BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Theo Walcott

M-K

We don't really know how good this kid is. Nor do we know whether his future development will be consistent with his precosity.

I haven't heard any comparissons with Pele yet and that is what you've got to be talking about if you are taking a kid of 17 years 3 months to the World Cup.

You are being a romantic dreamer Shillito.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are being a romantic dreamer Shillito.

376476[/snapback]

Talk of Englang is premature, without a doubt.

What I was suggesting is initially was if Walcott has an impressive half season at Arsenal, does he have a shout of the World Cup?

Don't think that statement/question is too far fetched? Why don't people just discuss points rather than make them seem like set in stone statements of intent/fact by a particular poster.

Well let's compare him to Norman Whiteside then......

376546[/snapback]

Your spot on there Phil.

I reckon if you don't free up at least one World Cup squad place for a promising youngster, you're going to surrender a possible advantage and the unearthing of a gem. Look at Wayne Rooney - he was regarded as just a kid until we put him into the team and look what he has achieved!

Take a chance I say. Nobody is saying he's going to be our best player or even start any games. Let's at least try him in a couple of friendlies and see if he's made of the same stuff as the Roonster!

There is a difference between 16 and 18- the age of Rooney's England debut.

Shearer scored a hattrick in the First Division (proper) on his debut against Arsenal!

Sure this kid is very good but he isn't yet a Pele, a Whiteside, a Shearer or a Rooney. This World Cup is coming a year to early for him.

He'll be the grand old age of just turned 21 when the next one comes round!

And what praytell has he achieved?

376806[/snapback]

Well I think by common consensus he is Manchester United's and England's best player and one of the most coveted talents in the world.

I mean that's like me saying Cahill rubbish because he hasn't won a trophy.

I would say if Walcott makes an imapct over the next few months and looks a better bet than the player he is going to take the place of then of course we should take him. Thats how football works.

He doesn't say anything...

Btw was he involved purely to ensure he doesn't get poached by another nation when he get good?

377236[/snapback]

The only other nation he could have been poached by was Ghana and by his own admission he wants to play for the US.

Here was the quote I was referring to:

Two minutes later, Adu touched the ball for the first time, trying to get away from defender Adam Braz. There was contact and Adu tried to take advantage, pretending to be fouled in the penalty area.

Mexican referee Benito Archundia didn't buy it and flashed the yellow card.

"Hey, I just had to push it a little bit," Adu said. "You go down, and it could go for you or it could go against you. It's one of those things where you put the referee in a tough position

typical these days for footballers

Edited by Florida Rover

Well I think by common consensus he is Manchester United's and England's best player and one of the most coveted talents in the world.

I would say if Walcott makes an imapct over the next few months and looks a better bet than the player he is going to take the place of then of course we should take him. Thats how football works.

376822[/snapback]

I didn't say he was rubbish, I simply asked what has he achieved?

The comment was how good it would be for Walcoot to join the English squad because "look what Wooney has achieved"

Sure he is a good player, but he has achieved f'all in footballing terms

376822[/snapback]

AFAICT, Neekoy didn't say anything rubbishing Rooney. He is questioning his achievements. Measuring those is subjective (like most measures in football), but I'd say that Neekoys implications are somewhat true. Where are those trophies? Seems almost sure they will come, but they haven't yet.

I didn't say he was rubbish, I simply asked what has he achieved?

The comment was how good it would be for Walcoot to join the English squad because "look what Wooney has achieved"

Sure he is a good player, but he has achieved f'all in footballing terms

377381[/snapback]

Oops. Should have waited to read the next page wink.gif

The solution is obvious.

Walcott to be appointed England player-coach when more dirt forces Sven out next Monday.

377382[/snapback]

Incidently have you seen any of Walcott out there in Malta, or are your views coming blindly as you seem unable to accept the possiblity of a 16 year old being good enough for his national team?

Incidently have you seen any of Walcott out there in Malta, or are your views coming blindly as you seem unable to accept the possiblity of a 16 year old being good enough for his national team?

377402[/snapback]

I don't think any of us are unable to accept the possibility of a 16 year old being good enough to play for his national team, but I'm also not being sold into thinking he's the complete package because he's been sold for X million. I'm sure he'll play for England someday, who knows, maybe he'll be the best player in the world, but as of yet he's made a handful of appearances in the championship, scoring only a couple of goals, and hasn't even made it onto the pitch for a premiership. Come June, at best, we could be looking at a player who's played in 10-15 games for Arsenal, I can't even see that being true, does that really make you deserve a place in the world cup?

I look forwards to seeing Walcott playing in the Arsenal first team.

377435[/snapback]

No then.

How you can have such a strong opinion when you have literally no clue what kind of player we are talking about is beyond me.

I don't think any of us are unable to accept the possibility of a 16 year old being good enough to play for his national team, but I'm also not being sold into thinking he's the complete package because he's been sold for X million. Come June, at best, we could be looking at a player who's played in 10-15 games for Arsenal, I can't even see that being true, does that really make you deserve a place in the world cup?

377445[/snapback]

Two points...

Firstly, I never said Walcott should be in the WC Squad. I asked would it be a possibility if he had a good half season at Arsenal.

Secondly, he will be 17 by the summer, the same age Rooney was when he deputised for England, and if he plays half a season, will have the same amount of experience. So if Rooney was good enough, why not Walcott? I am not even semi suggesting Walcott should play anywhere near a full game, but I feel in a squad of 23 players, there is room for one wildcard with obvious quality, who can come on for ten minutes and possibly do one thing which can inspire a last minute goal. Though Englands first eleven is littered with match winning quality, on the bench I see very few, if any options that give England this unpredictability and quality.

This is obviously only going to be a possibility should he play a decent amount for Arsenal. Whether this will happen remains to be seen, but other than his age, you have given very little reason other than age as to why Walcott shouldn't be taken in the capacity I am suggesting.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.