Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Sponsorship Deal Confirmed

Bing

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

Nothing I've read has mentioned money - whether there is any or not.

Sponsor is the wrong word really. Its more a case of Barca giving publicity to a charity rather than Unicef giving Barca money to display thier logo.

Sponsor is the wrong word really. Its more a case of Barca giving publicity to a charity rather than Unicef giving Barca money to display thier logo.

I think that this is a fantastic move by Barca and feel that a few of the other big clubs in the world could take a leaf out of Barca's book instead of being money grabers and give some things back

barca have been very very clever here.

unicef have the shirt sponsorship, but then they have sold sponsorship packages to 4 or 5 other companies that will 'support' unicef and barcelona

basically getting their sponsorship cash whilst still keeping the moral high ground.

Actually, Barca pay UNICEF €1.5m per year, and donate 0.7% of their yearly income to charity.

I've not read anything about having other sponsors pay for that, but tbh I don't really care about it either. The bottom line is that UNICEF gets their name on an iconic shirt, something worth millions of pounds per year, as well as €7.5m over five years. I doubt the people helped by that €7.5m care whether it's a publicity stunt or not.

The cynic in me reckons this will simply be a short term thing to be replaced in a few seasons with a big money sponsor.

Barca receive more money than any other club in the world from their kit sponsor (Nike) because there is no other branding on the shirt. The deal is up for renewal at the moment and I can tell you that the going rate is €27m PER SEASON.

Putting a charity on the shirt, rather than a commercial entity simply allows Barca to extract even more cash out of the kit sponsor due to the additional coverage the shirt will receive.

Nothing altruistic about it.

• 4 weeks later...

Risk to football's betting sponsorship.

Went into Bet24's web site and whilst the poker was priced and promoted in $, it focussed on a trip to Barcelona. Bet24 seems to have a heavy European bias- even the basketball betting focussed on the European leagues.

Not an expert on online gambling but is Spud's Mansion deal at risk from the US clamp down?

• 2 months later...

The government is planning to look into whether betting firms should be allowed to sponsor football teams. It is thought that this may clash with the current legislation that prevent betting firms from advertising to audiences where more than 25% are under the age of 18. This could well spell the end of our brief fling with Bet 24 if it does happen. Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.