BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Theo Walcott

M-K

Im happy at the inclusion of Walcott.

Defoe and Bent have proved they aren't impact players.

Walcott may well be. And if Sven hasn't seen him play (he will have watched videos im sure) neither has any defender he will be up against.

It could work very well.

Im looking forward to the friendlies.

Im really really looking forward to seeing us at the world cup.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've no real problem with Walcott's inclusion, he is a total unknown to the opposition and might well be capable of causing an impact coming off the bench.

Even people in favour of the selection though have to concede it is an extremely strange scenario. Sven admitted he has never seen Walcott play, only seen him in a couple of training sessions, and didn't even bother going to see him in a reserve game this morning, instead sending Tord Grip. huh.gif Smacks of Sven's "big club bias" again. You get picked if you play for "the big 4" but not if you play for the likes of Blackburn and Birmingham i.e. Heskey, Jansen.

What I am dismayed about is the make up of the squad which is totally unbalanced. Seven defenders NINE midfielders and only four strikers, two of whom may well not be fit, Rodney Trotter, who has nuisance value only, and one of whom has never kicked a ball at the top level!

Why on earth do we need nine midfielders? It's difficult to imagine Jenas or Hargreaves bringing anything to the party unless the latter is required as cover at right back. Defoe and Bent should have been automatic selections as well as the 4 strikers actually chosen in view of the injury worries.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

Disgrace is a bit harsh, but I am glad to see the back of him.  Even if it does mean McClaren coming in.

406203[/snapback]

When I think that we were supposed to be getting SGE as our manager after Harford! What a lucky escape we had!

Oh dear though; then we got Woy instead. Nightmare!!

An interesting decision by Sven, and one I fully support.

Darren Bent isn't good enough - sorry. Whilst a few posters on here are saying he should be in the England squad, I can't find anyone who wants him to partner Bellamy next season for Rovers. We can do far better than that - and so can England.

Putting Walcott in the 23 is very clever. He's a total unknown. He's clearly very talented - and in 4 years time he'll still be talented, and he'll know what it's like to be in a World Cup squad.

This summer he can play a cameo role in the absence of Rooney, and in 2010 we (England) may well benefit from Sven's clever thinking.

The thing for Sven is that he has nothing to lose. Personally I'm not looking forward to him leaving, but he doesn't have to worry about his job anymore so he may as well take a risk. Don't think Walcott should have been included as he hasn't even played a game in the Premiership, but SGE knows more than I do so I'll wait and see what happens.

Good luck to Theo Smallc*ck.

Following this logic I reckon that Joe Garner should be in with a shout too. 

Oh no, hang on, he doesn't play for Arsenal does he.... tinykit.gif

406249[/snapback]

Garner has not just been transferred to Arsenal for twelve million, been compared to Thierry Henry and rated as the finest young prospect in England since Rooney.

It is a bit desperate, but we are in a desperate situation. And if he was Australian he would be on your plane, mainly due to the paucity of quality players at your disposal.

Darren Bent isn't good enough - sorry.  Whilst a few posters on here are saying he should be in the England squad, I can't find anyone who wants him to partner Bellamy next season for Rovers.  We can do far better than that - and so can England.

You're joking right? He'd be at the top of my list - quick, strong, good in the air, good with the ball at his feet, knows where the back of the net is, English, young, still developing as a player.

The last three factors are the reason nobody has mentioned him as a possible import, he'd cost an absolute bomb. However, finances aside, he'd be up there on everybody's wish list.

Silly statement really Tris.

Garner has not just been transferred to Arsenal for twelve million, been compared to Thierry Henry and rated as the finest young prospect in England since Rooney.

It is a bit desperate, but we are in a desperate situation. And if he was Australian he would be on your plane, mainly due to the paucity of quality players at your disposal.

406252[/snapback]

That's the key word. It's a ridiculous gamble, especially when your starting front two probably aren't going to be fit enough. Logic would dictate that Bent, Ashton, Beattie, and Defoe would go ahead of him. If you're going to take the kid, make him the fifth striker so he can soak up the experience and all that jazz, right now we're relying on him to start/make a significant impact from the bench. That's utterly absurd, the kid is 17 and hasn't even played a game of Premiership football yet! You can't expect him to do anything on the biggest stage in the world.

