Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley Called Up

Ricky

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest shoppybrfc

Whats Bentley about 5th Choice for England? Bet the guy is gutted seeing someone of Jenas' quality going on before him. Jenas doesnt even ###### play RW for the Yids.

This is why I dont really give a rats arse about England - Run by cretins from top to bottom. Only really take an interest if a Rovers player is involved but Bentley may as well have been left out of the squad and given a rest before the Under 21's. I could've watched Super League instead of that crap!! I can understand Downing coming on as he played really well last week but Dyer, Jenas & then Carrick coming on in a non-competitive game where there was an ideal opportunity to experiment was a joke. Do you think Bentley would've fluffed that cross towards the end by Dyer (Edit - It was apparently Super Jermaine Jenas) when it was 2 on 2? Probably not. I'm semi-hoping for a draw/defeat on Weds just to get rid of this clown but that would probably mean no Euro 2008. Aaaaaaaargh!!!

Edited by JamieUK

I was pleased that Brazil equalised-hopefuly a draw to Estonia will get this numpty out of the job asap. So Bents gets a couple of under 21 motm's in a row...then a B motm but still McClaren tries Jenas and Dyer for the umpteenth time. A great advert for aspiring England International's here-work your way up through the International ladder and ......oh....

.......McClaren out.

Edited by Somerset Rover!

Dyer, Jenas & then Carrick coming on in a non-competitive game where there was an ideal opportunity to experiment was a joke.

I agree that Jenas coming on and not Bentley was a joke to say atleast. But the thing about England is that you ain't allowed to experiment. If you lose even a friendly game then the bloody press will have your head on a plate the following morning...

That's true, but I don't think anyone would have been too critical of him for bringing on his only true right sided midfielder for the last 15 minutes of a friendly. If he's selected Bentley then it should be because he's good enough; clearly he doesn't really feel that he is.

Guest shoppybrfc

Hughes should pull Bentley from the U21's after this, tell the FA to (Please don't use that word again) off! It's of no advantage to Bentleys career to be in the U21's everyone knows too good for the u21's now.

Edited by shoppybrfc

It seems McClaren as decided to follow Sven's weird subs system.

If Bentley can't get on the pitch ahead of Stewart 'He's left-footed you know' Downing, Kieron 'I average five games a season' Dyer or Jermaine 'JJ' Jenas then i'm afriad he's never going to get on.

Also can anyone confirm that Lampard was playing, because I didn't hear his name mentioned?

Time for a rant.

Did McLaren not say at the start of his reign that he'd take friendlies more serious and make it an honour to wear the shirt again. Let's ignore the fact that Crouch didnt start so that a token Man U player could play in the case of the god awful Alan Smith. At least that might keep a portion of the 9 zillion Man U fans buying shirts. We were in front for what would be a moral boosting win. Then the changes. First Downing for Joe Cole even though Cole had looked more lively than Rhubarb and Custard had done in the middle of the pitch. Second Kieren Dyer on before Englands most potent marksman of the last 18 months. Finally Jermaine flippin Jenas on for Beckham. By the time 'JJ' wasted the glorious 3 on 2 break I'd had enough and hoped Brazil scored to put what is surely deserved pressure on McLaren. I cheered the equaliser.

Lawro thinks we'll play a 'lone' striker against Estonia on Wednesday, similar to when we got absolutely battered in Croatia. Personally, I'd go with a Bentley, Cole, Gerrard Beckham midfield, 2 strikers and go at them all guns blazing. We wont though, we'll sit back in the hope of grinding out a 'professional' solitary goal win. If we don't start with 2 strikers on Wednesday, and if Crouch isn't one of them, for the good of English football I hope we don't win. At least we'd still have a slim chance of qualifying. People would say who would we replace McLaren with. I don't care. Anyone. Ian Holloway. At least we'd be useless but get a laugh. This is just plain frustrating. People, especially other nations, always say 'why can't you accept you're not as good as you think you should be'. I think the reason is because most people know that we suffer from favouritism within the camp (Lampard), not getting the best out of players in their correct positions and strange and ultimately stupid decisions from the 'management'. Even then we'd still not be good enough but at least we'd sleep at night knowing we'd done all we can.

Rant over (and I've not mentioned Paul Robinson once!)

Edited by Hasta

Time for a rant.

