BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] More Madness From Mcclaren

I have to agree, Bacup blue, I feel sorry for McClaren too, I'm sure he's a very nice bloke. However, I'd wish him to be anywhere except where he is now (except, perish the thought, Manager at Rovers...).

Your Mourinho points have merit, particularly the last one, but I think what every English person is crying out for is for the blighters on the field to show a bit of desire, pride and passion. It's bad enough on the occasions when Rovers don't seem to have it; but these guys are playing for their country for goodness' sake :angry2:

I agree,one thing i can say about the Chelsea side when Jose was in charge,was the fact they had desire,pride and passion in abundance,and there was a real team spirit in the camp.Almost like a siege mentality where it was a `we will show them`kind of spirit in everything they did,all the top managers do it Fergie,Wenger etc.

For me this is what separates the best from the rest and more importantly would make him an ideal candidate for England manager.

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree,one thing i can say about the Chelsea side when Jose was in charge,was the fact they had desire,pride and passion in abundance,and there was a real team spirit in the camp.Almost like a siege mentality where it was a `we will show them`kind of spirit in everything they did,all the top managers do it Fergie,Wenger etc.

For me this is what separates the best from the rest and more importantly would make him an ideal candidate for England manager.

Anybody notice how Hughesy does this as well by the way? (like he did against Arsenal and the bully boys tag)

The latest goss. Or, "we haven't a clue and are still gobsmacked by yesterday's results".

Napoleon asked for lucky generals.

Problem is that judging by his Austria selection, McClown's genius will be in chucking it all away again.

See this is the problem, while I was one of the people backing the selection of Martin O Neill over McClown I don't fancy him for the job now. He's not done enough at Villa to convince me he is the right man for the job. BUT he has the credentials for the England job, in otherwords he's a nice bloke, mild mannered and politically correct. It's pretty much the way England have selected their bosses for all time now. It's not just Barwick, it's been the case all along. We need to toss the PC requirement and have us a fireball, job is crying out for Mourihno it really is, we need a radical change of direction at the FA. Best England manager in semi recent history for me was Hoddle and he was canned for a silly mouth. Nowt to do with footy really. When I watched Hoddles England play in the World Cup I thought we were destined for big things. We looked good and the team had youth right through it, I really thought we had a chance to return to the top, well it all got wasted.

Listen to us, already assuming qualification because we only need a point, we are not there yet.

I have to agree, Bacup blue, I feel sorry for McClaren too, I'm sure he's a very nice bloke. However, I'd wish him to be anywhere except where he is now (except, perish the thought, Manager at Rovers...).

Your Mourinho points have merit, particularly the last one, but I think what every English person is crying out for is for the blighters on the field to show a bit of desire, pride and passion. It's bad enough on the occasions when Rovers don't seem to have it; but these guys are playing for their country for goodness' sake :angry2:

Spot on Mum, the players look more like it's a pain in the ass to have to bother themselves with England duty now. The old Emlyn Hughes statement way back when, when the players were haggling over appearance money. I believe Emlyn said, " I would crawl up Wembley Way on my hands and knees to play for England for nothing" Now THAT is what it should be about.

Edited by USABlue

And then massacre the blazers at the FA and put someone in place who knows what they're doing. And tehn get a decent manager in. Someone who has a track record of success.

Someone who has an open and demonstrative passion for the game also.

Oh and the talk of Alan Shearer as England boss is just plain ridiculous

Edited by USABlue

darren bent called upto england squad.

i think that really proves how much trouble england have in the striking department-we have to look to a guy who cant even get in the spurs side..

thats 3 strikers now who arent even playing for their teams there bent, defoe and crouch, and alan smith who plays midfield for newcastle

Edited by Mozzer

darren bent called upto england squad.

i think that really proves how much trouble england have in the striking department-we have to look to a guy who cant even get in the spurs side..

That makes 2 guys who can't get in the Spurs side!

thats whats wrong with the england national team..too many players dont play for their clubs team but still get in england squad, crouch, bent, defoe, too many have only returned from injury and get in the england squad, and beckham doesnt have to play for more then a month and still gets in..

if england do qualify for euro 2008 i fear some of the england players have had their day..

I've just ran an analysis of the best possible starting XI for england and it composed of this:

Bentley

Bentley Bentley Bentley Bentley

Bentley Bentley Bentley Beckham

Bentley Bentley

Beckham on the left side of midfield?? or is that 1 Bentley up front and 2 goalkeepers?

So you'll be happy to put up with England "bigging themselves up" for months if they qualify on Wednesday? With luck Croatia will win and spare us all another 6 months of media hype.

I'd rather England "bigging themselves up" for a chance at a trophy, than just qualification. We always have much more to play for than Scotland.

Unfourtunalty we take qualification for granted, yes it has been poor, but we still might not only qualify but win the group. Thats without even playing well.

All the media hype is because we should be winning trophys, Scotland never expect to.

Saturday was a bit nerve racking. As much as I think McClaren is the wrong man for the job I'm certainly not in the "let's get beat and he get's fired" camp as England should be at the Euro's, it will be a poorer tournament without us and I'd never cheer for my own country to lose. We got very very lucky, not just with Israel's win but with Croatia's loss. I think we will win at Wembley, even if it's because Croatia take their foot off the gas as they are through. It is also a sad testament to the perceived quality we have in England when an out of sorts Beckham and 3 reserve strikers are ready to play. Without Owen or Rooney there is nothing up top. The French, Dutch, and Italians have an embarrasssment of riches up front, we should too.

We got lucky and have another chance at the prize. Hopefully the 3 days of flag waving, bulldog spirit cliche's, and players stating that this will be the biggest game of their careers they'll actually deliver.

Drop Robinson for Carson, Hargreaves for Lampard, and have Beckham as super sub. If we need something late on Beckham will come on create some magic as it will fit his legacy.

Was thinking to myself this morning ... you only used to get teh England gig if you had been at the top of Club football for a number of years.

Steve McClaren hadn't been a club manager for very long, and for teh money he spent hadn't achieved much, now Shearer wants it, whgat a disaster that would be.

They've got to sack McClaren and give it to O'Neill in my book.

IMHO, given the abuse handed out to every England manager over the past 40 years since Alf Ramsey left, anyone who applies for the job is probably mentally unsuitable for the job.

McClown's £3m a year salary probabbly goes a long way to explain his current position.

Of course qualifying for the Euros is really no real cause for celebration. Is it? It's a bit like celebrating not being relegated really.

Steve McClaren hadn't been a club manager for very long, and for teh money he spent hadn't achieved much, now Shearer wants it, whgat a disaster that would be.

Why would he be a disaster? Klinsmann, Dunga and van Basten haven't done so badly have they?

I don't think someone like Shearer, who was a professional for 18 years & played in over 600 games in his career, needs to have managed anyone to get a top job because he's been there and done that as a player to gain that vital experience a younger coach probably wouldn't have had. He's been through title chases, relagation battles and world cups with various teams and has probably learnt from some of the best and the worst to add to his experience. Along with his experience, he is also one of the most famous players on the planet and would instantly command respect from the players, kind of like Hughes did when he first got into management. He wasn't bad for a first timer either was he ;-)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.