BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Refs Are Biased By "big" Clubs

More ammo for this thread. Hot on the heels of an amazing 5 mins ET awarded for BRFC v Liverpool we see more bias at OT. Rooney did a Neill / Henchoz / Benni and went to remonstrate with the linesman for apparently ruling him offside so instead of booking Rooney Dein sent off Sodje! :blink:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More ammo for this thread. Hot on the heels of an amazing 5 mins ET awarded for BRFC v Liverpool we see more bias at OT. Rooney did a Neill / Henchoz / Benni and went to remonstrate with the linesman for apparently ruling him offside so instead of booking Rooney Dein sent off Sodje! :blink:

Explain that a bit more Theno?

Explain that a bit more Theno?

The linesman flagged Rooney to be offside, who then promptly went to argue with the linesman.

In the meantime, the referee went to Sodje who alledgedly pulled the shirt of an offside player, and booked him, resulting in him being sent off.

Thanks stu. But whatever there would absolutely not have been a snowflake in hells chance of sending off MU player in the same situation would there? I bloody hate weak / bent bstard refs! :angry: Even more mystefing was not one mention of it on MoTD in the post match analysis! Just endless gushing replays of Ronaldo all but disappearing up his own arse (bloody good player on top form granted). Imagine that scenario if it had been a Manc player. It's plain bloody wrong!

Thanks stu. But whatever there would absolutely not have been a snowflake in hells chance of sending off MU player in the same situation would there? I bloody hate weak / bent bstard refs! :angry: Even more mystefing was not one mention of it on MoTD in the post match analysis! Just endless gushing replays of Ronaldo all but disappearing up his own arse (bloody good player on top form granted). Imagine that scenario if it had been a Manc player. It's plain bloody wrong!

I agree 100%, thenob. Sickening. :(

An extract from Jeff's book:

Puts to rest any doubt that he thought he was a celebrity referee

“I played a little bit of extra time, waiting until play was at the Kop end, before sounding the final shrill blast…the fans behind the goal burst into spontaneous applause. It was longer and louder than normal, even for a big home win. Did they know it was my final visit? Was it applause for me? They are such knowledgeable football people, it would not surprise me.”

:D

To me, the signs of a man whose mother did not give him enough attention. Missing the "limelight' of being the man in the middle.

An extract from Jeff's book:

Puts to rest any doubt that he thought he was a celebrity referee

“I played a little bit of extra time, waiting until play was at the Kop end, before sounding the final shrill blast…the fans behind the goal burst into spontaneous applause. It was longer and louder than normal, even for a big home win. Did they know it was my final visit? Was it applause for me? They are such knowledgeable football people, it would not surprise me.”

:D

I just spat my coke all over the place. What a fool.

IPB Image

Edited by Rovermatt

• 1 month later...

I'm glad I'm not a Wigan fan because after watching their game against Arsenal just now I was fuming myself so they must be really peeved. Shocking big club favouring by the ref.

Firstly they should probably have had a penalty when Flamini tripped Heskey clean through. Although most of the commentators focused on Flaminis arm of Emiles shoulder, it was the contact with his leg that brought him down. It wasnt a nailed on pen but it would have gone against us and I imagine it would have been given at the other end.

Then the referee take his time allowing an injured Wigan player back on the pitch. Whilst down to 10 men Wigan concede. To make matters worse the goal is clearly offside.

Wigan had been wasting quite a bit of time (as most clubs would do away to Arsenal when leading), especially Kirkland. In a rather uncharacteristic way, Henry then pulled the ball out of the net, presented it to Kirkland as if to say "where has your time wasting got you now" and got involved in a slanging match with him. Bit rich after their antics at Ewood a few weeks back.

Arsenal then score a winner whereby Rosicky runs 5 yards offside whilst the right winger is played clear down the wing. The winger cuts it back for Rosicky to slam home. One day some team is going to really try and explot this and deliberatly tell their striker to keep running offside whilst the other players know to play the balls down the wing.

Arsenal infront, everyone happy. Injury time board comes up. Despite all the timewasting, all the moaning by Arsenal players and Wenger and all the jotting down of the ref and the forth official, now the Arse are infront - 4 minutes.

I'm glad that wasnt Rovers. :angry:

Edited by Hasta

Wigan had been wasting quite a bit of time (as most clubs would do away to Arsenal when leading), especially Kirkland. In a rather uncharacteristic way, Henry then pulled the ball out of the net, presented it to Kirkland as if to say "where has your time wasting got you now" and got involved in a slanging match with him. Bit rich after their antics at Ewood a few weeks back.

I'm glad that wasnt Rovers. :angry:

Fair play to kirkland for not ripping his head off and throwing it off Wigan pier.

I too am glad it wasn't Rovers :angry::angry::angry::angry:

The blame for this unfair and frankly sickening bit of big club bias rests solely on the three match officials! They should be relegated to non league reffing in order that they have to rethink their entire outlook on the game. :angry::angry:

Apparently he said he couldnt be sure if Heskey had been brought down- meaning in his mind he had to wave the claims away. Surely if he is in doubt he should be able to turninstantly to his linesman, who was yards away for help!

