BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] More Madness From Mcclaren

I have to admit to being rather happy at Boro's performances this season, as at least it has put McClaren out of the running for the England job. I have no problem with the guy but I think England need a big personality as manager again, and a face from outside the current set-up.

I doubt that Boro will go down as they have more match winners than the side around them, especially as their injury problems seem to be clearing up too.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Instead of putting the barricades up, Clifford says McClaren must develop good relationships with journalists.

"It's important to be as helpful as possible - you have to know the pressure that journalists are under," he told BBC Sport.

"I've been in the industry for the last 40 years, working with people like The Beatles, Frank Sinatra, Muhammad Ali and Simon Cowell, and I do my best to play the game by them (journalists).

"You have to be open and approachable and build relationships.

"One of the first things Steve needs to do is sit down and have lengthy conversations with members of the media and get to know them."

Rubbish! Thats where the woefully weakkneed media appeaser Ericcson went wrong. He spent his tenure at Lancaster Gate picking teams that suited the media. Exactly the opposite tactic of the only English manager to lift the ultimate prize, the World Cup.

[i

"I've been in the industry for the last 40 years, working with people like The Beatles, Frank Sinatra, Muhammad Ali and Simon Cowell, and I do my best to play the game by them (journalists)."

Spot the odd one out? :blink:

Edited by HertsRover

I'm patriotic and wanted an Englishman to be given the England job but I'd have rather had a Scot than him! Completely inadequate, he only ever seems to be asking other people how to do his job.

Ironically, he had no problems campaigning Stewart Downing for Englands WC troops - AND managed to give him a few minutes on the pitch.

As the majority of the most recent England managers have been hounded out of the job by the media it makes sense for Mclaren to use a media manipulator to help him out.

For which he will be hounded by the media. (Irony anyone?)

Which of this lot did not leave without the media's condemnation ringing in their ears:

Keegan

Hoddle

Robson

Taylor

Wilkinson

Ericsson

Venables

(the latter probably got away with it because he used to take them to his club and get them rat-arsed. Probably a better & cheaper method than employing Clifford.

"I represented OJ Simpson when he was accused of murder, which was certainly a bit tougher" - Max Clifford gives a frank assessment of the task of making the English public warm to Steve McClaren.

"I represented OJ Simpson when he was accused of murder, which was certainly a bit tougher" - Max Clifford gives a frank assessment of the task of making the English public warm to Steve McClaren.

Clifford let a statement slip a couple of weeks ago about how from a PR perspective it was good for his client McClaren to be following a perceived failure in Sven. If Sven had won the Woorld Cup it would have been a near impossible act to follow.

Which shows the absurdity of the situation the FA created prior to Germany 2006. Our head coach was sitting next to Sven and part of him must have been hoping we'd fail!

• 2 weeks later...

Well it looks like Mclaren has dropped an injury free Beckham from the England squad. Cannot believe this myself, Beckham should definately be in the squad, and probably still in the starting 11. He is just too valuable-a-player to drop.

It's a friendly, he is trying new things. Everyone knows what Beckham can do.

Proof that MaClaren can't win as England boss!

Loads of been calling for Beckham to dropped...when he gives it a try...others say "you can't drop Beckham!"

Edited by FourLaneBlue

to valuable??

The guy is past it! People bring up how good his set pieces are but have you ever thought that someone else(Lennon) playing there could have created more chances during open play!? He does nothing during open play and its like playing with 10 men.

Thank god he's dropped, but i expect McLaren will soon lose his bottle and bring him back in for the next game. This is just a move making him say to the public, "ohh, im not Sven"

Well it looks like Mclaren has dropped an injury free Beckham from the England squad. Cannot believe this myself, Beckham should definately be in the squad, and probably still in the starting 11. He is just too valuable-a-player to drop.

about time. beckham is only valuable in marketing and sponsorship terms, so he will return to the squad.

Point taken about it only being a friendly. When I heard the news on SSN I didn't really think that the squad was being named for a friendly. Maybe Mclaren is trying new things and new players and making friendlys have some kind of meaning.

I guess the real test will come when Mclaren comes to naming a competitive match squad.

Beckham may not have the impact he once did, but he is definately still the second best English right midfielder and perhaps the best choice at this moment in time while Lennon gains experience.

Who would people have in their squad instead?

So you'd rather sacrifice depth in one position for another? :rolleyes:

Maybe it would be more sensible to have a number of options in right midfield and maybe drop one of the many pointless central midfielders Eriksson has included in his squads?

Right now, if you take two right midfielders, then Beckham and Lennon are certainly the best options.

Edited by tcj_jones

Team I would like to see given a shot:

-

-------------Rooney-----Ashton

J Cole----Hargreaves---Lampard-----Gerrard

---A Cole----Terry------Ferdinand----Neville

------------------Robinson

Subs who should make an appearence: lennon, Carragher, Crouch, Downing, Carrick.

Dropping beckham seems sensible to me. Shows that everybogdy is fighting for thier place.

Team I would like to see given a shot:

-

-------------Rooney-----Ashton

J Cole----Hargreaves---Lampard-----Gerrard

---A Cole----Terry------Ferdinand----Neville

------------------Robinson

Subs who should make an appearence: lennon, Carragher, Crouch, Downing, Carrick.

Dropping beckham seems sensible to me. Shows that everybogdy is fighting for thier place.

How would that team have done at the world cup? Crouch? No thanks.

How would that team have done at the world cup? Crouch? No thanks.

I think it may well have fared baetter than the one we did put out, but that is with the benefit of hindsight. And really it isn't much different to the side that featurued in the world cup, only Ashton has not had significant playing time for the national set up.

And I think Crouch does have a future with england as an impact player from the bench so should still figure in plans.

What everybody needs to see is Ashton have a stormer as we desperately need a striker to emerge of real quality.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.