BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] More Madness From Mcclaren

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're not overrated in football, the players are good enough. They show that every week in the premiership, they just need the right man in charge to sort them out at international level. I'll just have to support my country of birth this summer.

By the way, when I mean sort them out that includes dropping some of them and giving them a kick up the backside. The players are at fault as well, but the quality is there.

Edited by Eddie

Bye the bye - here are Macca's stats from wikipedia. And remember kids - wikipedia is infallible!

Team From To G W L D Win %

Middlesbrough 12/6/01 11/5/06 250 97 93 60 38.80

England 1/8/06 Tomorrow probably 17 9 4 4 52.94

Edited by Wolverine

We're not overrated in football, the players are good enough. They show that every week in the premiership, they just need the right man in charge to sort them out at international level. I'll just have to support my country of birth this summer.

I didn't mean to sound obtuse but it seems that the press seem to think we have a God (sorry if I offend anyone) given right to be in every final that comes around. I like the team and pay horrendous amounts of money here in the states to watch it on the TV, but since Euro96 it seems to me that the management just think that what ever they through out on the pitch will suffice as we are England. Look at the team sheet tonight with all of the out of position players for example and to start a newbie in goal in this game?

Andorra have 3 mins to save our chances

The fact we had to rely on Andorra to save our chances sums up how awful we've been.

Todays performance was totally disgraceful. I'm totally gutted after todays performance especially after the fightback. Why we sat deep after we leveled I will never know.

Giving one of the biggest jobs in world football to one of the worst Premiership managers was asking for trouble, McClown couldn't organise a subbuteo defence let alone meld that shower of sh*t into something constituting a "back four".

Of course, but then that feeling that we have a right to be there is the same in basically every major footballing nation. It is a product of the fact that the vast majority of the time the same core group of sides qualify. We were lucky to even be in with a chance of qualifying tonight, not only on the basis of the Israel v Russia match at the weekend, but simply the number of points dropped over the entire course of qualification by other sides, the quality of performance given the significance of the match is simply unacceptable.

Here we go..

Let's start pretending Mourinho would want the job, or the FA can hand pick a replacement.

Just wait and see who applies for the job fellas..

Sam someone, Mr Curbishley,..

In fact there it is.

I thought I heard him say he wouldnt mind it, but then again we may get anyone.

i've been following this forum for the last five years and i have a lot of respect for the opinions i've read but i'm sure you'll all understand how angry i am at the england result tonight, i'm in thailand and before the match i spoke to a scottish man and said that it would be a joke if england qualified and scotland didnt but no way did i expect england to lose to croatia at home its beyond belief the only good thing that can come out of this is we get a good manager ie mourinho.

ps i never thought i would see the day that england would fail to qualify for a major tournament, its beyond comprhension, when this group was drawn i said to my friends that there was no point in watching this qualifying campaign because the group was too easy

We're not overrated in football, the players are good enough. They show that every week in the premiership, they just need the right man in charge to sort them out at international level.

Eddie you're going to have to give up on this one. This supposed golden generation is not good enough. Sure as individuals they perform well in the PL but as a team they are simply second-rate. With, what we now have to recognise as, a decent manager in charge all the team could manage was losing in quarter-finals of every competition.

The only thing golden about this group is their pay packets, when the chips have been down they have failed on each occassion. Anyway a nice peaceful summer next year will come as a relief.

It's hard to know where to start to have a rant at this.

1) Goalkeeper. I feel really sorry for 22yr old Scott Carson. Never gets a game and then gets thrown into a pressure situation like this. He should have either been blooded a few games back or James should be playing in case of Fat Robbo. McLaren has made a big call on a crucial day in order to look 'decisive' and take the heat off him once England qualified. It's backfired big style.

2) Fat Frank and Gerrard doesn't work. It hasn't done for 5 years. It didn't do again. Sticking Barry in there as an extra man doesnt matter. They don't work. Gerrard was mediocre in the first half. Rubbish in the second. Fat Frank was woeful all game. At least he had the character to take a penalty which leads me to....

3) Wayne Bridge. Spineless. Didn't want the ball. Played every ball safe. None of his usual enthusiasm to go forward. Scared to tackle around his box. His performance stank of someone who didn't want to be the one to make the 'mistake'. Shocking. I don't like Ashley Cole as a person but thank god for England when he's fit.

4) Whilst I'm criticising. Micah Richards was poor and appeared to me to look unenthusiastic, especcially later on. He often jogged back when a Hendry or Samba would be sprinting back. Lescott isn't good enough. Campbell has served Enbgland well but is past it. Defoe is a good Premier League striker but won't score international goals.

5) Fair play to Crouch. I thought he did OK. I also thought SWP did OK and looked positive. I know he's Bentleys rival for that position but in the first half he was one of the most likely. Joe Cole is out of position. He's a soft diving little git who I cant stand but he tried and did OK. Try him in Fat Frank or Gerrards position.

6) Beckham. Yes he set the goal up with a ball into the middle. However he also saw very little of the ball and is immobile. He's had his day. England need to look to the future and I'm talking more Lennon than Bents. Beckham has served England well, he's a nice guy and all but he's always been overhyped. Give him his 100th cap and wave adios. Or 'Have a nice Day' as he's now used to.

7) McClown. Must go. All my points above he's ignored at some point. even tonight in the last 5 minutes we had 4 men back. i know Croatia left a few up front but that should have left us space. Jesus Christ his job depended on it and yet Richards, Campbell, Lescott and Spineless were still in their own half. Surely, surely one (probably Richards) should have been moved upfield. He's cocked up time and time again in this campaign. Look back through the threads on this board. He's gone surely. Who do we replace with. I don't care. Give flippin Owen Coyle a go. I hear he's the next best thing since sliced bread. <_<

At least Bentley gets a rest next summer! :rover:

I said earlier in this thread I hope we don`t qualify and McLaren is the reason why.

Would you honestly have liked to sneak in after relying on Israel, Macedonia and god knows who else. We would have been just as bad, if not worse in the summer. Its the kick in the back side we have needed for a long time.

Its a time to take 1 step back to take 2 steps forward. Short term pain for long term gain.

Its 3 years to the world cup. Lets get a good manager and build a world cup winning team.

Guest Kamy100

Over the last 6 years time after time we get exposed in the big games because we can't keep possession, it happened again tonight, we kept giving the ball away in stupid positions and ultimately that has cost us, when you come up against teams with good technical ability it is imperative that you keep possession, it appears that England can't do this.

'One of those games which we had no control over - we were in the lap of the gods' says McClown in the press conference.............FFS we were playing in the game of course we had control over it you t1t. No a clue......now he is going on about gambles and how it did not pay off......no ###### shirlock.

McClaren has probably destroyed his career tonight, if that's any conciliation to anyone. It was obvious to everyone he wasn't international class, but at least at Middlesbrough he had built a reputation of being a reasonably successful club manager. What chairman in their right mind will appoint him now, the backlash from fans would be vicious.

His only chance will probably be at a lower league club, but having been England manager he will now probably suffer from delusions of grandeur and see himself 'above' that. Hopefully he'll have to settle for a back-seat coaching role at a Premiership side, meaning we won't have to see his smug face on television again.

not drunk or having a laugh!!!!!

a shirt pull isnt legal..jeeees h christ

its like doing 35 mph in a 30 everyone does it but theres a chance you will get caught

That looks very much like an admission of guilt (in writing as well) Abbey. Hope there are no plods reading this.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.