BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn End Drummers ?

ABBEY

Blackburn End Drummers, what do you think.  

294 members have voted

1. 1. Blackburn End Drummers, what do you think.

• They should be allowed to stay
    • They should be made to go
    • Not bothered either way
    • Its all Groobys Fault.. Get into em.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A number of people have said BRISA should be looking into this (incidentally - have you all joined BRISA yet? biggrin.gif ). Well, one of the things we're going to be looking at in the near future is how to increase the atmosphere in general at Ewood. Obviously, the whole question regarding the drummer(s) fits into this category.

In time we will be asking you all to put forward your ideas and suggestions and, like we did with the attendance topic (an update of which will be available soon), we will then present these ideas to the club.

Edited by Scotty

Do the drummers get free tickets from the club?

Get rid. Not needed at the games and the utterly pathetic 'Gerrintterum' chant is an embarrasment to the entire club.

As for the Family Stand - how about next to the BBE in the lower Jack Walker? Good atmosphere - near the most vocal section but allows more fans who would like to sing to get into the BBE.

386156[/snapback]

Well as someone who sits in the family stand I quite like where it is now thank you very much tongue.gif And if the lower BBE was full to bursting every match I could see your point. But it isn't. And for your info, the kids really get into it and sing a lot. Okay, it sounds like the munchkins from Wizard of Oz...

Well as someone who sits in the family stand I quite like where it is now thank you very much  tongue.gif  And if the lower BBE was full to bursting every match I could see your point.  But it isn't.  And for your info, the kids really get into it and sing a lot.  Okay, it sounds like the munchkins from Wizard of Oz...

386222[/snapback]

Fair enough, wasn't trying to have a go at all the dads and lads... wink.gif and mums and young ladies too! Don't take it personally! tongue.gif

IN THE NAME OF GOD PLEASE GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The lad with the glasses seems to think he's on some sort of personal crusade to get  noticed everytime we appear on telly.........I just cover my eyes in total  f'kin embarrassment! unsure.gif

386158[/snapback]

Absolutley!! Please get rid they are embarrasing especially when you watch footage on the telly and all you can hear is bang bang bang

Other than a few exceptions I have to say the drummers are the only thing that makes our atmosphere really look decent on the tv. Maybe things would improve if they didn't kill off all of the songs, but with smaller crowds at the moment I think they are probably doing us some good. We'd be better off giving them some drumming lessons rather than kicking them out.

Absolutley!! Please get rid they are embarrasing especially when you watch footage on the telly and all you can hear is bang bang bang

386239[/snapback]

bang bang bang, the drummers are in cahoots(sp) with headache pills.

they must run the local chemists or something laugh.gif

business is booming apparently blink.gif

Do the drummers get free tickets from the club?

Get rid. Not needed at the games and the utterly pathetic 'Gerrintterum' chant is an embarrasment to the entire club.

As for the Family Stand - how about next to the BBE in the lower Jack Walker? Good atmosphere - near the most vocal section but allows more fans who would like to sing to get into the BBE.

386156[/snapback]

Glad someone else has said this. I sing a lot in the BBE Upper, my nephew does too. You need kids around people who sing else future generation wont sing and the atmosphere will die even more.

As for the drummer please please oh please get him out.

Other than a few exceptions I have to say the drummers are the only thing that makes our atmosphere really look decent on the tv. Maybe things would improve if they didn't kill off all of the songs, but with smaller crowds at the moment I think they are probably doing us some good. We'd be better off giving them some drumming lessons rather than kicking them out.

386245[/snapback]

Words fail me . I wouldn't mind but they sound cr4p on tele as well !!! rolleyes.gif

After years of me banging on about this (no pun intended) and my requests for polls on this website to be turned down on the basis that the drummers aren't going anywhere so why have a poll (!!??), there is now a clear message that the drummers are not wanted.

For those posters who think the drummers need lessons in timing, may I suggest that you take lessons in accoustics (and specifically the speed of sound)?

Chants that start at the back corners of the BBE are killed off because of the the time they take to travel to the ears of the drummer. By the time his moronic bangings to make their way back to people who actually have something positive to contribute to the atmosphere everything is out of time. You could have Larry Mullen Jr or Charlie Watts keeping timing; it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference.

A little optimistic to expect that level of intelligence wink.gif , but there is an ex-drummer on this board.

The pathetic attempt to put the keepers off at goal kicks is just downright embarrassing, isn't the point to improve atmosphere rather than make the club look silly.

386100[/snapback]

OK, OK, I give in!!!

Together with one of the current guys, I was one of the first drummers - why did we start?

Because the club invited us due to the lack of support pouring from the hot bed that is Ewood Park during the latter half of the season where Tony Parkes was running things between Ray Harford and Roy Hodgson.

Were we Johnny cum lately's?

Well, I started going in our centenary year and the other guy a year or so earlier, so we've been there through thin and thinner as well as better times.

We practised during the week and only ever had the intention of supporting what was happening together with the constant flow of intuitive wit and sparkle of the BBE - with the occasional attempt to get things started.

Did we get free season tickets? Most definitely not.

Why did I stop some years ago? Because BRFC is my time out and I don't want to feel obliged to anyone at weekends and also it is after all only a game and a number of encounters unrelated to drumming made me realise some people think it's more than that - SAD!!

