BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] More Madness From Mcclaren

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lampard seems to be taking a lot stick for last night when, in fact, he was no worse than most. It'll be interesting to see what McClaren does when the majority of players are fit, the only hope of an excuse he has is that he was forced into that team last night by absentees. I don't think he had it too far wrong in his first game in charge, if everyone was fit then I'd go for...

Robinson

Neville Ferdinand Terry A. Cole

Gerrard Hargreaves Lampard J. Cole

Rooney Johnson

Having Crouch up top just encourages needless long balls from the back. Johnson's pace and ability to lead the line would let Rooney drop deep, as well as giving Gerrard and Lampard the option of playing balls in behind instead of into feet. Lennon and Crouch would be good impact players to bring from the bench should we need something different, but niether play with enough consistency to justify a starting place.

I didn't see the game and it sounds like I did the right thing. I saw Rio Ferdinand's interview later on and he did the usual "we'll get it right" routine. I hope so as it doesn't look good.

Why play SWP? He can't get a game for Chelsea, how can he be sharp for international football? I've talked myself hoarse the number of times I've called for Lampard to be dropped. He doesn't have that bit extra to be good at international level. He's ace at Chelsea when he gets half a pitch to tee up his passes and shots, not for England though.

England never do anything because we overhype the team, put too much pressure on whoever the manager is, rely on one or two players to carry the rest, and most worryingly we continue to develop technically substandard players.

Hmmm...Hoddle, Keegan, Sven, Maclaren...

Is it that they are all cack?

What I would say all of them lack the confidence to create a gameplan and stick to it. The good managers in the Premiership- Wenger, Mourinho, Ferguson, Allerdyce, our own Hughes all come into the clubs with a defined way they want to play with the resources they have and make the players fit that model. They stick with it. Sure club managers have the advantag eof being able to buy players in but you have to say that the England team does have a large selection of quality at it's disposal. Gerrard, Lampard, Hargreaves, Rooney, Ferdinand, Terry, Neville, A Cole, J Cole are all world class individuals. The likes of Robinson, Downing and Crouch while not brillaint are hardly poor players. And then, especially in the centre and wide right, we have a plethora of playes who can come in and work for England.

Hoddle out of that four you have mentioned (and like Venables before him) was the one manager who looked like he was confident he knew the best way for the team to play (and with generally poorer players than we have now) and we reaped the benefit.

McClaren needs to come up with a solution and an ethic and apply it come hell or high water and be willing to take it on the chin if it doesn't work out. His own nervousness and chopping and changing is undermining the confidence of the team.

The one thing that unites the other candidates like Allerdyce, Hiddink, O'neill who I feel woul have been much better choices for the job is that they have that bit of arrogance to impose their own style.

McClaren needs to develop it because unless things radically change he is going to have the reputation as one of the worst England managers ever.

Lampard seems to be taking a lot stick for last night when, in fact, he was no worse than most. It'll be interesting to see what McClaren does when the majority of players are fit, the only hope of an excuse he has is that he was forced into that team last night by absentees. I don't think he had it too far wrong in his first game in charge, if everyone was fit then I'd go for...

I don't have any problem with Lampard as such, he is a decent player. But he cannot play on the left and we need a holding player in the centre. And as Gerrard is a better player the only place for Franky to go is on the bench.

I like the idea of Johnson up front, but I just feel Gerrard is wasted out right- especially when we have quality young wide players available like Lennon, Dyer and SWP who will use the touchline. Gerrard there makes us very narrow.

I don't know that having a full squad would have made much of a difference to the performance last night. England had a full squad at the World Cup and granted their best player wasn't even half way fit, but they were still awful. You have to look to the management of the team.

:rover: giving the job to a yes man like mcclaren,english football at international level will be as bad as it has been since the last century,we need a good manager,not some drip who was in a inch off getting sacked by boro,i'm just glad i've retired from the international scene,i even watched the bill instead off the match. :brfc:

Surley Maclaren should get a lot of stick, I mean you have just lost 1-0 to Spain, how poor can you get?! When will the general English public understand that the England team just aint as good as you think?

There is one reason why England never seem to win anything, one reason, YOU AINT GOOD ENOUGH! Getting a new manager in won't help one bit..

Edited by krislu

Surley Maclaren should get a lot of stick, I mean you have just lost 1-0 to Spain, how poor can you get?! When will the general English public understand that the England team just aint as good as you think?

