• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Team I would like to see given a shot:

-

-------------Rooney-----Ashton

J Cole----Hargreaves---Lampard-----Gerrard

---A Cole----Terry------Ferdinand----Neville

------------------Robinson

Subs who should make an appearence: lennon, Carragher, Crouch, Downing, Carrick.

Dropping beckham seems sensible to me. Shows that everybogdy is fighting for thier place.

What about Lampard to the bench, slide Gerrard to that spot and stick Lennon in.

Maybe it would be more sensible to have a number of options in right midfield and maybe drop one of the many pointless central midfielders Eriksson has included in his squads?

Spot on! Its quite stupid to include players like Jenas,Downing and Richardson instead of Beckham, those players will never challenge for a place for England. Bringing back Phil Neville really points they way for McClaren.

Edited by mattjansen

If he has left Becks out for any other reason than fitness levels then he has made a massive mistake. Becks is a crutial part of the england team unit and we may aswell make full use of his passing and crossing skills before he retires. Lampard and Gerrard never do it for england, becks does time and time again! :angry:

David Beckham is a world class right sided midfielder.

The only world class right sided midfielder has.

Dropping him to win some brownie points for ''Not just being a newer Sven'' is not the way to go.

The way to prove that is by winning some bloody important football matches.

If the rumours about dropping Beckham permanently is true, I don't know what to say to be honest. His work rate, his overall class, his technique and obviously set pieces and passing will be missed - the World Cup showed the techniqual gap between the English players and other so called "world class players" like Pirlo, Totti, a lot of the Germans and so on - in my opinion Beckham and Joe Cole were two out of around twenty to qualify in that contest.

If the rumours about dropping Beckham permanently is true, I don't know what to say to be honest. His work rate, his overall class, his technique and obviously set pieces and passing will be missed - the World Cup showed the techniqual gap between the English players and other so called "world class players" like Pirlo, Totti, a lot of the Germans and so on - in my opinion Beckham and Joe Cole were two out of around twenty to qualify in that contest.

I wouldn't agree with that at all. is set pieces are excellent but in open play I would say Gerrard, lampard, J Cole, Hargreaves, Carrick, Lennon and Scott Parker all have more to offer than Beckham. Sure none of them have his passing ability (although Gerrard, Lampard and Carrick all come close) but all have other aspects of their game that make up for those deficiencies.

We need pace and power out wide, someone who can drive at a defence. Gerrard and Lennon have far more to offer in that department than Beckham. Even SWP would give England more options than Beckham when looking to counter attack or stretch the play.

Bechkham was a good player for England but should never been captain. He has had his day.

Ridiculous decision to drop Beckham, and as has been said on this thread already, smacks of "look at me, I'm different to Sven" from McLaren.

Look at the goals England scored at the World Cup - 1-0 wins versus Paraguay and Ecuador, both thanks to Beckham. Crouch's goal to break the deadlock vs T&T was from a superb Beckham cross. Take these goals out of the equation and England's World Cup campaign was an even bigger failure than we already know it to be.

It's a friendly, he is trying new things. Everyone knows what Beckham can do.

Proof that MaClaren can't win as England boss!

Loads of been calling for Beckham to dropped...when he gives it a try...others say "you can't drop Beckham!"

Sorry but just cannot stand it any longer, although I DO realise it is not just you that is guilty of this appalling error.

The word you are looking for is HAVE, not OF. Probably caused by the lazy way of speaking down East Lancs way, but that is NOT an excuse.

RANT OVER!!! :rolleyes:

Spot on! Its quite stupid to include players like Jenas,Downing and Richardson instead of Beckham, those players will never challenge for a place for England. Bringing back Phil Neville really points they way for McClaren.

I'm glad that you agree with my arguement, and I agree with most of the names mentioned, but just for the record, I think that Downing is a very good player and I was wholeheartedly in support of him being in the world cup squad.

I think that it is important to have two options down each flank, each providing something different. Cole and Beckham together is not the way to go as neither runs at their man or tries to beat him and both play narrower than modern day wingers. By the same token, Lennon and Downing together is a no-go as well as far as I'm concerned, unless we are chasing a game, as it leaves us quite open in the centre.

