BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley Called Up

Ricky

Appropriate too for a club with our history that our players make their mark today. Kept waiting for the commentators to use the word fairytale about Matt Derbyshire but somehow they resisted it. Much more exciting watching international games when your players are playing, and probably a far better game than we'll see form the full squad later today.

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Wikipedia Bentley's nickname is 'Tanky'....what is that all about?

Sounds like he knows how to put the ale away, or even the hard stuff! For those who don't know, it's a Navy thing. The sailor in each mess who had the job of fetching and serving the rum each dinner time was known to all his shipmates as "tanky". He was almost always an alcoholic.

Edited by Fife Rover

But just who was the lucky fan who received a pair of David Bentley's old boots before the kick off.? Bentley made a bee-line to a group of supporters behind the goal, signed a few autographs, and gave one guy a pair of football boots. Pity he never cleaned them first though

Good stuff by Bentley and Derbyshire today. Only managed to catch the first half but Bentley stood out for his general play and of course his free kick. The first Englishman to officially score at the new Wembley is a Rover! :rover:

Edited by frosty

Bentley was playing fairly central today.

He is much stronger physically this season.

In a couple of years he will be an excellent central midfielder in my view. He moves well off the ball, a bit like Tugay.

I would say in the context of the Carrick and SWP fees in recent years that we are probably going to get a bid for around 12m this summer from one of the big four for Bentley. In that light would anyone accept it?

My personal opinion would be with Sparky's outstanding transfer record is that we probably would come out of it better than we are now (look at the Neill-Warnock situation), especially if we managed to get in a top class partner for McCarthy. In Reid we have a very good right winger coming back from injury. Dunn can also perform out there. Providing both of them progress I am not actually sure that we would be that much worse equipped on the right.

We might well be losing an excellent Tugay replacement though in the longer term. But can we realistically hope to keep him in the longer term?

Nonetheless outstanding performance from him today. Great to see a Rover succeed, and obviously I would be delighted if he stayed.

Gone off his performances lately - No dont accept around £12 million.

Keep hold, he seems happy, hes just got a new deal. Re-consider the situation in 2 years! We are trying to build and the TV money should allow us to do that further

Guest shoppybrfc
. In Reid we have a very good right winger coming back from injury. Dunn can also perform out there. Providing both of them progress I am not actually sure that we would be that much worse equipped on the right.

What planet are you on? Reid is half the player Bentley is when its comes to playing right wing, Reid is a poorer crosser, cant get best his man with skill like Bentley does, I think you've forget how average Reid is on wing. Reid only looked half decent at times because Brett had been so crap there for so long.

Does anyone else seriously think Reid is as good as Bentley on the wing?

I would say in the context of the Carrick and SWP fees in recent years that we are probably going to get a bid for around 12m this summer from one of the big four for Bentley. In that light would anyone accept it?

My personal opinion would be with Sparky's outstanding transfer record is that we probably would come out of it better than we are now (look at the Neill-Warnock situation), especially if we managed to get in a top class partner for McCarthy. In Reid we have a very good right winger coming back from injury. Dunn can also perform out there. Providing both of them progress I am not actually sure that we would be that much worse equipped on the right.

We might well be losing an excellent Tugay replacement though in the longer term. But can we realistically hope to keep him in the longer term?

Nonetheless outstanding performance from him today. Great to see a Rover succeed, and obviously I would be delighted if he stayed.

Well I saw the Sky website posting after his latest non-inclusion to the full England squad and he does seem happy at Ewood and I'm glad that he mentions that he'll start to get really annoyed after 300-odd games for Blackburn without a call up, then he might start to think about moving. I think we can see him staying for the foreseeable future.

in light of the new bumper tv deal, prices are bound to be inflated. if you consider that a defender like micah richards was being touted around the 12m mark this january, i will reject a 12m bid for bentley out of hand. Besides, bentley for now seems to be happy staying here, although he could quite easily get into one of the top 4 sides. Hopefully there's no clause in that new contract he just signed!

We dont want to be selling any of our players in the close season what with the increase in season ticket holders and the return of the feel good factor to the club.Heaven forbid we sell any of our up and coming young guns,Rovers will be relatively 'cash rich' with the tv money.

Get the no sale signs up at Ewood now! :angry:

First time I've seen the Routledge goal and all I can say is what a world class ball from Derbyshire for all the "high class technical finish" guff about the tap-in.

Brilliant to have two Rovers on the score sheet in such a high profilr u-21 game.

