BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hughes Challenges Board

John

Agree totally but the reallity is that since Hughes has arrived the attendances have plummeted.  I cannot think of any other team in the Prem that would have suffered that ignominity.  It's obvious that Blackburn doesn't deserve a Prem team.

376916[/snapback]

Correct, but it isn't a problem just Rovers have. For all the success Bolton and Boro have had over the last two seasons, attendences have dropped at those clubs too.

It's Sky, not the fans that are not only keeping clubs like Rovers afloat, but also killing the soul of these clubs.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a lot of people are doing the trust and the board a major injustice by being so critical. We are now coming to a period where, after showing some good potential, investment could bring great rewards. However, this has not been true for a couple of seasons so it is not surprising that in recent times there hasn't been a major amount of invesmtment. In recent seasons whenever we have needed money (Cole being the perfect example and even in the Bellamy deal this summer) the trust and board have come up trumps. I fully expect that if we finish in the top 8 this summer we will see Hughe given enough money to do what he needs to secure that position and even make us into a team that can really consider itself a top 6 side.

We can't be critical of a board that has shown little ambition when the club is struggling at the bottom of the table and losing money, they have kept the club running and in a great financial state, given the situation that is more than we could have ever asked for and something that about 15 premiership clubs are probably jealous of.

If in a year we find that little transfer funds have been made available and that the club has gone backwards again then I think we'll have to really be looking for a new source of investment (something I'm sure is already being done and that would be more than welcome) but until then we can't be critical of the trust.

Correct, but it isn't a problem just Rovers have. For all the success Bolton and Boro have had over the last two seasons, attendences have dropped at those clubs too.

It's Sky, not the fans that are not only keeping clubs like Rovers afloat, but also killing the soul of these clubs.

376920[/snapback]

Unfortunately you are absolutely right about the effects of TV coverage on the smaller clubs. The TV stations (especially SKY ) are slowly but surely taking over the entire business of top class football and killing it off as an attended outdoor sport. The big question for all true fans everywhere is: What to do about it? Perhaps this question should be debated at the BRISA meeting.

Unfortunately you are absolutely right about the effects of TV coverage on the smaller clubs. The TV stations (especially SKY ) are slowly but surely taking over the entire business of top class football and killing it off as an attended outdoor sport. The big question for all true fans everywhere is: What to do about it? Perhaps this question should be debated at the BRISA meeting.

376932[/snapback]

Unfortunately I think BRISA are pretty powerless when it comes to Rovers relationship with Sky.

Unfortunately I think BRISA are pretty powerless when it comes to Rovers relationship with Sky.

376934[/snapback]

BRISA more than likely are, but organisations such as the Football Supporters Federation aim to challenge bigger footballing issues.

Actually, to be exact, our attendance would have to be 4 times as large as it currently is to offset the loss of Sky earnings.  Sky earnings in 2004 were £21m, ticket income £7m.  You do the maths

376939[/snapback]

Finally, someone with some business sense. C'mon people, these are simple business principles.

Agree totally but the reallity is that since Hughes has arrived the attendances have plummeted.  I cannot think of any other team in the Prem that would have suffered that ignominity.  It's obvious that Blackburn doesn't deserve a Prem team.

376916[/snapback]

The fact that we have a trust fund , coupled with a top manager who can not only balance the books and attract good players but undoubtedly move us into the higher reaches of the league (which itself brings in extra funds) means that the drop in attendances isn't necessarily as catostrophic as some people make out in the short term.

In the long run it will be - the demographic situation alone will kill the club stone dead within 30 years . But for now we have to keep Hughes happy ; when he leaves , which he inevitably will , we need to be an established top 8 team . Giving him money is not like giving Souness money . Souness' dealings were avoidable mistakes (to say the least) Hopefully the board/trust fund can learn from their errors of the Souness era and realise that Hughes is a different kind of gamble completely .

It has to said that if Hughes doesn't consider us ambitious enough , then our best players will come to the same conclusion . We could end up in a situation whereby a manager leaves us in a stronger position whilst also bringing us a net profit in the process - never mind a 900k deficit . That cannot be allowed tp happen .

Rovers can never be a top club, we will always have the selling factor or breeding club culture, both for playes and managers alike.

we could never keep a player such as Duff

we will certainly find it hard to keep Mark Hughes as manager if he keeps this club progressing

Rovers clearly punch way above their status, its a credit to the mamanger, the player, the board and whoever is associated with our team.

Take the trust fund away and Rovers will find their level is mediocre championship football.

There is no way to buck this current trend of wavering attendances. Options talked about are a settled price for matchday tickets, players wages cpas etc etc etc

quite simply to be a Rovers supporter is a football supporters dream, we lived it and are still doing so.

be grateful whilst it lasts tinykit.gif

My take on the subject is simply how much does it take to move us to the next level and what is the next level exactly.

