SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Alan Smith

benhben

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is it that bad??just read hed damaged it didnt realise its as bad  as that.

did anyone see what happened?

385939[/snapback]

Basically he went to head a ball and got a boot in the eye for his troubles. It wasn't malicious, just a bit stupid and unlucky really. I hadn't seen anywhere that he could lose his eye but I have heard he might well lose his sight so it isn't looking good for him, best of wishes.

We've all gone in for them many times.....both ways. The ball is head high with the attacker running past a defender who is trying to flick it clear over his own head whilst the attacking player has the intention of heading it forward. It's best to lead with an arm to stop the kick but the only way is to outlaw overhead kicks. I always thought overhead kicks they were the most dangerous incidents to face in a crowded goalmouth anyway. I'd much rather face a stray elbow than a flying boot.

I guess the rulemakers allow tham because every so often somebody gets lucky and the public get a spectacular overhead goal.

It is at the same time sad, as well as reason for optimism that this has happened not too long after a thread on this mb about a Scottish league player (forward) who has had some success with no vision in one eye. I'll try and dig up that thread, but I hope Sosoko's injury heals sufficiently not to need that encouragement. unfortunately, the reports seem to indicate a best case of a 20% loss in vision sad.gif

I think I read that Paul Scholes may lose a high percentage of sight in his eye as a result of his injury earlier this season. And then of course we remember Bjornebye's fractured eye socket injury in the latter stages of his Rovers career.

It's a bit cruel when a football injury will blight a players life AFTER football, aswell as cutting short their career.

Mind you, there is that story about that Scottish player (I think he plays for Dundee?) that has been blind in one eye since the age of about six. He's still done alright for himself.

It's a bit cruel when a football injury will blight a players life AFTER football, aswell as cutting short their career.

385972[/snapback]

Actually, I think it is expected that a football player will have injuries that carry through after football. Arthiritis must be the main one, I'd expect.

Mind you, there is that story about that Scottish player (I think he plays for Dundee?) that has been blind in one eye since the age of about six. He's still done alright for himself.

385972[/snapback]

You're on about Dean Shiels from Hibs.

I think there's a huge difference between growing up with lack of sight in one eye and suddenly losing it and being expected to cope immeadiately.

If Scholes or Sissoko lose vision in one of their eyes there's no way they'll for their clubs again. Lets hope they both survive the scares and return sooner rather than later.

Edited by LeChuck

the majority of the liverpool fans were very supportive not like our fans i remember the chant lets all laugh at cisse that must of been bad on him he was lead next to the blackburn end stand. i remember i guy called rufus i think scored an own goal for fulham at the blackburn end the chant was rufus wants to give and he actualy broke down in tears.

i remember i guy called rufus i think scored an own goal for fulham at the blackburn end the chant was rufus wants to give and he actualy broke down in tears.

386066[/snapback]

I remember that, it was Rufus Brevett and it was a cracking OG laugh.gif

the majority of the liverpool fans were very supportive not like our fans i remember the chant lets all laugh at cisse that must of been bad on him he was lead next to the blackburn end stand. i remember i guy called rufus i think scored an own goal for fulham at the blackburn end the chant was rufus wants to give and he actualy broke down in tears.

386066[/snapback]

What are you on about ? Both of those incidents happened in front of where I sit and I don't remember any chants like the ones you allude to.

I distinctly remember "Rufus is a Rover...na na na na". And wasn't it against West Ham? And Rufus Brevitt crying? I seem to remember him being fairly tough and combatitive like Batty.

Edited by OnePost

Whilst not being sat in the Blackburn end I was also at both games and those chants must have been very quiet. Incidentally what did Rufus want to give? Any ideas?

Oh yes and Scholes condition is not as a result of his injury, it was discovered because of the injury. United actually said they would not go into detail about his condition because it was not football related.

I think I read that Paul Scholes may lose a high percentage of sight in his eye as a result of his injury earlier this season. And then of course we remember Bjornebye's fractured eye socket injury in the latter stages of his Rovers career.

385972[/snapback]

Northern Irish Hibs player.

As LeChuck says, suddenly having to cope with a loss in eyesight would be a huge difference to actually learning the game with with such an deficiency.

Reading that he could lose as much as 80% of the vision in his right is horrendous stuff.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.