BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Alan Shearer's Testimonial

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's exactly it gazsimm. Not sure how many they'd get to take but I'd imagine they will easily sell their allocation. Does anyone reckon we'd take more than 2,000?

So he picked Celtic for money reasons? Damn him and his charitable ways. "I chose Celtic as they'd sell more tickets and we'd raise more for charity via a bigger gate." Evil man. Tis the work of Saunders I tell thee.

That's exactly it gazsimm. Not sure how many they'd get to take but I'd imagine they will easily sell their allocation. Does anyone reckon we'd take more than 2,000?

So he picked Celtic for money reasons? Damn him and his charitable ways. "I chose Celtic as they'd sell more tickets and we'd raise more for charity via a bigger gate." Evil man. Tis the work of Saunders I tell thee.

384832[/snapback]

A Shearer testimonial in his final season? Yeah, 2,000 would be beyond us rolleyes.gif

Thought they might`ve played the 1996 England team or a premiership XI.....or even a world XI  huh.gif

385349[/snapback]

I think a premiership 11 would certainly have turned out for Shearer. If any player in the league deserves that it is him.

But if they are looking for crowds they have got the right team in Celtic. I don't think any other team would bring as many fans. Their lot are manic and see opportunities to play Premiership as something worth seeing on a footballing level, even if it technically an uncompetitive game.

For an English club people would only really want to go out of respect for shearer or reasons similar to those for attending a pre season game.

Newcastles all time record goal scorer.

Premier league record goal scorer.

England golden boot (euro 96)

...I`m sure Newcastle could fill their ground several times over to pay homage to their greatest ever player....& one of Englands.

Cannot see why they should let in several thousand Celts & leave several thousand Geordies locked outside. Strange decision in my view. huh.gif

• 1 month later...
Notice how the BBC now are implying that shearers career only took place at Newcastle over the last 10 years.  Yet again they expressed incredulity that Newcastles best ever forward is retiring empty handed! tongue.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

392765[/snapback]

Must be a Beeb thing, Debs came home from work last night ranting about 5 live going on about him never winning anything in his career.

Poor Al.

rover.gif i can't believe anyone thought shearer would want us for his testmonial game,why would the best centre forward off his time want to be reminded off what could have been,let the bar codes send him off in good style.whilst we polish our trophies and get ready for our european excursion.i would not travel to ewood to watch a shearer testimonial never mind st james pit,he has earned more than enough tinykit.gif

rover.gif i can't believe anyone thought shearer would want us for his testmonial game,why would the best centre forward off his time want to be reminded off what could have been,let the bar codes send him off in good style.whilst we polish our trophies and get ready for our european excursion.i would not travel to ewood to watch a shearer testimonial never mind st james pit,he has earned more than enough tinykit.gif

392777[/snapback]

indeed he has waggy.

...But "why would the best centre forward off his time want to be reminded off what could have been" wouldn't that mean a testimonial v Man Utd? rover.gif

Celtic chairman Brian Quinn added: Alan's goalscoring record at Newcastle and throughout his career at club level and for England is a phenomenal achievement.

"We are sure a number of our supporters will make their way to St James' Park to play their part in football history and pay tribute to a true footballing legend."

mad.gif

I'm sure most of our fans would have loved to have been involved in this and would have travelled.....can you see Celtic fans getting more than 5,000 tickets at best?

Celtic chairman Brian Quinn added: Alan's goalscoring record at Newcastle and throughout his career at club level and for England is a phenomenal achievement.

"We are sure a number of our supporters will make their way to St James' Park to play their part in football history and pay tribute to a true footballing legend."

mad.gif

I'm sure most of our fans would have loved to have been involved in this and would have travelled.....can you see Celtic fans getting more than 5,000 tickets at best?

392787[/snapback]

Celtic are getting 3,000 and there's a lottery to see who will get them as it's way over-subscribed

rover.gif you hark on about our ###### poor attenadances and we think 1000;s would travel to watch shearer's testimonial,not a chance.

and bob if i wanted to give to charity i would,to one off my choice not big,al,s tinykit.gif

and bob if i wanted to give to charity i would,to one off my choice not big,al,s tinykit.gif

392790[/snapback]

Good for you but you implied that Shearer was pocketing the money - he isn't - it's going to charity. That's all I was saying. Anyway, we haven't been invited so let them get on with it.

Shearer was failed by Newcastle. It was written by Niall Quinn- a Mackem- but is 100% true. If ever a player was bigger than the club, it was Shearer towering over the lilliputian Geordies. At least at Ewood he had a Premiership winning team built around him and he was able to score over 30 goals three seasons running.

In many ways, Rovers qualifying for Europe (especially if its the Champions League) will be like Banquo's ghost parading at the Shearer testimonial.

why bloody celtic it would have been a great game if had been us against Newcastle with sum of our old players from the title winning team getting an outing

384548[/snapback]

And Shearer playing one half for each team! Fantastic. They could sellout twice over! Come to thinkof it what does anyone else think of the idea of Rovers offering him a separate testomonial?

Edited by Fife Rover

Alan Shearer is a legend! Up there with some of the greats of the game. Im thankful that he spent imo, the best of his career. Im grateful that he played for our club. He deserves this testamonial, no one will ever agree who it should be against, but it will be an emotional end to a great career and a great player. everybody talks about how sad it is that he hasn't won anything for Newcastle! He has won more in his career than a lot of other players, namely our current team. I cant get over him a few years ago saying he would happily give back his premiership medal to win the fa cup at Newcastle. Manybe he should learn to be more grateful. He has done more in his life than most blokes of 35. How many people on here dreamed of pulling on a blue and white shirt and playing in front of the blackburn end!!!How many dreamt of scoring week in, week out? How many have achieved that dream. Shearer dreamt of playing in black and white stripes, he has fulfilled his boyhood dream. More that a lot of people. He should be proud of what he has got.

So do I feel sorry for Alan Shearer? Quite simply. No!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.