499.99 version:

- No built-in Wi-fi

- No HDMI port

- No Memory Stick slot

- No SD card slot

- No Compact Flash slot

- 20GB hard drive

599.99 version:

- Includes everything including HDMI port, built-in Wi-Fi, 60GB hard drive, etc.

The basic version has a lot of key components missing so it looks like the 600 Euro model is the one that people will have to go for, and that is a hell of a lot of money to pay, you have to remember that you will have to buy at least one game and probably another controller on top of that which will push the price upto nearer 700 Euros, which is well over £500.

I didn't see the differences.

You are probably right, most people will go for the more expensive version however the only item I am shocked that they have missed off the cheapy is the HDMI port. Without that, the blue-ray for films is essentially useless which I thought would be one of the biggest selling points of the PS3 over the 360.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

what is the 1080i?? can you please explain what you mean tbg

1080i is a HDTV resolution.

PAL DVD's currently use 576p. This means you have 576 lines in the vertical resolution. "p" means progressive where all 576 lines are displayed at the same time every frame is refreshed.

for High Definition you have 720p, 1080i and 1080p.

720p has an extra 144 lines over the old PAL format and again the p shows that all lines in the frame are shown at the same time (which is meant to give the best picture quality)

1080i means you now have 504 lines more than PAL TV's so nearly double and 360 more lines than 720. The "i" means interlaced. This means that instead of showing all the lines in one go, it shows the odd lines in the first frame and then the even lines in the second frame. This means you have a higher quality picture however some people can notice motion blur during fast moving sequences.

The mecca of all things High Def is 1080p however there are very few screens that support this as yet and the processing power needed to output 1080p is prohibitive.

Edited by Biddy

Personally I like the look of the Nintendo Wii, I was skeptical at first but not it looks like a nice piece of kit! Watched some of the E3 2006 video and it looks pretty cool, also the media loves it. I think i'd probably get a 360 for games like pro evo though, as the PS3 looks like its going to be stupidly expensive for what it is.

As soon as the PS3 is launched, watch the Xbox360 prices drop. 2-0 to Microsoft.

I will, of course, buy a PS3 if Evo 6 comes out first tho :)

with the ps3 being so expensive, it gives microsoft even less incentive to drop the 360 price.

well i just bought a dreamcast for £19.50 including postage & 5 games. (Please don't use that word again) the ps3

Don't blame you. I've been buying Super Nintendo products as of late.

I'll probably wait a long while before getting the PS3.

Yet more clips:-

Click

Click

Click

I liked the first clip, very informative. It's still scary when they say the price, even though it's in USD. Also, when he takes out the new controller and announces "This is the final version", you can just about hear everyone in the croud saying "but it's identical to the PS2 controller!".

The Getaway clip looked very impressive in Piccadilly Circus. Shame it was just a rolling demo of the set scene.

The final clip with the F1 just looks comical. The cars look like toy cars flinging around a track. I think they need to do a bit of work on that one.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Well, at least there won't be any stock shortages like the 360! :D

Idiots, thats a way to ensure no shortage, delays!

The Xbox 360 will do better anyway. Bring on PES6

I think sony have dropped the ball here. This means that the 360 will have had 2 xmas periods before the ps3 comes out and with the 360's games catalogue being a lot larger its not looking good. Throw in the £425 price tag and a spring release and I think they will struggle against the 360 (in europe anyway).

I bought a 360 as a stop gap before the ps3. Now i'm considering not even buying a ps3 on launch but waiting for the inevitable price drop late next year when Sony realise what a hash they have made of the European launch!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.