BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers 1 Arsenal 0

percy

My MOTM today was Sav. He was superb at keeping Arsenal out of their stride and he offered something going forward too. Honourable mentions to just about everyone else.

On the constructive side, Sergio Peter has all the attributes to make it - the only problem at the moment is his inexperience - not knowing when to pass and when to hold. That will come with games. And finally, what a team we would be if 3 or 4 of our players were mentally quick enough to spot Bellamy's runs!

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We beat Arsenal 1-0, and that's really all that needs to be said, isn't it? But I'll write some more anyway biggrin.gif

Very good performance overall, but I was a little disappointed in seeing us sit back so far already in the 70th minute. Arsenal hadn't even been close to scoring when we played our normal game, but as soon as we started sitting back they looked more dangerous. But ofcourse, to a certain extent they also forced us to.

Bellamy was great, really runs nonstop and creates so much just by his presence alone. Must be hell to play against two extremely fast players like Bellamy and Pongolle. And hell, but differently, to be facing Dickov and Kuqi wink.gif

And while he may not have had a standout performance today, I was again impressed by Lucas Neill, as I have been in every game I've seen him in during the last few months. He's always where he should be, both attacking and defending. And as he's shown many times now, he's very good with the ball as well. Works well together with the likes of Reid and Emerton on the right, as then you have two players who can both attack and defend well.

Oh, and Sav's header to Brad was hilarious. He also put in a great performance today, alongside mainly Todd, Bellamy and Friedel, but really the whole team was good.

And while he may not have had a standout performance today, I was again impressed by Lucas Neill, as I have been in every game I've seen him in during the last few months. He's always where he should be, both attacking and defending. And as he's shown many times now, he's very good with the ball as well. Works well together with the likes of Reid and Emerton on the right, as then you have two players who can both attack and defend well.

386542[/snapback]

Lucas Neill is a football genius! Where can I get the T-shirt!?!?

The guy behind me thought the same thing but in fact from the corner, a Rover - Pongolle? - had jumped behind an Arsenal defender and pushed him. Rennie gave a clear free kick for that which Lehmann wanted to take quickly. Reid got in his way and Lehmann pushed flat on his face, other refs might have sent the keeper off.

386539[/snapback]

Thanks for clearing that up. smile.gif

Totally inept performance by Uriah Rennie, can someone explain to me why we were not given a penalty when Lehmann pushed Reid to the floor. Rennie booked Lehmann so he obviously saw the incident, a foul in the area is a penalty in my eyes even if the game has been stopped. If we were about to take a free kick and a defender blatantly pushed our striker to the floor then a penalty has to be awarded . Why not in this case?

think we should start a petition to get urinal ratherhaveindegestionthan take rennie...either shot or sacked ...he is a copmplete and utter tool ..

as for lehman sav should of decked him i wopuld have if hed done that to me.

proud to a rover ....we done em!!!! yessssss

Fantastic performance today.

I posted after the Everton debacle that I was ashamed to be a Rover after that performance. Well exactly the opposite tonight. Very proud. rover.gif

We were superb for 70 minutes, Arsenal never had a serious effort on goal in that time and the only worry at half time was that Todd and Savage had both passed up fairly simple chances to make it 2-0.

On 70 minutes Friedel was finally called upon to make an excellent save and if there was a slight criticism today we sat back far too deep for the final 20 minutes and stopped doing the things that had got us in a winning position in the first place. But that's perhaps being churlish and we held out without too many problems.

Everyone played well today but I thought Todd, Savage and Bellamy were exceptional. Todd fully deserved his MOM award and Savage was back to his best after a couple of below par performances.

Up front Bellamy proved the difference for the second straight home game and when fully fit and in the mood seems virtually unstoppable. I thought he might be good when we signed him but I'm amazed how much better than that he actually is. Absolutely top drawer. Once again his fitness over the last eleven games will be crucial.

It goes without saying but you have to put in a big shout for Messrs. Hughes, Bowen and Eddie Niedsthingy tongue.gif at this point . Only 995,000 spent and we've been transformed from relegation certs to live champions League contenders. How good a job are they doing?

Totally inept performance by Uriah Rennie, can someone explain to me why we were not given a penalty when Lehmann pushed Reid to the floor. Rennie booked Lehmann so he obviously saw the incident, a foul in the area is a penalty in my eyes even if the game has been stopped.  If we were about to take a free kick and a defender blatantly pushed our striker to the floor then a penalty has to be awarded . Why not in this case?

386554[/snapback]

because the incident occured AFTER the referee had correctly blown for a free kick.

So the ball wasnt in play.

I CANT SEE HOW HE CAN BOOK TODD FOR STANDING HIS GROUND AND THEN THE SAME THING AT THE ARSES END AND NO CARD.

I CANT SEE HOW HE COULDNT GIVE A FREE KICK ON LUCAS WHEN HIS LEG COULD HAVE BEEN BROKEN.

HE IS A PRAT WHO THINKS EVERYONE AS COME TO SEE HIM ..

Very good performance overall, but I was a little disappointed in seeing us sit back so far already in the 70th minute. Arsenal hadn't even been close to scoring when we played our normal game, but as soon as we started sitting back they looked more dangerous. But ofcourse, to a certain extent they also forced us to.