Secondly the doubt he has in his mind is so obviously due to the fact that he doesnt expect Wigan to win and so doesn't want to be the one to condemn Arsenal to defeat. If it was at the other end it is a penalty every time because he expects Arsenal to score at some point. To deny Arsenal the same penalty would be to postpone the inevitable and so the doubt in his mind doesnt matter!

I still have that horrible sick feeling in my stomach from the feeling of being cheated and I don't really give a hoot about Wigan. What we all care about is the fact that we have seen here, first hand, that clubs outside the Champions League are being cheated, disrespected and denied a level playing field. Personally, with that decision, the conduct of Henry(including a blatant dive in the first half that has not been mentioned enough) and the £££ pumped into 3 of the top 4, I am finding it difficult to remain interested in the Prem. :unsure:

Platt, McAllister and Gray all condemned it outright and basically called it how it is. So sudrely now something has to be done. Unfortunately its only going to be focused on this match and this ref, the wider, more difficult picture will not be looked at.

Platt, McAllister and Gray all condemned it outright and basically called it how it is. So sudrely now something has to be done. Unfortunately its only going to be focused on this match and this ref, the wider, more difficult picture will not be looked at.

It would be great if something was done. Unfortunately, nothing will be. Referees are deemed to be above such things; I have written many times to complain about stuff and I have a mind to think they don't even bother to read comments, you just get the same old rhetoric in reply.

Refs are only human, they go for the glory and you can't tell me they don't discuss what happens and have a laugh and joke about it.

I agree with you, gumboots, it's spoiling football for me too.

I still have that horrible sick feeling in my stomach from the feeling of being cheated and I don't really give a hoot about Wigan. What we all care about is the fact that we have seen here, first hand, that clubs outside the Champions League are being cheated, disrespected and denied a level playing field. Personally, with that decision, the conduct of Henry(including a blatant dive in the first half that has not been mentioned enough) and the £££ pumped into 3 of the top 4, I am finding it difficult to remain interested in the Prem. :unsure:

This is the very reason why so many once committed football fans are turning their backs on the game. I would say this is the prime reason, with costs being a close second.

This is the very reason why so many once committed football fans are turning their backs on the game. I would say this is the prime reason, with costs being a close second.

Balancing out the big club affect is the reason that I am so in favour of the introduction of video refereeing for important incidents.

The blame for this unfair and frankly sickening bit of big club bias rests solely on the three match officials!

I do think Heskey played a big part. All he had to do was follow his shot that hit the post and make sure that he followed it in. He'll never forget that mistake as long as he lives..... and especially if Wigan get relegated on goal difference.

Edited by thenodrog

Fat Phil Dowd has always been rubbish.

This to me says it all really - as a referee (or official) the guy is totally inept and useless as with many others.

Watched this with Wigan fans in a pub yesterday and their reactions of disgust where more of its expected rather than total damnation.

The thing is we should be bothered about this , as we should if it was anybody as this could easily have been us and as Aggy posted has been us on many a occasion this season.

Top it all off for Wigan , looks like jewell is going to get it in the neck now as well for his comments - when all he has done is stated the bloody obvious that everybody can see bar the officials and those that monitor them.

Winter basically says that big clubs influence who does and does not referee them. As a result, refs will favour them in order to protect their career.

We clearly saw that with Poll at OT last week.

What a bunch of pushovers the referee appointers are! At least in Italy they accepted bribes (i.e. gifts) before carrying out the wishes of the more influential club officials. :ph34r:

This is yet another instance of the never ending bias against all but the "special ones" i.e the clubs that the sycophantic media fawns and drools over; we all know who they are! The question is what can the other clubs or their supporters do about it? Surely the time has come for some kind of organised and co-ordinated protest to be made with maximum publicity. Something along the lines of: A mass boycot of all prem matches by the fans of aggrieved clubs accompanied by the message "Get this sorted out properly and permanently, or this protest goes on until you do". Would require organising by the Association of Football Supporters or some such body.

The protest should also consist of all aggrieved fans stopping buying any newspapers until they back the action.

Just think if ALL the fans of say 14 EPL clubs did this and stuck to it, it would be sorted out in quick time!

Edited by Fife Rover

I honestly don't think its deliberate.

But... we all know the media stick those officials will get if they cost the media loved 4 points. So yes subconsciously I suspect if they have even the slightest doubt (and at the pace the game is played these days - who wouldn't) they don't give anything against the big teams

As a ref you must have that sinking feeling if you dare to make a decision against the champions league cartel after all you get such media darlings as Alex and Jose calling for your head and you know you will have a meeting with the boss to 'discuss' the incident.

Big 4 are more to blame for declining attendances. - They are analagous to the US and Global warming - "It's not our fault/problem Bangladesh is under water"

Edited by OscarRaven

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.