BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Matt Derbyshire

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone think Sparky is helping out Wrexham in order to possible strike a deal to get Mark Jones at the end of the season, the midfielder has already got 13 goals this season.

384500[/snapback]

he's also in the wales squad to play paraguay.

john tochack was speaking about him lastnight and rates him as a quality future player.

showed some of the goals he's scored for wrexham, some crackers from outside the box.

He started one game for plymouth and the rest of the time it the last 10 minutes or time wasting substitute performances. Know what your talking about before talking crap next time!.

384366[/snapback]

knobcheese ask yourself why he only started one game then !!

Saw his goals on Soccernight last night - The second was quality. Driving at the opposition with pace and close control before hitting it into the upper corner of the net with the outside of his right boot. Hope he keeps it up... smile.gif

knobcheese ask yourself why he only started one game then !!

384892[/snapback]

Because the new manager didn't take a fancy to him? Football's about a lot more than just talent, internal politics has a lot to do with it too. Derbyshire was a new bloke the old manager had brought in and the new gaffer either didn't like his style of play, or wanted to make a statement.

He scored a hattrick on his debut for Plymouth reserves, and a brace on his debut for Wrexham - there's little more the lad can do to make a good first impression.

For the record I am not having a go at derbyshire I hope he pulls through and becomes a quality player. Nothing better than a local lad coming through the ranks. Lets not try to build the lad up to be the next superstar coming thru the academy cos he obviously isn't. If he was that good he would be in the squad now !! He was playing for Great Harwood Town FFS and scoring 3 for plymouth reserves and a brace against R+D doesn't mean that he will do this in the premiership does it. Fair play to the lad the 2nd goal was quality as I said before.

He started one game for plymouth and the rest of the time it the last 10 minutes or time wasting substitute performances. Know what your talking about before talking crap next time!.

384366[/snapback]

Also if you are accusing me for talking crap YOU get your facts right see below

Matt Derbyshire (Wrexham) appearances 2005/20062004/2005

Date Competition Home Res Away Gls Crd

14/02/2006 League Two Wrexham 2-0 Rushden & D. 2

02/01/2006 Championship Plymouth Arg. * 0-3 Leeds Utd. 0

31/12/2005 Championship Wolves 1-1 Plymouth Arg. * 0

10/12/2005 Championship Watford 1-1 Plymouth Arg. * 0

03/12/2005 Championship Coventry City 3-1 Plymouth Arg. * 0

26/11/2005 Championship Plymouth Arg. * 0-2 Reading 0

19/11/2005 Championship Plymouth Arg. * 3-1 Q.P.R. 0

30/10/2005 Championship Plymouth Arg. * 0-0 Millwall 0

22/10/2005 Championship Luton Town 1-1 Plymouth Arg. * 0

24/09/2005 Championship Southampton 0-0 Plymouth Arg. * 0

20/09/2005 League Cup Barnet 2-1 Plymouth Arg. 0

17/09/2005 Championship Plymouth Arg. 1-0 Burnley 0

13/09/2005 Championship Plymouth Arg. 1-1 Crewe Alex. 0

10/09/2005 Championship Norwich City 2-0 Plymouth Arg. * 0

Appearances 4 (* + 10 as sub); Goals 2; Yellow cards 0; Red cards 0

He started 3 games for Plymouth not 1 !

At Plymouth, Tony Pulis was probably the worst possible appointment for young Matt.

Pulis is reknowned for his use of long ball football to big target men. He's got a decent record in the lower leagues but his teams are always horrid to watch.

Derbyshire came on as sub during Parkes testimonial and scored a goal that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Only a really natural goalscorer would have even "seen" the opportunity he successfully converted.  thumbs-up.gif

385348[/snapback]

Didn't see the goal so I can't really comment about that, but I do think some people are getting a little carried away here. Let's remember that Derbyshire is playing in a Mickey Mouse league at the moment compared to the supreme quality that is needed in the Premier League. Having said that, I haven't seen him play all that much and I suppose it's refreshing to hear people talk so enthusiastically about one of our prospects.

We all know Kuqi is absolutely dogger when it comes to football. Why isn't Hughesy trying out some of our youngsters - perhaps on the bench as a replacement for Pongolle and Bellamy. We all know what an effect a fresh batch of youngsters can have on a team, and not only that if we gain a reputation for giving youngsters a fair chance, we will have a much better chance of snapping up the brightest talent around.

Sergio Peter has been given his chance and I think we can all agree he looks VERY promising, and in a way has effectively an untimely transfer of Morten Gamst Pedersen in the summer. Not that I wish to get rid of The Ped, it's just exciting to know that we have players in the backgound just waiting to step into the boots of our supposed 'big name' players. Why can't we have one for the strikers?

Sergio Peter has been given his chance and I think we can all agree he looks VERY promising, and in a way has effectively an untimely transfer of Morten Gamst Pedersen in the summer. Not that I wish to get rid of The Ped, it's just exciting to know that we have players in the backgound just waiting to step into the boots of our supposed 'big name' players. Why can't we have one for the strikers?

385392[/snapback]

Out of the two, Ped & Bert, I can see maybe Bert going rather than Ped.

But good to see our loanees doing well though.

You seem to have misunderstood me. I wasn't suggesting that we get rid of Pedersen, but we may receive an offer that is just too good to refuse.

385412[/snapback]

True, hoping that that isn't the case come the summer though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Slight difference between League 2/Division 3 and the Prem, but obviously his scoring goals for fun is promising. According to the Wrexham fans he's lightning quick, finishes well and works hard - a class above the rest of the players at the club.

I've not seen enough of him to judge whether he's found his level, or if he can continue to score goals higher up the leagues - hopefully he can because we need a quick striker, and more importantly an Academy player to break through into the first team (Peter is coming through, but he's not quite there yet). I'll leave that up to the coaching staff/fans who turn out for reserve games to comment on biggrin.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.