Did McLaren not say at the start of his reign that he'd take friendlies more serious and make it an honour to wear the shirt again. Let's ignore the fact that Crouch didnt start so that a token Man U player could play in the case of the god awful Alan Smith. At least that might keep a portion of the 9 zillion Man U fans buying shirts. We were in front for what would be a moral boosting win. Then the cahnges. First Downing for Joe Cole who looked more lively than Rhubarb and Custard had done in the middle of the pitch. Second Kieren Dyer on instead of Englands most potent marksman of the last 18 months. Finally Jermaine flippin Jenas on for Beckham. By the time 'JJ' wasted the glorious 3 on 2 break I'd had enough and hoped Brazil scored to put what is surely deserved pressure on McLaren. I cheered the equaliser.

Lawro thinks we'll play a 'lone' striker against Estonia on Wednesday, similar to when we got absolutely battered in Croatia. Personally, I'd go with a Bentley, Cole, Gerrard Beckham midfield, 2 strikers and go at them all guns blazing. We wont though, we'll sit back in the hope of grinding out a 'professional' solitary goal win. If we don't start with 2 strikers on Wednesday, and if Crouch isn't one of them, for the good of English football I hope we don't win. At least we'd still have a slim chance of qualifying. People would say who would we replace McLaren with. I don't care. Anyone. ian Holloway. At least we'd be useless but get a laugh. This is just plain frustrating. People, especially other nations, always say 'why can't you accept you're not as good as you think you should be'. I think the reason is because most people know that we suffer from favouritism within the camp (Lampard), not getting the best out of players in their correct positions and strange and ultimately stupid decisions from the 'management'. Even then we'd still not be good enough but at least we'd sleep at night knowing we'd done all we can.

Rant over (and I've not mentioned Paul Robinson once!)

I agree with you 100% mate.

Although I thought Shorey had a steady game at left-back. He seemed to not want to push on and offer an option going foward. Surely our own Warnock would be a better option, oh i forget he doesn't play for one of the big clubs anymore he's no chance of playing then.

Edited by grizfoot

ARHHHHH! Why select an inform player then drop him for the retards that are Dyer and Jenas? Dyer at best is a AM and a very bad one at that. Then to bring the brilliant beckham off for carrick was just pathetic. He will only play players who have england caps and have the special stonecutters ring! (simpsons reference). It's just wrong, well done to nicky shorey on a great debut in teh face of being dropped for a player who doesn't get in the chelsea starting line up on wednesday.

McClaren out, Bentley In!!!!

Even worse, it was actually Jenas for Beckham :huh: With Bents sitting on the bench, that was shocking. Jenas then bottled a great opportunity to cross that was tailor made for our Dave. good god, I was sickened, after that I wanted Brazil to open up and go forward, something they didn't actually do at any point in the game.

Both the full-backs were under orders not to push up, or so it seemed watching the game.

And that's it, no more Lampard. He was shocking, and the only reason he wasn't the worst player on the pitch was Alan Smith was playing.

Even worse, it was actually Jenas for Beckham :huh: With Bents sitting on the bench, that was shocking. Jenas then bottled a great opportunity to cross that was tailor made for our Dave. good god, I was sickened, after that I wanted Brazil to open up and go forward, something they didn't actually do at any point in the game.

Both the full-backs were under orders not to push up, or so it seemed watching the game.

And that's it, no more Lampard. He was shocking, and the only reason he wasn't the worst player on the pitch was Alan Smith was playing.

Wes Brown.

Hasta agree with everything you say. I find myself wanting England to lose or at least not win most games nowadays just because the quality of the performances is so poor. And then Motson and co go on about Terry scoring the first competitive goal at the New Wembley. What was the under 21 game then? A not trying game? The first goal was scored by that good Italian and the first Englishman to score was that guy you've all forgotten was on the bench tonight - David Bentley

I think Bentley is a better player than Jenas and Downing, and he's more consistent than Dyer.

Also agree that Warnock must surely be given a chance if shorey gets a game (don't think he will though)

Shorey has been, by all accounts, excellent for Reading all season. Warnock barely played before joining us in January. I'd say Shorey probably deserves it more on that basis. Also, Warnock is now 26 and hasn't made it into the England squad. I'd give the younger player the go every time myself.

He took Lampard off later and all he had to do was push Jenas into the middle where he's suppose to play and give Bentley his Debut, Shorey looked nervous and didn't really want to push up and i think that kind of affected Joe Coles game as he lost the ball in positions where he doesn't usually lose it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.