BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ps3

It looks ok to me. I have to say I'd be reluctant to buy it. I bought Spiderman on the xbox and though it was fun at first zipping around the city and throwing yourself off of a building every now and then it got boring very quickly and gave me no reason to ever pick it up again. I would imagine that this may well be the same, I'll stick to things like GTA I think.

It's Spider-Man Eddie ;)

Did you mean the Ultimate Spider-Man game btw? I loved that one, but then again, I geeked out seeing the creative team behind it. It had its faults, like all the bloody stupid races or chases but the story was decent enough. Can't wait for next gen Spidey though! I like the open ended superhero games even though they could do with a little work, specially when it comes to sidemissions. I'm interested to see what they've done with this Superman game.

But before that, Marvel Ultimate Alliance...can not wait!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry about the grammatical error.

Not sure which one it was now, doesn't sound like what you just described though, I thought it was just Spider-Man. You just shot your little webs all over the place and swung through the city, fighting bad guys whenever your spidey sense kicked in and you could get there fast enough.

Ive just found out that the ps3 has been over heating alot at the convention and it just kept crashing so it had to be restarted loads off times.

Never no could be yet another set back for sony as there shares in the business fall aswell with recent call backs off batteries

And another delay on the console

Ive just found out that the ps3 has been over heating alot at the convention and it just kept crashing so it had to be restarted loads off times.

Sounds like internet scaremongering to me. I saw one machine at TGS that crashed once and was promptly reset by a Namco rep. You can expect a few teething troubles with new hardware - my 360 has locked up a fair few times, Gamecube crashes frequently - but most users just put up with it. I don't know how anyone can say with confidence that the machine is unreliable when absolutely nobody has had the chance to take one home and test it over the course of several months.

i was just saying to warn if anything is announced and plus it was so called to have water cooling in it which should be fine and not cause any heat problems but might off took that idea out to save time so they can get loads off machines ready for the convention.

My xbox 360 has never crashed and no other consoles i have havent crashed ever. i must just get a good batch :)

i was just saying to warn if anything is announced and plus it was so called to have water cooling in it which should be fine and not cause any heat problems but might off took that idea out to save time so they can get loads off machines ready for the convention.

My xbox 360 has never crashed and no other consoles i have havent crashed ever. i must just get a good batch :)

It's only in the videogames world that you'll get stories like 'Toy You Probably Want To Buy In A Few Months Time Might Go Wrong One Day!!!'

My 360 has given disc errors in Hitman and Dead Rising, and frozen up in GRAW. I don't know if better cooling would make much of a difference - Dreamcast had liquid cooling and I remember seeing one of those belching clouds of black smoke out of the side. Still, that might have been because some fool plugged a Japanese machine into the UK mains. Absolutely stank, it did.

• 3 weeks later...

MORE & MORE problems with ps3.

Aint saying anything bad about it just warning you to get it pre ordered asap if not sorted for the europe release.

Sony still being plagued by component shortages

According to the Nikkei Keizai Shimbun, Sony is still having problems with component shortages on its PlayStation 3 console. So instead of having 100,000 units on hand for the Japanese launch of the PS3 on November 11, Sony will instead provide 80,000 units.

There was no mention of what specific components were causing the launch numbers to be cut back, but Sony has previously had trouble manufacturing the blue laser diodes used in the Blu-ray drive. IGN reports:

The lack of digits in that number is even more staggering when you consider that the PS2 sold out of nearly a million units when it launched back in March of 2000. Having lived through a few weeks of attempting to obtain a PS3 pre-order, we're not too surprised by the lowered shipping numbers. Allocations disappeared quickly at online retailers that were brave enough to start pre-order programs.

Sony announced back in early September that it would be delaying the European launch of the PS3 until March 2007 due to component shortages. At the time, it was projected that the United States would get 400,000 and 100,000 units respectively.

Despite this recent development, there was no news as to whether US launch numbers would also take a dive.

Edited by thebigguy

Firstly sorry to post again but didnt want to edit main post and make it even longer

I think this is a bad call by the game developers. People with the lower hard drive for there console will feel this the worse as it will limit them because cannot upgrade the hard drive as its internal unlike the xbox 360

In an effort to get around long load times with Blu-ray discs on the PlayStation 3, some publishers are looking to install game content to the internal hard drive to speed things up. Two games that take advantage of the hard drive install include Ridge Racer 7 and Genji: Days of the Blade.