When Downing came on in the world cup, immediately he got the ball, ran at his man, beat him and put in a peach of a cross. If he can do this on a regular basis then he should be a regular for the England squad.

Sorry but just cannot stand it any longer, although I DO realise it is not just you that is guilty of this appalling error.

The word you are looking for is HAVE, not OF. Probably caused by the lazy way of speaking down East Lancs way, but that is NOT an excuse.

RANT OVER!!! :rolleyes:

I will fill you in as simply as I may ...

The word I was looking for was was not 'have' but...OF..yes... OF OF OF OF OF

The word I missed out which was to follow 'of' was 'people'

"Loads of (word missed out) people (missed another word - have)been calling for Beckham to dropped...when he gives it a try...others say "you can't drop Beckham!"

It's because I was writing it quickly! What do you want me to do? Read it again and again? :P

If you would like some kind of competition as a battle over our respective linguistic skills then let me know. However, your pathetic attempt to try and belittle another poster without any actual evidence shows what kind of (yes 'of', not 'have') 'person' you are. Tell me Fife...I've over 4000 posts on here, when before have you looked at my posts with such evident disdain for the syntax, lexis or content?

EDIT - Jeez...you can't post on here jet-lagged and drunk without someone pulling you up on it!!!

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Fife was right to 'help' you FLB. How was he to know that you had missed a word out through being 'tired and emotional' as they say. He like Jim, Paul, Dave (and myself) etc was brought up with the 3 R's being paramount. When we took exams we didn't pass them by right so that failure didn't upset our fragile temperaments, did we ######! We had to study hard for a piggin pass never mind an A*.

Anyway the plain fact is that what little pace Beckham had in the past is quickly going now and anyway he will be 35 and past it next world cup.

Been a good (not great) player for us but time and tide wait for no man. The King is dead as they say.

Edited by thenodrog

Fife was right to 'help' you FLB. How was he to know that you had missed a word out through being 'tired and emotional' as they say. He like Jim, Paul, Dave (and myself) etc was brought up with the 3 R's being paramount. When we took exams we didn't pass them by right so that failure didn't upset our fragile temperaments, did we ######! We had to study hard for a piggin pass never mind an A*.

Usually I wouldn't mind but I am an English teacher. ;):lol: Actually...even worse, as a lecturer I dictate to other people on their misuse of the Queen's language! So I deem my seeming fit of pique to that...oh and having been out on the lash all afternoon. :)

Anyway it's my first day back for six months (with very little drinking having happened in the meantime) so I'm back off out to the pub...and if you don't like it you can stick it up your A*! :P

:tu:

Edited by FourLaneBlue

I wouldn't have dropped Beckham myself. I think it is a sad attempt to distance the new coaching staff from the old regime and it isn't really on merit. I think Beckham at least deserves his place in the squad, even if Gerrard or Lennon are going to take his place in the starting line-up.

Usually I wouldn't mind but I am an English teacher. ;):lol: Actually...even worse, as a lecturer I dictate to other people on their misuse of the Queen's language! So I deem my seeming fit of pique to that...oh and having been out on the lash all afternoon. :)

Anyway it's my first day back for six months (with very little drinking having happened in the meantime) so I'm back off out to the pub...and if you don't like it you can stick it up your A*! :P

:tu:

Sincere apologies FLB if I have offended your fragile sensibilities (just joking). The truth is that for far more than long enough I have suffered in silence (well, almost) as poster after poster has used the word "of" in place of "have" and it quite simply drives me mad. Sadly, you were just the unfortunate recipient of my pent-up feelings as I reached the end of my tether in that respect.

I too had a spell early in my career when I was asked to teach English to first year students at College, although I had an engineering degree. Not a very uplifting experience! And later in my career as a senior manager of degree qualified engineers (some of them Ph.D's) I was often appalled by the poor grammar and spelling used in their reports to me. So I hope you will understand and forgive me for picking the wrong target.

As it happens Fifester my sensibilities would have been very offended indeed if I'd ever had any. So count yourself lucky I was born an emotionless, shallow kind of chap...next time you might not be so lucky!