There is one reason why England never seem to win anything, one reason, YOU AINT GOOD ENOUGH! Getting a new manager in won't help one bit..

that is utter rubbish.

with the players England can select, i think England could be one of the best nations around, it's just about getting the right man and getting the players to play in a system that works for them

Edited by gazsimm

I might be in the minority, but I feel a bit sorry for mcClaren. he's out of his depth and he knows it. he was never going to turn down the opportunity to manage England.

the blame lies with the players, (bunch of big-time charlie's. don't have the hunger/ desire to play for England. it's been going on for years!), the FA, and in particular brian barwick. his TV and radio interviews prove the guy knows absolutely nothing about football - the 'knowledge' he has is minimal and comes solely from producing MOTD- and I'd question whether he was / is really a football fan.

mcClaren isn't blameless. his team selections/ tactics are baffling, but more worryingly, - he seems to give venables too much of say input. 'el tel's' formations and coaching method's are decades out of date, but we're using them!

*yes... yes, we got the semis of euro 96, but looking at it - the holland game aside we were pretty poor and lucky!*

in short, barwick hired mcClaren and approved terry venereal's appointment, he should take the blame.

if only we lived in an ideal world - where barwick would replace mcc and his staff, and then resign without a pay-off. (dreaming).

Its far too easy for the current 'club' of england players at the minute, they are bigger than the manager so have no-one to impress and no threat to their position eg Lampard, Rio, Gerrard, even Crouch. They get in the team no matter how well a) they are playing &B) other english players are playing.

If he brought in some players like Barton, Nolan, Bentley(Rovers bias showing there), then at least Lampard and his chums would have to prove they are worth the starting place.

At the moment people like J Jenas, K.Dyer, Carrick,Downing,SWP don't put any pressure on the team as non of them are in form themselves.

If he could get scholes out of retirement that would help too!

Edited by OJRovers

with the players England can select, i think England could be one of the best nations around, it's just about getting the right man and getting the players to play in a system that works for them

History suggests you are completely wrong on that one.

what's that got to do with history, if we had the right manager and the correct system in place i think we might of won a major trophy by now.

We have some world class players, it's just about getting the players in a suitable system, which will help bring the best out of them

Rankings suggest we are the 6th best team in the world, at the moment.