When I read some of the stuff that comes on this board whenever this subject arises, I always end up coming to the same conclusion - make them redundant by creating the amtosphere the team needs in making "fortress Ewood". The reason we were invited and I guess the reason there is still a presence is that the club feel the support is insufficiently vocal to motivate the players and create an environment that intimidates the opposition - so do something about it instead of posting here.

I know the other bloke who was there from the start of the drumming thing and can categorically assure you he cares more about BRFC than some members would consider reasonably sane - so perhaps a bit of respect for a guy who puts himself on the line in a situation with which he is not comfortable at the best of times. Believe it or not, not everybody wants to be on telly in the endless pursuit of style over substance, so please think about where he comes from as well when making personal attacks that, in many cases, are simply not true.

Having got that off my chest, I do accept some points made:

Perhaps the club could gve the guys currently involved time to practice and co-ordinate so that they can be more selective, supportive of what is coming from the stands and perhaps even a bit creative

There are too many - it only takes a couple to do the job of acting as a catalyst

Remember they started because the club felt there was insufficient support from the terraces. Ultimately, we can render them redundant by getting behind the team - they are repetitive and lacking imagination, but maybe some constructive thoughts could make them a real asset instead of our getting lazy, relying on them and then bitching because they don't do what we want when we want - at least they're trying to make a contribution instead of sitting there, leaving 20 minutes early, arriving 10 minutes late because the pub is still open, retiring after 35 minutes to watch on telly because a half-time drink is more important and only contributing for the 30 seconds after we score.

This MB has more venom on this than anything else - is this the biggest issue of the day?

We are mid-table at best, with dwindling gates, a high cost base, a limted target market, a low threshold audience that invariably leaves early and all of this is constant regardless of the drummers.

Perhaps we could all grow up a bit and debate more pressing factors affecting the club we claim to support and invite the drummers to discuss how we can better use the potential they offer of starting or building up a level of support that, frankly, is not seen unless everybodys ###### or we are beating Man Utd 4-1

What about occasional airhorns/klaxon sounding instead (always used to help get the Blackburn End going when there was a lull in vocal support)?

Maybe the drummers are being made a scapegoat here for the current phase of lazy supporting / more passive spectating? The Riverside Rumble (from the old stand upper tier's wooden boards with accompanying hoading-rapping) used to be used to the same effect but was more spontaneous. That said, the drummers do impose limitations on the repertoire and how chants start and develop eg why is 'Come On You Blues' no longer sung (a coincidence it died out with the rise of the drumming)?

Perhaps it is the dilution effect of the support demographic behind the Blackburn End goal? Perhaps the relationship between fans 'with drink' and crowd atmosphere has not been fully researched ( at the Rovers v Newcastle VE Day fixture there was a huge number of home fans 'under the influence' and it figures top of everyones list of games for vocal support and atmosphere (OK, admittedly we had nigh on 30,000 on and were shortly to win the title!)).

Interesting to see that BRFC are picking up on the Improving Matchday Experience agenda item that BRISA's committee have touched on briefly in their analysis on Attendance issues. Other than ticket cost (initiatives around which now appear almost exhausted), it is one area that the club could do a lot more to help in improving (as opposed to stifling)...

Also instead of singing about footwear and stewards, how about getting back to basics (see sig below for a prime example)!! thumbs-up.gif

Can't a group of those who want to sing and chant have a word with the drummer?  Surely there could be a compromise somewhere instead of muttering and moaning and all could be accommodated?  ph34r.gif

386105[/snapback]

Maybe they can't get a word in edgeways with the buggers as they constantly bang the flipping things. I'd be surprised if they could hear you even if you did.

They should ship these fellas back to Africa and they can bang out the daily news on their tablas. Should keep 'em occupied.

I've been sat quite a few rows ahead of them before and the din has still been horrendous (Spurs last year), what it must be like if you're sat immediately in front, God only knows.

Sorry all, just giving my opinion, nevermind then.

Right, kick out the drummers and let's sit in silence for 90 minutes.

386365[/snapback]

But that won't happen though, will it? Something will fill the vacuum. Might take a bit of time but eventually people will start making a noise again. You might be able to hear the odd joke said 20 rows back again, you never know!

Catch 22 - unless the crowd starts singing on their own and shows they can make noise, there is a case for retaining the drummers. But the drummers stop any attempts to start up songs by blasting out their monotonous "tune".

up to the goal the crowd was emmbarrassingly silent again..we tried to get it going and the drummer just banged on ...we even sang you are my sunshine slowly and he battered the drum to that as well ...stuwilky looked over to us and peed his self laughing at them.

then last 15 minutes the crowd woke up and was loud....WE NEED THAT ATMOSPHERE EVERY GAME !!!!!!!

up to the goal the crowd was emmbarrassingly silent again..we tried to get it going and the drummer just banged on ...we even sang you are my sunshine slowly and he battered the drum to that as well ...stuwilky looked over to us and peed his self laughing at them.

then last 15 minutes the crowd woke up and was loud....WE NEED THAT ATMOSPHERE EVERY GAME !!!!!!!

386557[/snapback]

Next time junior comes Im gonna bring a drum for him, he'd be better that these numpties.

I told you to go and get the drum! You should do it next time!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.