BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] More Madness From Mcclaren

Usually Al looks out of his depth and a bit boring, but last night he was the best of the four presenters and really showed he had knowledge of the game and looked absolutely gutted by the result - Shearer for England manager!

Saw a determination in AS that i haven't seen during his spell as a pundit, reminded me of the winning mentality he brought to any side he represented. He looked like he was ready for the call...

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gerrard has said we conceded the killer goal because we were going for the winner... :blink:

His skill is all below his neck. Headless chicken on the pitch and a scouser off it. The entire team set off like the bloody Light Brigade when all we needed to do was play out a deadly dull draw on a difficult pitch against a team that had already qualified. The Germans and Italians will be absolutely p1ssing themselves at our ineptitude.

Someone here said The FA should be gone too, I totally agree. It's time for a total revamp from the TOP DOWN. Let's get some real footy people in there, who? no idea. I can only see more of the same sameness in the appointment of the next English manger. Footballing knowledge and tactical nous run a poor second and third on their list of requirements.

For those who are condemning McClaren as a rubbish manager - I hope you are not the same people who argue that Souness is a good manager. McClaren was one of, if not the most, successful Boro bosses in recent history. Something similar has been said about Souness and Rovers. Which just goes to show that "everyone has his day and some days last longer than others." Managers like Sven, McClaren and Souness reaped the fortune of their circumstances - but got found out in the end.

Oh do be quiet.

Souness was a good manager because he won the Worthington Cup and got us promoted and finished 6th.

McClaren won a league cup.

Souness then lost the plot, but to say he wasnt a good manager is just wrong. He was a good manager for a time and then wasnt. It happens all the time. Kenny Dalglish was wonderful at Newcastle and Queens Celtic wasnt he?

Still, if only Alan Mahon and Keiran Donnoly had played more eh?

For those who are condemning McClaren as a rubbish manager - I hope you are not the same people who argue that Souness is a good manager. McClaren was one of, if not the most, successful Boro bosses in recent history. Something similar has been said about Souness and Rovers. Which just goes to show that "everyone has his day and some days last longer than others." Managers like Sven, McClaren and Souness reaped the fortune of their circumstances - but got found out in the end.

How did Sven get 'found out'?

Only took us to every major tournament, something all Englishmen would go a bundle on this morning if it was true.

I notice he's not doing too bad at club level right now either.

Oh do be quiet.

Souness was a good manager because he won the Worthington Cup and got us promoted and finished 6th.

McClaren won a league cup.

Souness then lost the plot, but to say he wasnt a good manager is just wrong. He was a good manager for a time and then wasnt. It happens all the time. Kenny Dalglish was wonderful at Newcastle and Queens Celtic wasnt he?

Still, if only Alan Mahon and Keiran Donnoly had played more eh?

Flopsy, take a step back. Forget you are a Rovers fan for a few minutes, if possible- and look at it objectively.

Look at Souness' career holistically - his failures at everywhere bar Rangers/Rovers. Consider the resources he had at his disposal in getting us up, compared to Allardyce, eg, at Bolton. Consider how many other managers have got their teams quite high up the league (George Burley/Peter Reid/Glenn Roeder). Consider the fortunate draws in our Worthy Cup run.

I do not deny that Souness did some good for us. But you cannot tell me that he is a 'good' manager. If he is a good manager, so is McClaren. Souness benefited from the circumstances and then got found out when his talents were truly put to the test. The same applies to McClaren.

Fair enough. Let's just say: Souey NOT for England.

The FA must look at why the production of English talent is drying up with every season that goes by. Look at our U21 team. It is weaker than previous years (although doing well under Pearce). Michael Mancienne?!!

Within 10 years, will most of our U21 players come from Prem reserves, without an appearance to their name, and Championship clubs? Yup, imo.

Edited by rover6

McClaren was a very poor appointment in the first place and the results have now confirmed it. The only positive is that he's now gone.

Going forward, I think experience is needed for international management. The only Englishman I can think of that fits the bill is Roy Hodgson. He's managed internationally with both Switzerland and Finland and has got both teams playing above expectations. If he did the same for England we'd win something.

Has anybody thought that whoever we get will see the FA with 4 managers on the payroll? I imagine that SGE is prob out of the circle now that he is working for City BUT his contract was until 2008, Maclaren's been potted and will be getting paid off, ditto I should imagine for his useless Spiv assistant and whoever the new manager is will be. Heads must roll over this shameful state of affairs alone.