In the case of Ridge Racer 7, gamers have the option of using up 5GB of storage for game files. With Genji, as much as 4GB can be taken up by game files to quicken load times. According to Sony representatives, a three minute one time only procedure will load the 4GB of game data to your PS3's hard drive. As a result, in-game load times will be cut from 15 seconds down to 4 seconds.

Console gamers have long lobbied that their PlayStations and Xboxes didn't have to worry about such silly things as multi-gigabyte installations or patches to enjoy their games. And now as we progress further with console development, we're seeing consoles take on some of the same characteristics as their PC counterparts. And just today, we saw the release of a patch for Saints Row that fixes a number of issues that should have been caught before the game went gold -- and this is two months after the initial release.

And this leads us all down the road that Sony executives have been hinting at for the past few months -- an always connected, disc-less console with massive amounts of internal storage. Sony's Phil Harrison first talked of a "disc-less" future when he commented that the PlayStation 4 was unlikely to have an optical disc drive. Sony's Jamie McDonald followed up in early October by saying that the majority of gaming content would be provided digitally in the next five years.

So as we all sit around and battle over DVD-9 vs Blu-ray for the current generation of gaming consoles, it looks as though it may become a non-issue in the not too distant future if Sony has its way.

I don't think it's a bad thing.

The article says the install is an option so you don't have to waste space if you don't want. And if the disk space is there, why not use it to speed up loading times? This is one of the biggest things people complain about after all.

Seems sensible to me as well. If I could save a bit of loading time by sacrificing a few gigs of otherwise redundant HD space, I'd gladly do it. Besides, if you ever find you're running out of room, you could delete the installation data of older games you don't play so much, in which case the only thing you'd notice is that they're slower loading once again.

I think the 360 does something similar but it's all automatic. Games cache data in the 6GB sector of the HD that can't be accessed by the user.

Guest Kamy100

This looked good at E3, and it becoming a BIG reason for buying a PS3:

MotorStorm Final Hands-On

IGN gets its hands dirty with the finished Japanese version of PS3's hottest racer.

UK, November 3, 2006 - Wow. We've just played through the final Japanese version of MotorStorm and we're still shaking from the experience. It's not hangover jitters either, rather the effect of adrenaline coursing through our veins after playing PS3's off-road epic on an eight-foot screen via a high-def projector. To say it looks awesome is an understatement: the earlier builds we've played looked impressive but now it's faster, more detailed and closer to the original E3 tech demo than we ever expected. In short it's the most impressive racing game we've seen in a long time and is a definite must-have come the launch of PlayStation 3.

But before we get carried away with the fabulously filthy fun that can be had in MotorStorm, let's start at the beginning. After a gloriously over-the-top intro sequence that talks of warriors doing battle in the desert (what!?) you're presented with a single game mode - Festival - that takes racers onto the off-road circuit in search of fame and glory. The racing game equivalent of a campaign mode, Festival is filled to bursting with 21 events - called tickets - although only three are accessible at the beginning. There are four races in each category, unlocked one-by-one by finishing in first, second or third.

Races are split into vehicle types rather than individual tracks so the same circuit can frequently appear in a single group of events. For example, there are three tracks in the In At The Deep End event - one set on the Raingod Mesa circuit, one on the Rock Hopper track and two on Coyote Rage - even though there are four races. However, only certain vehicles are eligible to compete in each race, with bikes, buggies, racing trucks and rally cars all grouped together rather than a free-for-all involving MotorStorm's entire garage of cars in one go.

That's not to say players are limited to a single vehicle. There are at least two to choose from for every race, albeit of the same type, and each available in multiple colours and designs. Although car-hungry gamers may feel cheated because they can't access every car right from the start, we like the way the cars are introduced gradually, given as a reward for winning races and earning points. What's more, each vehicle type handles very differently from the next, with heavy rigs gripping the track, ATVs bouncing around uncontrollably and rally cars sitting somewhere in the middle, so the staggered car roster helps players to gradually familiarise themselves subtle differences in handling.

The half-dozen tracks we played on are just as diverse as the vehicles too, not just in their design but also the different types of surfaces you race on. The Raingod Mesa track, which we covered in the last MotorStorm hands-on a couple of weeks ago, is located on top of a mountain and the hard stone surface provides fantastic grip, although boulders and sheer drops are lethally treacherous if you miss-time a jump or overdo it on the turbo.