I think all the worries about us losing players this summer are being over-done. I believe the contractual positions are pretty tight and the fees would have to be humungous. Bentley knows what it is like to be at a big 4 and I doubt he'd want much more of that before he could be 100% sure of being first choice starter. On that basis, there is no vacancy at any of the Big 4.

Why go to inferior coaching regimes at Spuds and Newcastle? Thank goodness Martin O'Neill is starting so slowly at Villa. Who else is there to be concerned about? After all Lucas resisted the pressure to go to Barcelona and Milan.

What planet are you on? Reid is half the player Bentley is when its comes to playing right wing, Reid is a poorer crosser, cant get best his man with skill like Bentley does, I think you've forget how average Reid is on wing. Reid only looked half decent at times because Brett had been so crap there for so long.

Does anyone else seriously think Reid is as good as Bentley on the wing?

I wouldn't agree with that. While not nearly as skillful as Bentley and less proficient at crossing Reid has attributes that Bentley lacks- pace and power. Honestly in many of the grittier games we were playing this season (West Ham, Watford anyone) we really missed Reid. His scoring record is comparable to Bentley's also.

While I think Bentley is a better player than Reid, but not by that long a chalk at the moment, my point was if Reid comes back and we go out and buy and absolutely first rate striker to partner Benni with the cash might we have a better overall team?

Idle speculation, but this summer is going to be full of it!

Edited by joey_big_nose

First time I've seen the Routledge goal and all I can say is what a world class ball from Derbyshire for all the "high class technical finish" guff about the tap-in.

:blink:

If the defender had have applied himself properly, that ball would have easily been intercepted. When play like that is being described as 'world-class', then I worry sometimes. In addition Derbyshire is not world-class, or anywhere near it in fact, but he could be in the future.

I wouldn't agree with that. While not nearly as skillful as Bentley and less proficient at crossing Reid has attributes that Bentley lacks- pace and power. Honestly in many of the grittier games we were playing this season (West Ham, Watford anyone) we really missed Reid. His scoring record is comparable to Bentley's also.

While I think Bentley is a better player than Reid, but not by that long a chalk at the moment, my point was if Reid comes back and we go out and buy and absolutely first rate striker to partner Benni with the cash might we have a better overall team?

Idle speculation, but this summer is going to be full of it!

I agree with all of that Joey. I'd add that Bentley is going nowhere this summer, he's enjoying his football too much. Coincidentally it was all about Reidy going to United last year!

My midfield for next season:

Pedersen                  Savage                          Reid                     Bentley

:blink:

If the defender had have applied himself properly, that ball would have easily been intercepted. When play like that is being described as 'world-class', then I worry sometimes. In addition Derbyshire is not world-class, or anywhere near it in fact, but he could be in the future.

No chance, mate. He'll probably make himself into a serviceable Premiership striker, but he's never going to be world class.

It was an inch perfect pass threaded through at exactly the correct pace. I must admit I was surprised that Derbs was capable of playing such a great ball. I didn't say he was world class but I am not going back on what I said about the pass.

Why do you say he's never going to be world class? The kid's just started, he's hungry, got a bit of pace, great finisher, reads the game well, brings others in to play. He reminds me of Owen but when I think about it he has more to his game than Owen. If Owen's world class then Derbs can be one day!

Bentley's influence got the hosts back in the game.

"He's like our mini-Zidane - a class act," was how he was described in the matchday programme notes by Nigel Reo-Coker, who became the first England skipper to lead a team out at the stadium.

Former Arsenal midfielder Bentley also received praise from one of the finest playmakers to have graced the English game.

"He was outstanding," said Gianfranco Zola, a hero for Chelsea at the old Wembley and now technical consultant to the Azzurri's U21s.

Bentley's influence got the hosts back in the game.

"He's like our mini-Zidane - a class act," was how he was described in the matchday programme notes by Nigel Reo-Coker, who became the first England skipper to lead a team out at the stadium.

Former Arsenal midfielder Bentley also received praise from one of the finest playmakers to have graced the English game.

"He was outstanding," said Gianfranco Zola, a hero for Chelsea at the old Wembley and now technical consultant to the Azzurri's U21s.

What the **** are they referring to him as "former Arsenal midfielder" for? What's wrong with Blackburn midfielder? Are they afraid that the southern ignoramuses won't be able to understand unless he is associated with a London team? That is probably the truthof it! :ph34r:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.