BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley Called Up

Ricky

Bentley is 22 now. However I thought as he was 21 or under at the start of qualifying for this tournament, he was definately eligible for this tournament. I cant believe he's been dropped considering he's in the best form so far for Rovers.

Looking at the list low down on that page I see Nigel Reo Coker is 22 and captained the team tonight, but dont think any others in the first column played.

Edited by Hasta

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies if i have missed the discussion,but, why did Bentley not get called up to the U21 squad that won today over in Germany?Is he injured or did he have a falling out with Taylor or what?Seems he had aquitted himself well in previous U21 matches and no one can deny he's been on a hot streak of sorts.

he played last month for U21, on the left wing. i cant find any media reports or interviews where bentley's ommision is mentioned. media black-out! very strange. :huh:

Perhaps he was dropped because he's about to come out of the U21s so they wanted to try somebody else out? Personally though I'd figure that's even more reason to keep playing him, so he can show his international calibre to steve.

• 3 months later...

Bentley is back in the Under 21's and is playing quite well at the moment, better than most other Englanders (we've been pretty poor at the moment and are 1-0 down.)

This reminded me of the last few posts in this thread. It seems rather daft now that Peter Taylor actually dropped Bentley for a U21 qualifyer at the start of the season from the entire squad!

Heard the commentator say there'd been some disagreement between Bentley and the previous under 21 set up but since the same guy said twice that Ashley Young had signed for Spurs in the transfer window perhaps we should take that with a pinch of salt.

He was certainly head and shoulders above the rest of the team in the first half and the spaniards couldn't keep track of him. The problem was that the rest of his team seemed not to be able to cope with his movement and crossing either. Pearce said straight after the game that he was outstanding but if you look on the websites today ( i don't know about the newspapers) it's all about Lita saving the game. Yet another example of the media bias against us?

Bentley should be playing for the full squad tonight, he has been on top form of late and is proving to be a top class player.

He should be ahead of Dyer and Wright Phillips for me

Don't forget Jermaine Jenas...

surely Bentley is more deserving of a squad place?

Bentley should be playing for the full squad tonight, he has been on top form of late and is proving to be a top class player.

He should be ahead of Dyer and Wright Phillips for me

Were it a competitive game, I'd have Dyer on the right. His form's pretty good lately and has the experience.

As it's a freindly I agree, I'd give a debut to Bentley.

SWP is a long way behind both players right now.

Simon :brfc:

Great to see that Bentley was given MoM, he definitely deserved it. Nugent and Milner also were very good, and the only other one that was fairly good was Reo-Coker. The defence was crap!

We are very soon going to get the media and his agent trying to unsettle Bentley so be warned! :ph34r:

Edited by Fife Rover

Great to see that Bentley was given MoM, he definitely deserved it. Nugent and Milner also were very good, and the only other one that was fairly good was Reo-Coker. The defence was crap!

We are very soon going to get the media and his agent trying to unsettle Bentley so be warned! :ph34r:

i know i think sadly Bentley is Manchester United bound in the summer, thats what all the mancs who i work with keep saying anyway

I've always found that for England U21 games players try to do to much on their own. They seem to be trying to prove they are good enough for the elevation to the full sqaud and often teamwork goes out of the window. Skillfull players are not content with beating one man but they have to take on two or three rather than play the simple ball. Strikers tend to shoot from anywhere within 25 yards regardless of a teammates position (Stead used to do this for the U21's). They only start to play as a unit when they need to (i.e crucial qualifiers or when they are behind like last night)

To his credit most of the times Bentley tried to drift past a player it worked and quite often he'd receive the ball from his defenders, turn and play it forward. That's why he looked so much better than the likes of Milner and Young. As we now come to expect, that ability to create a couple of yards on the wing and whip a dangerous cross in was again evident but as Gumboots pointed out an England player was never expecting this and they were always on the back foot.

One other point, how bad did the Spaniards make Huddlestone look! (And he's been playing well for Spuds)

i know i think sadly Bentley is Manchester United bound in the summer, thats what all the mancs who i work with keep saying anyway

Can't see it really. He would cost 15 odd million and United are certainly looking well covered in the midfield department.

Next season they are going to have Hargreaves, Carrick, Scholes, Giggs, Ronaldo, Evre and Park to contend with. Liverpool are, in my mind, the main threat as they actually might need a player like Bentley depite their profusion of midfield options.

Edited by joey_big_nose

Can't see it really. He would cost 15 odd million and United are certainly looking well covered in the midfield department.

Next season they are going to have Hargreaves, Carrick, Scholes, Giggs, Ronaldo, Evre and Park to contend with. Liverpool are, in my mind, the main threat as they actually might need a player like Bentley depite their profusion of midfield options.

Ronaldo might go in the summer

Hargreaves might now stay at Bayern because they are changing their manager

Evre will play at left back instead of midfield

so i think if this happens they might well be intrested in Bentley in the summer

Sorry to rock the boat but imo David Bentley is nowhere near England material yet. Let him develop further and then if he gets a chance with Maclaren gone he will be better equipped to take it.....

........ alternatively if we are planning to sell him soon then a cap or two would see his value soar.

Sorry to rock the boat but imo David Bentley is nowhere near England material yet. Let him develop further and then if he gets a chance with Maclaren gone he will be better equipped to take it.....

........ alternatively if we are planning to sell him soon then a cap or two would see his value soar.

he deserves to be in the side above Dyer and Wright Phillips, i think Bentley is turning out to be a class player and is getting better and better by each game and would be a usefull back up in the squad

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.