PS - The thing that really annoys me is when people forget that the words 'no' and 'one' are actually two different words and suddenly the BRFCS neologism 'noone' appears...

...AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHH!

Oh and Blue Phil...no need to stick a - in the middle of misuse! ;) You'll be saying people have spelt 'facism' wrong next!!!

:rover:

EDITED - Due to drunkeness last night :huh:

Edited by FourLaneBlue

I was dead against McClaren's appointment and Max Clifford probably wrote most of it but nevertheless..............

I thought it was a hell of a press conference.

Old Stevie Mac must have had some intensive media training since his Boro days because he left no-one in any doubt whatsoever who was the boss.

The word "passion" was used about nine times. McClaren was also by implication completely dismissive of the Sven regime (rightly so) saying something to the effect that he wanted to take the England team in a different direction..............winning games!

And he couldn't have made it any clearer it was the end of the road for players like Beckham, James and Campbell. Absolutely spot on. Exactly what was required.

We've also got rid of the "celebrity captain" and got a real leader in for the first time in a few seasons.

A reasonably imaginative squad selection.

Even El Tel who I'm not a huge fan of spoke very impressively.

Of course it might still be the same old crud when they actually get out onto the pitch but it all left me feeling more enthusiastic about England's chances than for many a moon

it shows he's got some nuts, unlike the Swedish bed-hopping nepotic turnip.

Beckham's had it, his legs have gone and he is only good for free-kicks now.

Nail, hammer, head Bryan old bean.

Still think Beckham has enough class to warrant a place in the first eleven, never mind team, but I agree that both Terry and Gerrard are more suitable captains - and I also think McClaren is doing the right thing in trying to start the change of generation - no more Sol Campbell, give room for younger players like Dawson, King. He wanted to bring back Scholes though.. <_<

The exclusion of Beckham is perhaps also a sign that McClaren wants to play more direct football? Beckham on his day can do that too, but he has changed since leaving for Spain in my opinion, he is more aquainted with the Spanish style now, and as said - he can't beat a man like the good old British winger type. (Lennon)

The exclusion of Beckham is perhaps also a sign that McClaren wants to play more direct football?

What? I hope not! imo England play far too much direct football and Beckham and Gerrard are the biggest culprits. We work like the opposite of whites to get the ball, give it to one of those two who then nearly always try to make a 50 yard killer pass and end up in effect giving it straight back to the opposition. International football is about keepball as much as anything else, every team that I can think of that has won the WC in the last 30 years is far better at that particular team skill than any England team that I can recall.

BTW I've just thought of another angle to this topic which imo has plenty of credence to it. Consider this ....... I think Maclaren has actually sacked Beckhams missus! and she has taken the huff and taken Becks with her! The theory fits too when you consider

1. his exit from OT after much publicised bad blood between Victoria and the RFW.

2. Maclarens time at OT when he would have been privvy and possibly occasional victim to her tantrums and influence over Becks. I wouldn't bet against Maclaren frickin hating her guts to be honest.

3. and the reports that he regularly stayed in different hotels than the team.

'Revenge is a dish best served cold' comes to mind.

Edited by thenodrog

Rev do you not think that they'd rehearsed that press conference with a tick list of stuff that the press had been bleating about that Sven wasnt?

Passion - check

Exciting attacking football - check

Get a passionate leader - Check (the wrong one but hey)

Show you're not Sven's number 2 by dropping Beckham - Check

Im still not convinced and the proof of the pudding is in the eating I suppose - but Im seriously underwhelmed so far

Oh Phil, you seem to be obsessed with my spelling (or lack of) Id suggest you need to get out and get a life at some point, possibly a real girlfriend too, not an inflatable one, instead of obsessing over something so pathetic as whether I can spell or not (the answer being not most of the time).

i would be really woried if it wernt for terry venebles, mclaren doesnt no what he is doing dropping beckham, he should still be in the team for euro 2008. he scored in the world cup a\nd set a few up of set pieces, for me he fully deserves a place in the starting eleven he is a true football legend. i cant belive phillip neville and luke young have got into the team.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.