We are around 8th and give or take we are among the clubs battling for 6th - 12th or thereabouts. If we want to go to the next level, I assume we are talking about challenging for 4th spot but that would mean alot of money being injected in not just 5-6 million for a striker.

Are we willing to do that? Is it practical?

Money doesnt buy everything, just look at Brum, Boro and Newcastle, the latter which has spent 50 million in 16 months and is languishing in 14th spot...

Hughes has spent wisely till now and has been careful, if I were the board, Id have a chat with him and see which positions in the first eleven does he think he can improve. A striker is a must sooner rather than later or the wheels on our run can drop...

Rovers can never be a top club, we will always have the selling factor or breeding club culture, both for playes and managers alike.

be grateful whilst it lasts tinykit.gif

376973[/snapback]

Though your point should technicaly be true, just look at Villereal in Spain, and even Deportivo. Once you get into the Champions League, the foundations are there to build a successful football club, which if you do correctly, means you have a great chance of staying there, due to the financial rewards you recieve.

At the end of the day, ''big'' clubs are just that because over the last 50-100 years they have won trophies, and built a reputation as great teams.

The next 50-100 years will see a same trend, and if Rovers win trophies and consistantly finish high up in the tabl over the next decade, then there is no reason why we can't be a ''big'' club again.

Look, lets stop fuc*king about thats non-sense. We have money with the walkers and we have a great manager!!!

Lets spend the money- if not now then when? He has shown great initiative up to noe and i dont think anyone can disagree!!

"HE IS A GREAT MANAGER ON A VERY TIGHT BUDGET, BACK HIM OR FALL BEHIND"

Lets give him some time to build a team that will be a strong forfe with many years to come..................

tinykit.gif

we have the choice now

Edited by John

Having actually BEEN to Villareal I'd echo that.  They have a ground smaller than ours with fewer fans, yet they repeatedly get into the Champion's League or UEFA cup.

If they can, why can't we?

377000[/snapback]

Spanish clubs used to have a bit of a bonus in that football is there chosen "national sport" they used to receive HEAVY subsidisation on transfer fees from local and national governments to keep improving there "national game" and keeping there league competitive, this was certainly the case up to a few years ago, not sure if its still the case now but certainly has helped them in the past!

Somewhat annoying to think that something silly like 60% of the tax a uk worker pays goes to the eu, 80% of which up till recently was going to spain and they were spending it on transfers like david beckham, ronalado, zidane etc!!

When Hughes say’s he wants to go to that next level – I don’t think for one minute he means so that we are always around the 6th – 10th mark, I think he means that he wants to look at trying to break into the 4th or 5th position.

If the club is serious, like Hughes then they need to attract some serious investment. How about the sponsorship of the Darwen end for a start or the whole ground?

I think the most realistic thing is to look at the Trustees and see what they are willing to give us. Uncle Jack would of backed Hughes, so maybe the Trustees should carry out his wish!

Seriously - I think Hughes needs around £25 million to look at making a big improvement on our team.

We need at least 4 or 5 players. The areas of concern must be the right wing, 2 strikers, Centre Midfield & Left Back.

Seriously - I think Hughes needs around £25 million to look at making a big improvement on our team.

377114[/snapback]

Seriously-I think your talking crap.

£25m? Hughes is never, ever going to get that, and Hughes knows himself £10m-£15m is well beyond his wildest dreams.

To improve the team we need a new striker, a midfielder and possibly a defender.

A new £4m midfielder and striker would improve the team no end, so £25m? I'd head back to your Championship Manager editor if I was you.

A good striker - will set you back alot of money to start with. We only got Bellamy for cheap because of the problems he was causing at newcastle. And like i said i think we need 2.

A good midfielder who is on that 'next level' will set you back another big sum.

£10 million isnt enough to greatly improve the quality of the starting 11

£10 million isnt enough to greatly improve the quality of the starting 11

377121[/snapback]

What? Now you are really talking rubbish, if Hughes got a £10m budget then there is no question that he would greatly improve our starting 11.

You just have to look outside England, because looking at the Aston transfer fee, its just plain stupid!

Edited by krislu

So you think that takes us to the 'next level'??

Neither have prem experience either. Afterall anyone can look good in the SPL

377133[/snapback]

What do you think the next bloody level is?

Petrov and McCarthy would take us there easily.... Challenging for the top 6 year in year out, not just playing out of skin and getting near there one season.

Be realistic, Man Utd wont be spending £25m this summer, so why the hell would we?

£10m and I will be delighted, as would Hughes, as he knows that's more than enough.

Im not saying £25 million straight away - im thinking more over the next 2 years.

I think when Hughes says next level he means looking to push the likes of Tottenham for the 4th or 5th spot.

Our team is already capable of finishing 6th - 8th

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.