386542[/snapback]

It was around that time that they moved Fabregas from right midfield into the middle. I'm glad Wenger played him on the right for so long, a far more dangerous player when he's in the middle.

From the BBC website;

Blackburn boss Mark Hughes:

"It was a fantastic performance from each and every one of my players.

"We were really brave in everything that we did, we stuck to our task and caused them untold problems at the back, they really couldn't cope.

"They had a little bit of pressure towards the end of the game, but never really troubled Brad Friedel. We were excellent from start to finish today."

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger:

"I'm very sad because I don't think we deserved to lose this game.

"For maybe five or six minutes in the first half we suffered a little bit, but overall we were always on top of the game but we couldn't score.

"We lacked a little bit mental sharpness maybe because of Tuesday night but overall we gave absolutely everything physically until the last second of the game."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proof (if needed) that old lion king has lost the bloody plot. Funny how these old generals are wobbling these days. Fergie admitting that victory against wigan will confirm a successful season. FFS, both managers release their talisman and the rest of the team starts to disintegrate.

Happy Days rolleyes.gif

I don't find teletext match rating very amusing:

Savage 2, Bellamy 5

Bunch of W@!!!$ !

Must be a sort of get-back for Savage saying a couple of weeks back that he doesn't care if he gets a rating of 4 on teletext every week.

But who cares really, we won rover.gif

Andy Todd played like Franco Baresi at his peak today. He was magnificent. The best defensive performance I've seen at Ewood since a young Rio Ferdinand.

386548[/snapback]

The same young Rio Ferdinand who passed it back to James chest high, allowing super Flitty to pounce on the inevitable rebound? laugh.gifthumbs-up.gif

rover.gif fantastic result,we played very well,every player did his job and a little bit more,even lily smile.gif kept waiting for arsenal to click into gear,when fleb came on they did,but we held out.i honestly think we are not a top 6 side,but its all about winning games and we are doing that at the moment tinykit.gif

when did we see 5th place last time?

cheers

baris k.

386491[/snapback]

Baris,

The last time we were in fifth place was 25th August 2003, but that was just after three games in that season. We dropped pretty quickly afterwards.

Now the last time we were in fifth place after a decent amount of games was 31st March 1998 after a home win against Barnsley. Eight years ago.

That's right EIGHT YEARS. So I think we all take out hats off to everyone at Rovers, and especially Mark Hughes for moving the horrible sad mess that he took over, into fifth place. A marvellous acheivement. Let's hope we can keep it going.

And while everyone is lauding their favourite player today, may I put in a word for Stephen Reid? Not the most skillful player in the world, but does he ever stop running? He must put the fear of God up all opposition players.

Well done to the lot of them. Roll on WHL next week.

Christ, what a good result!

The performaces of all of our players, bar two, were exceptional. Bellamy was incredible, Todd had arguably his best game ever, Savage was brilliant!

Only Peter and Pongo let the side down. Sergio's deliveries from dead balls were great but apart from that he was poor, which is a shame. I was championing him for a start but those who said that was premature were proved right today, hopefully he will improve.

As for Pongo I am not sure what he really did for us today, even Kuqi puts himself around a bit and wins flick ons. I really hope he steps up his game as obviously he has strength and technique. If DIckov is fit he must start the next game, failing that give Bentley a shot.

In the context of games to come we are set up really well. A HUGE match at White Hart Lane next sunday- if we win that (which to be fair will be unlikely) we can genuinely look at ourselves as CL contenders. The next three games after that- Boro and Villa at home followed by the Mackems away are all (gulp) eminantly winnable.

Absolutely sensational thumbs-up.gifthumbs-up.gifsmile.giflaugh.gif

Extracts from

football365.com

Wenger blames Real hangover

Saturday February 25 2006

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger believed his side were feeling a Champions League hangover after slumping to their eighth Premiership away defeat at Blackburn.

Norwegian midfielder Morten Gamst Pedersen scored the only goal in the 18th minute after great work by Craig Bellamy, who escaped down the right, shrugged off the challenge of Philippe Senderos on his way to the byline and cut the ball back for a simple tap-in.

"Every game you face different kinds of problems. Today we faced a very different way to play the game and we got caught one where Blackburn scored a very good goal,'' he said.

"It was difficult to find real fluency because the pitch was difficult and that did not help.

"It was important first not to concede a goal but after that, in the second half, we went up a gear and could not score.

"I am sad for the players because they gave everything but it was not to happen and we lost another game where we couldn't score away from home.''

In truth Arsenal did have chances to at least equalise - Brad Friedel made one great save from Emmanuel Adebayor in the second half - but none of them fell to top scorer Thierry Henry.

That was in part to the excellence of Andy Todd in defence, whose performance helped his side leapfrog Arsenal into fifth place.

"We are delighted we have been able to overcome a very established side,'' said manager Mark Hughes, who got his tactics just right.

"We have got three points, leapfrogged above them in the Premier League so and all in all I'm very satisfied.

"We had opportunities. I thought Arsenal had a reasonable amount of possession over the 90 minutes, probably more than we had in the second half, but Brad had one save to deal with.

"Apart from that they never really got behind us and had shots on goal."

It was difficult to find real fluency because the pitch was difficult

Apart from that load of tripe, Arsene, you're accepting this one.

Apparantly we have leapfrogged Arsenal.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.