1 Brazil

2 Italy

3 Argentina

4 France

5 Germany

6 England

7 The Netherlands

8 Nigeria

9 Portugal

10 Czech Republic

11 Cameroon

12 Spain

13 Ukraine

14 Sweden

15 Croatia

16 Greece

17 Switzerland

18 Côte d'Ivoire

19 Egypt

20 Romania

21 Mexico

22 Guinea

23 Denmark

24 Russia

25 Poland

26 Scotland

27 Turkey

28 Ghana

29 Ecuador

30 Uruguay

31 USA

32 Tunisia

33 Serbia

34 Colombia

35 Paraguay

36 Mali

37 Slovakia

37 Iran

39 Australia

40 Chile

41 Senegal

42 Morocco

42 Bulgaria

44 Israel

45 Uzbekistan

46 Japan

47 Northern Ireland

48 Cuba

49 Republic of Ireland

50 Norway

51 Korea Republic

52 Finland

53 Belgium

54 FYR Macedonia

55 Angola

56 Honduras

57 Jamaica

58 Bosnia-Herzegovina

59 Qatar

60 Congo DR

61 Hungary

62 Burkina Faso

63 Zambia

64 Saudi Arabia

65 Austria

66 Togo

66 Costa Rica

68 Lithuania

69 South Africa

70 Belarus

70 Peru

72 Zimbabwe

73 Venezuela

74 Wales

74 Cyprus

76 Kuwait

77 Slovenia

78 Cape Verde Islands

78 Algeria

80 Panama

81 Canada

82 Iraq

83 China PR

84 Oman

85 Moldova

86 Albania

87 Trinidad and Tobago

88 United Arab Emirates

89 Congo

90 Latvia

91 Ethiopia

92 Haiti

93 Iceland

94 Jordan

95 Georgia

96 Gabon

97 Bahrain

98 Libya

99 Barbados

100 Guyana

101 Bolivia

102 Uganda

103 Malawi

104 St. Vincent and the Grenadines

105 Guatemala

106 Estonia

107 Botswana

108 Equatorial Guinea

109 Tanzania

110 Lebanon

111 Syria

112 Liberia

113 Sudan

114 Surinam

115 Benin

115 Namibia

117 Hong Kong

117 Malta

119 Rwanda

120 Burundi

121 Bermuda

122 Mauritania

123 Armenia

124 Thailand

125 Tajikistan

126 Singapore

127 Azerbaijan

128 Kenya

129 Mozambique

130 Seychelles

131 Palestine

131 New Zealand

133 Korea DPR

134 Vietnam

135 Gambia

136 Dominican Republic

137 Antigua & Barbuda

138 Kyrgyzstan

139 Eritrea

140 Yemen

141 Chad

142 Kazakhstan

143 St Kitts & Nevis

144 Mauritius

145 Sri Lanka

145 Myanmar

147 Bahamas

148 Niger

149 Indonesia

150 Laos

151 Bangladesh

151 Swaziland

151 Sierra Leone

154 Fiji

155 Turkmenistan

156 El Salvador

157 Malaysia

157 India

159 Liechtenstein

160 Maldives

160 St Lucia

160 Solomon Islands

163 Grenada

164 Lesotho

165 Andorra

166 Chinese Taipei

167 Vanuatu

168 Nicaragua

169 Turks and Caicos Islands

170 Nepal

171 Pakistan

172 Netherlands Antilles

173 Tahiti

174 Brunei Darussalam

175 New Caledonia

176 Cambodia

177 Papua New Guinea

178 Philippines

178 Afghanistan

180 Central African Republic

181 Mongolia

181 Faroe Islands

181 Dominica

184 Madagascar

185 Macau

186 Luxembourg

187 Comoros

188 Samoa

189 Tonga

190 Cayman Islands

191 Bhutan

192 British Virgin Islands

192 Guinea-Bissau

194 Somalia

195 San Marino

196 Puerto Rico

197 Anguilla

198 Cook Islands

199 Timor-Leste

199 Belize

199 Djibouti

199 São Tomé e Príncipe

199 Aruba

199 US Virgin Islands

199 Monserrat

199 Guam

199 American Samoa

There is alot of sense being talked about this subject on this thread, and some of it is very easy to understand.

Which makes it all the more strange that the FA and the management of england can't get it right. Some massive errors are being made like the Walcott thing in 06. Johnson playing on the right on his debut (Svens work), players out of form being given another chance when more hungry players are screaming for a go in the England squad. The selection of McCalren as a manager with only experience at Boro (as a first team manager). Then there is all the rubbish that goes along with the FA.

Seems the whole set up lacks real direction and drive.

Someone mention Scholes coming back, that would be a great move. But would he wan to get involed?

England has some players who THINK they are world class. Step forward Mssrs Lampard, Ferdinand and Cashley Cole.

i wish Rovers had these players on their book

A lot of nations would love to call on these players, it's just a shame we can't get the best out of them playing for England

what's that got to do with history, if we had the right manager and the correct system in place i think we might of won a major trophy by now.

We have some world class players, it's just about getting the players in a suitable system, which will help bring the best out of them

Because the same excuse has been used so many times now, it can't be true. England has long had a reasonable selection of players and many different managers have tried to turn them into winners, always without success. And I don't count Euro 96 as a high point, since England got to play every game at Wembley and still couldn't make the final. That's a big fat failure in any other nation's book.

England brings in a charismatic ex-player for the Klinsmann / Rijkaard effect -- they get the Keegan effect instead.

They bring in an expert manager with a huge list of honours, hoping for a Hiddink -- they wind up with Eriksson.

Fact is, most supporters in England, or at least the ones working in the media, propagate the idea that England has every attribute required to win major football tournaments. The reality is that they have only done so once, with the key role being played by home advantage, and have never really threatened to repeat the feat.

Because the same excuse has been used so many times now, it can't be true. England has long had a reasonable selection of players and many different managers have tried to turn them into winners, always without success. And I don't count Euro 96 as a high point, since England got to play every game at Wembley and still couldn't make the final. That's a big fat failure in any other nation's book.

England brings in a charismatic ex-player for the Klinsmann / Rijkaard effect -- they get the Keegan effect instead.

They bring in an expert manager with a huge list of honours, hoping for a Hiddink -- they wind up with Eriksson.

Fact is, most supporters in England, or at least the ones working in the media, propagate the idea that England has every attribute required to win major football tournaments. The reality is that they have only done so once, with the key role being played by home advantage, and have never really threatened to repeat the feat.

If England had a top class manager who could get the best out of the players, you would see how good of squad England really have.

After saying that if we could take bloody penalties god knows what we could have won

Hmmm...Hoddle, Keegan, Sven, Maclaren...

Is it that they are all cack?

Has every manager England have had since Sir Alf been cack then? It seems that England managers are deemed failures if they don't win the major tournament that England are quite clearly entitled to. No one has managed it since '66 - and thats because every single one has been @#/??

Methinks not.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.