BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers 1 Arsenal 0

percy

All of it. That's why I didn't select part of your post to quote.

386777[/snapback]

So you feel Peters' performance yesterday was of a good enough quality to face Spurs in a crucial game?

And you don't feel that Champions League qualification could totally change the outlook of our club on a domestic level and a european level for the forseeable future?

If so, then it is you who is talking ''absolute garbage,'' and I'm sure the board would agree if they had a £20m difference in profits come the end of the season.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Peter has shown some talent but yesterday he wasn't poor but didn't bring much to the party. However, to say then that he isn't now good enough or shouldn't be played in games is a bit over the top, as over the top as it was to say that he was already deserving of a regular first team spot. If MGP is injured then for me it is between him and Emerton for the left midfield spot, I'll leave it to Hughes to decide who gets it.

I think we have seen the best of Peter (QPR and to a smaller degree Sunderland) and the worst of Peter (Yesterday I thought he was poor and made the wrong choices far too often, as he did when he came on vs Utd in the cup, though granted it was late on).

This isn't suprising considering his age, but I personally don't want to see the risk taken in a monumental game such as Spurs away. I would prefer Bentley to play from that side, drifting in whilst Bellamy drifts out.

Absolutely fantastic result! The only dissappointment was the attendance. 5th place in the Premier League, beating Arsenal, 22,000 attendance?! There's been enough threads on that I suppose though.

Even bigger game on Sunday, a tougher one imo. Badly need to get a result though, even if just to consolidate 5th.

On the Peter issue, he is still young. He needs games, he wont play well in all of them. If Pederson doesnt make it I wouldnt see a problem playing him. I'm sure Sparky has the answer though...

It's been a good weekend. Went to Scotland v England at rugby (snigger), Rovers up to fifth, Celtic lots of points in the lead and a Scot the British number one at tennis.

And wasn't it wonderful when the interviewer asked Sparky about the Champion's League with a snigger in his voice, to see Sparky seriously consider it? Isn't it nice to feel that the manager has a plan? (And a plan B (UEFA) and C (Intertoto))

I actually found myself on Saturday actually wanting Wigan to win the cup again. Up until then, I'd thought that it was better for us for Manure to win, as then the UEFA places would come further down. Now I believe that Sparky knows exactly what we're going to do, and if he's confident, so am I.

(Of course now they didn't there's another UEFA place for grabs)

I'm a long-time Rovers supporter who nows works for Sky Sports.

One thing that I'm sure will interest you all was the reason for the lack of comments from Sparky post-match.

As some of you have already said, Jim Proudfoot, the Sky commentator was fishing when he asked Arsene Wenger three times to comment about Rovers 'physical' style. Each time Wenger didn't take the bait, so to speak, so the interviewer persisted.

Hughes had heard this and off the air laid into Proudfoot and refused to be interviewed by Sky and, in fact, threatened to boycott interviews with the company altogether.

To paraphrase Hughes claimed that he had had to put up with that kind of rubbish for over a year and made Proudfoot apologise for attempting to open up a whole new can of worms - good on ya Sparky!

To be fair to Wenger on this occasion, he was quite gracious and didn't actually choose to blame Rovers for their 'robust' approach.

I write a lot of Rovers' news and a fair few of our match reports for the website so, have faith, the mis-representation of the club in the national media is now on the wane - hopefully.

One thing that I'm sure will interest you all was the reason for the lack of comments from Sparky post-match.

As some of you have already said, Jim Proudfoot, the Sky commentator was fishing when he asked Arsene Wenger three times to comment about Rovers 'physical' style. Each time Wenger didn't take the bait, so to speak, so the interviewer persisted.

Hughes had heard this and off the air laid into Proudfoot and refused to be interviewed by Sky and, in fact, threatened to boycott interviews with the company altogether.

To paraphrase Hughes claimed that he had had to put up with that kind of rubbish for over a year and made Proudfoot apologise for attempting to open up a whole new can of worms - good on ya Sparky!

To be fair to Wenger on this occasion, he was quite gracious and didn't actually choose to blame Rovers for their 'robust' approach.

I write a lot of Rovers' news and a fair few of our match reports for the website so, have faith, the mis-representation of the club in the national media is now on the wane - hopefully.

386907[/snapback]

Do you still have a job at Sky after posting that?? ohmy.giflaugh.gif

Blackburn's dream nearer reality as away-day nightmare dogs Arsenal

http://football.guardian.co.uk/Match_Repor...1718784,00.html

"Europe is beckoning, providing Rovers hold their nerve.

386921[/snapback]

"Wenger reiterated his belief that his team were "on the way up", yet patently they were in the process of the opposite. But then everyone must be allowed their own views. For example, somebody at the BBC, and more particularly Radio Five Live, clearly believes that Stuart Hall is funny." Never a truer word was spoken! How does that man stay in the job ffs?

To paraphrase Hughes claimed that he had had to put up with that kind of rubbish for over a year and made Proudfoot apologise for attempting to open up a whole new can of worms

386907[/snapback]

Quite right Sparky. Lets hope that was witnessed by the rest of assorted press and media.

386907[/snapback]

Nice insight, QOTSA.

I suppose as far as Proudfoot was concerned there's no news to be had by praising the Rovers for their performance.

More's the pity that Hughes' extraction of the apology was not broadcast. It would have made for entertainting TV.

After about 12 hours in total in a car I'm home again. What a day, a superb performance by the players. Todd fully deserved MOM, after a shaky first 15mins i don't think he made another mistake.

Great day, great result. Now to watch the highlights and get some sleep.

386601[/snapback]

Glad the game justified your effort dude thumbs-up.gif

Quite right Sparky.  Lets hope that was witnessed by the rest of assorted press and media.

386964[/snapback]

Only us and the BBC, the written people were upstairs at the time.

Incidentally, Sergio's surname is pronounced PETER (as in 'and Paul') but there's a certain Norwegian who pronounces his name Peeedersen rather than the Peddersen we persist with!

Plus he prefers Gamst.

Anyways, onwards and upwards!

thumbs-up.gif

Just another quote from the press which I found funny. Keith Pike in The Times

Arsenal took to the pitch with all bar two of their number wearing mittens. Opposite, the gloves were off completely, seven Blackburn Rovers players also wearing short-sleeved shirts. It was not so much a fashion statement as, in Mark Hughes’s words, “a statement of intent”.

I love the use of the word "mittens," far more descriptive than "gloves." Makes them look like Beatrix Potter characters.

did they have the string bits attaching them to each other?

387104[/snapback]

Too true & Arsene had put their thruppenny bits for their bus fares back home in their mittens too. That's why Lehmann was so upset with Savage. He lost his thruppenny bit in that challenge. He had to walk home.

BTW if you are aged 40 or younger, ignore this.

Why was there people leaving the game when there was still 5mins left.

From the tv view it looked as if quite a few people were leaving early, sometimes i can understand this. But not when we're up 1-0 with them stuck in our own half.

Don't start that one again. It's been done to death.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.