Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

West Brom 2-0 rovers. Match review

colin

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oops, yes Marcus Bent.

Kevin Gallagher was quick on the turn and nippy over a few yards rather than having searing pace.

Reading the full transcript of the Pongolle interview in the LET tonight it seems as if he only views us as a means of getting back in the Liverpool starting line up.

(At the moment)

In 35 years of watching Rovers I think you can practically count our strikers with pace on your thumbs. Garner, Shearer (pre first injury), Bellamy.

Anyone else?

382491[/snapback]

I think Simon would be amazed at anybody suggesting that he had much pace Rev! Also Shearer was quick but was hardly Billy Whizz even before his first injury. Fastest player that I can recall before Bellamy although whether you class him as a striker or not was George (the train) Donis.

Reading the full transcript of the Pongolle interview in the LET tonight it seems as if he only views us as a means of getting back in the Liverpool starting line up.

(At the moment)

382524[/snapback]

There's not a lot a loanee can say in an interview without putting the backs up of either their employers or us. Even Zurab was mindful not to burn his bridges with Rangers even after settling in so well here. Certainly Pongolle is taking the right route in talking about Liverpool, they are after all his employers unless we decide to try and bring him in for good. Loanees are in a bit of a limbo really.

Babbel went a bit too much the other way though by suggesting he was playing for some kind of joke side compared to his mighty Liverpool FC, who didn't even want him.

As for fast players...

Franz Carr

Windy Miller before he started getting on a bit

Steven Reid seems to be able to run at pace with the ball

also Kevin Davies was rumoured to be able to make the Bacon Butty Run faster than anyone else in the club at the time.

Not quite so sure about that, I think it may depend on whether he sees Blackburn Rovers as a permanent career option or whether like the German centre half we rescued from there (can't even remember his name now) he considers it beneath him.

382491[/snapback]

That was Marcus Babbel.

Bellamy is easily the quickest player I've ever seen for Rovers. Shearer was quick before his knee injury. Gallacher was very nippy as well. Not sure about Garner being quick - maybe like Gally - nippy over the first few yards, which always helps as a forward. Other than that though I'm struggling a bit (Franny Carr, "The Train" and Windy were wingers). Kuqi is also very quick apparently, it's just a shame he needs to run 20 odd yards to get up to full speed.

Kuqi is also very quick apparently, it's just a shame he needs to run 20 odd yards to get up to full speed.

382580[/snapback]

Interesting when you start talking about the different types of pace. Kuqi does seem to be very quick over 30+ yrds but pace over the first five yards is more important for a forward imo.

Hansn't anybody considered how tired our side must be? We played a hectic, full on game on Wedensday and played two more games than WBA over the last month (LC Semis).

rover.gif loks like a weeks rest did not do us much good,and everton played on wednesday and then for 80 mins with 10 men tinykit.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.