A number of noticeable improvements have been made to the tracks since the last version of the game we saw, including an increased number of spectators (albeit static) cheering from the side, destructible scenery that stays destroyed throughout the entire race (opening up shortcuts in some cases) and huge video screens that display the race in real-time. Races take place at different times of the day too, with cars shining brightly under the dazzling midday sun or basked in red as the sun sets during early evening competitions.

Another track we've already road-tested, the Coyote Rage circuit, has also been given an overhaul. The loose dirt and mud affects the handling of cars much more than before, plus tyres ruts are much more evident, so much so the bloody great ditches carved out by big rigs can flip an ATV if it hits it at the wrong angle. Recovering from crashes in the mud is tougher too, with the wheels spinning and struggling for grip in the sloppy dirt.

The third track we tested, Dust Devil, is a much more open course with multiple routes snaking through rocks and other obstacles. Naturally some routes are safer than others, with wide sections of the track providing a danger-free - although lengthy - path through the desert. Shortcuts are much more hazardous, forcing drivers to squeeze through obstacles, which isn't easy when your buggy's pelting along at full whack.

The type of vehicle you're driving can affect the routes you take around the circuits, with heavy trucks capable of smashing through wrecked cars and advertising hoardings, while bikes must sneak through the gaps in between. Nowhere is this more evident than on the Rock Hopper track, which has multiple routes all the way around the circuit. Heavier vehicles are best off sticking to the low, undulating paths that stretch along the valleys, while buggies and bikes can take to air by leaping off jumps and speeding around banked curves that make up the upper section of the course. It's tremendous fun whatever you're driving, plus the speed has really been cranked up compared to previous versions of the game so gliding through the sky on a dirt bike really is an exhilarating blast you'll never forget.

The experience is further heightened by mud and dust that's kicked up off the ground, caking your windscreen in dirt. Get stuck behind a pack of buggies and it's almost impossible to see where you're going, especially if you switch to first-person. What's more, if you really want to admire MotorStorm's smorgasbord of next-gen effects, you can hit 'Start' at any time to freeze the action and zoom in, out and around your vehicle - Matrix-style. The balls-out racing action is perfectly complemented by the game's rib-shaking soundtrack too, with live tracks by Primal Scream, Slipknot, Nirvana and Kings of Leon thumping over the growl of revving engines.

Having spent a few hours caning cars, battering bikes and totalling trucks around some of most extreme courses we've seen in a racing game, we can happily report that MotorStorm really is shaping up to be the eye-meltingly fast racing epic it promised to be when it first debuted. It's fast, it looks incredible and, with almost a hundred race events to get stuck into, there's more than enough to keep speed freaks coming back for more. In fact the only feature missing was an online multiplayer mode, which apparently won't make it into the final Japanese game. However, it will make it into the US and European versions, along with downloadable content, so some things really are worth waiting for.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/743/743898p1.html

Have to say, with the price they've put on it, Sony will have to secure something that will totally blow me out of the park for me to even consider getting a PS3. Assassins Creed is the one game I'm really excited about, and that is also headed for the 360 (thank God) so...

• 1 month later...

Heard they are still having probs with the blue ray so it will work with pal file format :)

Aparently, all the problems have been sorted out. Plus the tails of it overheating are meant to be rubbish too. It does get hot but only as hot as a lap top battery and will only get really hot if you leave it on for about 2 days.

Anyway, sod the PS3, if this advert is anything to go by I am getting a Nintendo - PLAY WITH POWER click

Guest Kamy100

At the moment the price is £425. However I have heard rumours that Sony are going to reduce the price to £399 so as to appease angry European Gamers, although I have also heard that they still are having production difficulties and that the PS3 could be further delayed to September.

At the moment the price is £425. However I have heard rumours that Sony are going to reduce the price to £399 so as to appease angry European Gamers, although I have also heard that they still are having production difficulties and that the PS3 could be further delayed to September.

Don't know where you got £425 from but play.com have a pre-order with 3 games for £549.99 so I'd say £499 for the base console is more like it

Link to play.com

Don't know where you got £425 from but play.com have a pre-order with 3 games for £549.99 so I'd say £499 for the base console is more like it

Link to play.com

Thats insane, i would understand the price if the games were cheaper. But the games are gonna cost about £50 each...! So its basically gonna cost £550 for a PS3 and 1 game!?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.