Edited by thenodrog

The FA must look at why the production of English talent is drying up with every season that goes by. Look at our U21 team. It is weaker than previous years (although doing well under Pearce). Michael Mancienne?!!

Within 10 years, will most of our U21 players come from Prem reserves, without an appearance to their name, and Championship clubs? Yup, imo.

I suggest they ask the SFA. The endless production line of quality Scottish talent dried up in the late 70's never to return. Maybe they can point out the reasons. I doubt that its cos squillions of foreigners went to play in the Scottish Leagues in the 70's.

I can tell you that I certainly would have resigned and I am sure I am far from being alone in that respect.

so....you'd write off millions of pounds...knowing you'll never been employed again and you'll have to leave the country cos everyone is gonna make you'll life a misery, all out of principal ?

come on eddie, you and i both know you'd take the money! :closedeyes:

Interesting interview with Roy Keane on SSN. He reckons that England have players as good technically, as lots of other teams. He says the problem is definately down to inflated egos. OHe says once egos take over, you're on a loser. He says that as good as the players are, good players don't make good teams. He thinks the England players don't care enough about the international games. The game in England is club orientated.

Just a thought, how about Keane for England manager? There's no way that anyone would underperform with him in charge.

From that, something I noticed last night - Gerrard, when asked how disappointed he was, said that it was as disappointing a night he'd had, with England. He also added maybe unvoluntarily, that he'd had some very disappointing times with liverpool. It did sound as though he was more interested in his club than his country.

It did sound as though he was more interested in his club than his country.

I think that is a large part of the problem, for the players with the "big four" clubs the Champions League has become the be all and end all to the extent that playing for your country is an irritating distraction.

As a fan of a Premiership Club I'm the same if I'm being honest. I was only thinking yesterday afternoon that I'd be happy with England losing in exchange for Rovers getting three points on Sunday.

As for new manager, there's only one real choice in my eyes if he'd take it - Mourinho. He seems to have a bit of something about him that would counteract the "Not bloody England again" syndrome.

Of the other potential candidates I feel Redknapp is vastly over-rated in the Venables mould, Woy Hodgson as put forward by Scotty is all style and no substance imo and much as I love Shearer it would be crazy to appoint someone with no previous experience.

Hope the FA don't have a flash of inspiration and seek out the other potentially outstanding candidate rather closer to home. :unsure:

I know, why don't the FA get a break down of interested and suitable candidates and let the public vote (via phone, online text etc) for who we want as England manager? I know there is a risk of all the jocks messing with the vote but there must be a way to do it so that only English supporters can vote eg must register to vote. :tu:

Even better we could even hold an X-Factor style contest to find the suitable candidate. :lol:

so....you'd write off millions of pounds...knowing you'll never been employed again and you'll have to leave the country cos everyone is gonna make you'll life a misery, all out of principal ?

come on eddie, you and i both know you'd take the money! :closedeyes:

Not a chance. If you messed a job up as badly as this then you at least have to finish it in the right way.

Interesting interview with Roy Keane on SSN. He reckons that England have players as good technically, as lots of other teams. He says the problem is definately down to inflated egos. OHe says once egos take over, you're on a loser. He says that as good as the players are, good players don't make good teams. He thinks the England players don't care enough about the international games. The game in England is club orientated.

Just a thought, how about Keane for England manager? There's no way that anyone would underperform with him in charge.

Keane is from Cork, arguably the most Republican place in Ireland. There's no way he'd take the England job.

Edited by Rovermatt

Lawro has just been on and when asked who should be next manager, he said Arsene Wenger.

Could you imagine Theo Walcott's reaction?!

Why would Wenger take that job? Arsenal are flying at the moment and look good for the next few years. It's a job he'll never be fired from and whenever he wants it he could probably just ask for the France job. The England job is a fantastic one, the money is great and the support and potential make it second to none on the international scene for me, but if you have a very good and very secure club job I wouldn't touch it.

Keane is from Cork, arguably the most Republican place in Ireland. There's no way he'd take the England job.

Well if he aint asked, we'll never know. Bloody good call though. Time for a hard man, someone to put the fear of god up 'em.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.