BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Much Adu About Freddy.

think it would be worth us giving him a trial to. rooney was turned down by liverpool as a kid and gerrard by everton, and nelsen by charlton so it doesnt mean he isnt good enough he just might not of shown his ability.

i agree, pick. apologies if it's been mentioned previously, but i'm sure adu played with the admiral at DC utd ?

Edited by pleasure

We can have a look at him, but we can't sign him at this point in time, he's never going to get a work permit, too young and not played enough games for the USA.

That and his handlers in the US will never let him sign for a team as "small" as Rovers. He's the Next Big Thing over here. If he goes anywhere it's going to have to be a Big Club so that the US fans can think our football program is advancing apace.

That being said, his manager at DC wants him to go play at a team like PSV Eindhoven, so maybe we have a shot.

That and his handlers in the US will never let him sign for a team as "small" as Rovers. He's the Next Big Thing over here. If he goes anywhere it's going to have to be a Big Club so that the US fans can think our football program is advancing apace.

I can hardly believe that . if the likes of Man U are rejecting him then his next move should be to a club like Rovers . With all due respect to the American league it's still a big move up in his career to play in the prem with any team .

I'd definitely like to see Rovers take an interest with regard to a future signing . I saw him play a couple of years back and he was obviously a massive talent ; perhaps a move and a new environment would suit him well .

As for the work permit I'm sure that doesn't present too much of a problem these days .

Logically you are right Blue Phil, but you can also understand why it is important for the image of American Football (you know what I mean) that he moves to a big club. For his career it would make perfect sense to move to a club of our size, establish his name and reputation in Europe and then make a move to a bigger club, that is if he is all he is hyped up to be. However, if he does do that then those who are promoting him have to admit, at least for a short while, that he is not quite all that he is cracked up to be and that he isn't amongst the worlds best. This would be a blow both to his own image and to the sport itself. For this reason he is probably better off staying in the MLS, where he can never be exposed as being less than they say he is, until a big club comes in for him, if one does.

I can hardly believe that . if the likes of Man U are rejecting him then his next move should be to a club like Rovers . With all due respect to the American league it's still a big move up in his career to play in the prem with any team .

I'd definitely like to see Rovers take an interest with regard to a future signing . I saw him play a couple of years back and he was obviously a massive talent ; perhaps a move and a new environment would suit him well .

As for the work permit I'm sure that doesn't present too much of a problem these days .

No, I totally agree that he should go to a team like Rovers. I'd love to see him here - the more American exposure Rovers get, the happier I am. Oh, and he's a decent talent too, so you know, improving the team would be nice. :D

As for the work permit - a lad from my high school ended up in the ManYoo youth based on his British father and the consequent UK citizenship. Apparently for players that young it is rather difficult. I base this off of conversations with his HS coach who told me the whole story (knowing that I'm one of the few football fans that have come through his clutches).

• 7 months later...

It would appear that young Freddy Adu has reached a deal in principle to move to Benfica with the details to be ironed out next week according to this blog by Ives Galarcep,a prominent footie wrtier here in the States.This will probably be the best move for all parties involved.The playr can furhter develop in a different environment,the MLS can move on from self created hype that never materialized.

Lead entry on this blog

Good spot digging up this thread Florida Rover. I think a move to Portugal will benefit Freddy more than a move to England or Scotland (although work permit issues would have prevented that anyway)... given his physique, he's certainly not ready to play in England or Italy, and while Holland would perhaps have been his best option, Benfica isn't a bad place to wind up.

All that remains now is for him to live up to the hype he generated four years ago. Maybe European football training will help with that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.