Theodore at a guess. If only he could play in the same team as a Simon and and an Alvin, we could all sing the theme tune to the Chipmonks cartoon. 'We're the Chipmonks, Alvin, Simon, Theodore, duh duh, duh duh duh do.'

To hear thousands of people singing that would make my life complete.

Chelsea are offering £7.5 million up front, rising to £15 million - They will also loan him back to Saints for 18 months.

Arsenal are offering £5 million but dont want to loan him back as Wenger fears burn out if he plays all season. Deal rising to £12 million

If i was saints then id be pushing Theo to join Chelsea

The English academy system is one where players are training for just four hours a week.

Well things might be a bit different down there, but at Rovers they train more than four hours a week. When my brother was at Rovers he trained twice during the week for 2 hours, then on a Saturday sometimes for an extra 2 hours, then the games were on a Sunday. And that was only up till the age of 15. After that, at 16, players become full time and play football most of the day every day.

It is true that other countries ie Italy, Spain and especially Holland are ahead of us in terms of youth setup, but we are getting there I think.

Edited by cn174

Walcott has signed for Arsenal,.. Can only be good for Englands' future...

Outside chance of World Cup I wonder?

We made the mistake of not taking an unknown yet effective wildcard to the last World Cup (I'm refering to Jansen) and were exposed against Brazil..

Hope Arsenal keep him for the remainder of the season and give him some action.

I say we try him in a couple of friendlies for England. Now I know the lad is young and is very very inexperienced even at league level but even if we just put him on the bench, it will give him vital experience and I'm sure the likes of Wayne Rooney and Gary Neville etc will keep him firmly on the ground.

It's also a chance to show the world the type of talent this country is producing. Can you imagine a future partnership of a 24 year old Rooney (with six years International experience) and a 21 year old Theo Walcott (with five years)? We would be the envy of the world!

I say put them in young (but don't burn them out) and reap the rewards in the future.

i disagree with having him in the england team, i seriously doubt that he will be getting too many games at arsenal ahead of henry reyes and adebayor.

he should just play reserve team football or maybe sub apearances at best, not all players are wayne rooneys and he probably won't find it easy breaking into the first team.

i say give him time to grow into a decent player and if all the hype materializes then he will inevitably be picked for the england team. under 21, 17, etc will do him well.

Edited by Mafioso

Well if this lad is as good as Rooney was at 16, then he should certainly be in the first team picture at Arsenal, even if it's starting every one in five games and just coming on for 20 minutes to half an hour in the other four.

Walcott has signed for Arsenal,.. Can only be good for Englands' future...

Outside chance of World Cup I wonder?

We made the mistake of not taking an unknown yet effective wildcard to the last World Cup (I'm refering to Jansen) and were exposed against Brazil..

Hope Arsenal keep him for the remainder of the season and give him some action.

376236[/snapback]

Are you seriously comparing the Walcott and Jansen situation?

Walcott has scored something like 4 goals for a first team, having not even made an appearance in the premiership. Jansen had years of experience and had scored goals in the top league and also had a season of excellent form behind him.

I don't know if Walcott will turn into the next big thing, but he just might, but right now he's simply a talented youngster, no more, no less and should be playing youth games and games for his club until he has proven he can make it at this level. England caps shouldn't just be handed out because one day you might be good, or because it might work out, you earn them, especially when you're talking about sending them to a World Cup that the squad has a serious chance of winning.

Are you seriously comparing the Walcott and Jansen situation?

376434[/snapback]

Considering Jansen was very dissappointing in the Premiership for half a season before Cole signed,then one good half season, Walcott has the chance to equal that in the next 5 months.

And considering this boy has just cost £12.5m despite being only 16 he can't be too bad can he? I expect Rooney would have cost the same had someone bidded for him at the same age, before he proved himself at the top level.

Ronaldo attended World Cup '94 as a 16 year old, didn't do him much harm.

Put it this way, I'd rather Walcott was at the World Cup as apposed to someone like Owen Hargreaves.... Who would you rather enter the field as a 70th minute sub when we are one down to the Germans?

Yes but last time we decided to take Keown over Jansen, hardly similar...

What I'm saying is, for the final two or three squad members, whoever is picked, it is unlikely they will play unless there is some kind of crisis, so you may as well take players who can turn a game for you, rather than solid players who have been in decent form.

Walcott could win us games with his pace and trickery, people like Hargreaves couldn't.

In that sense the situation is quite similar to the Jansen/Keown one.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.