Edited by Exiled_Rover

I would have taken Beattie and one fewer midfielder but I am OK with Walcott being in there alongside Lennon.

Jol takes the biscuit fuming about Defoe not going- excuse me Mr Spud, who *******ed up Defoe's chances by not picking him?

Darren Bent isn't good enough - sorry. Whilst a few posters on here are saying he should be in the England squad, I can't find anyone who wants him to partner Bellamy next season for Rovers. We can do far better than that - and so can England.

Putting Walcott in the 23 is very clever. He's a total unknown. He's clearly very talented - and in 4 years time he'll still be talented, and he'll know what it's like to be in a World Cup squad.

This summer he can play a cameo role in the absence of Rooney, and in 2010 we (England) may well benefit from Sven's clever thinking.

You're joking right? He'd be at the top of my list - quick, strong, good in the air, good with the ball at his feet, knows where the back of the net is, English, young, still developing as a player.

The last three factors are the reason nobody has mentioned him as a possible import, he'd cost an absolute bomb. However, finances aside, he'd be up there on everybody's wish list.

Silly statement really Tris.

406253[/snapback]

Not silly at all. Firstly, Darren Bent has done what Michael Ricketts, Marcus Stewart and Kevin Phillips have done. Banged in a bunch of goals playing for a poor team.

I for one think that Bent is superior to those players and would gladly see him in a Rovers shirt.

But when you want someone to come off the bench for England to make an impact against a defence playing deep and trying to protect a lead, you don't want Bent for all his target man attributes. Especially as we'll have Crouch as an option.

You want someone with skill to open up the defence.

Edited by rover6

Good luck to Theo Smallc*ck.

Following this logic I reckon that Joe Garner should be in with a shout too. 

Oh no, hang on, he doesn't play for Arsenal does he.... tinykit.gif

406249[/snapback]

I had a conversation with my 13 year old brother today about Walcott being in the England squad...he came up with a more mature answer than that.

Well done.

Walcott, Lennon and Downing, personally I have just forgotten all about a certain Metatarsal and have quite a bit of excitement returning. Ballsy play by Sven, well done. Could be very interesting to bring these young guns on against tired legs in the latter stages of games.

HAS THE WORLD GONE FLIPPIN' MAD???

Not one person on this board, not one pundit, not one premiership manager, not even the England manager until some slipped him some chemical substance, would have included Theo Walcott!! And I don't care what you may say about Wenger, he would never have put him in a 23 man England squad!

All this reasoning and optimism about the role this guy can make is purely reactionary as we try to come to reason with what is an inexplicable choice! The England Team, as someone rightly saidis 2nd fave, even one without Rooney and Owen, does not need Walcott, they need a goal scorer! Can this guy finish one on one, we dont know, can he make intelligent moves in the box, we don't know. And what is more important is that Sven doesn't know!

STOP BEING SO DAMN OPTIMISTIC!!

ALRIGHT WE'RE ###### AND WE WON'T WIN THE WORLD CUP.

(happy now Ultrablue?)

PS- it's all a con trick by Blatter so why get hot on bothered? Just treat it as a feast of great entertainment which doesn't matter so long as Emo and Lucas come back fit and greedy.

Ultrablue.

You really are a bit pathetic

I thought World Cup's were for getting excited about.

Wenger wouldn't have put him in the squad (even though he recommended him and paid £10m for him).

If he didnt think he was good enough he wouldnt have let Sven pick him, as embarrassing himself will not be a benefit to anybody.

ITS THE FACT THAT WERE RELYING ON A 17 YEAR KID AND NOONE ELSE .

406484[/snapback]

We aren't relying on a 17yr old kid

What are you talking about. We have Gerrard, Cole, Lampard. They all know how to score goals and perform at the highest level (unlike Defoe and Bent, who have never shown that they can perform at International level)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.