SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sergio Peter

mark

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm...Depends what better is defined as.

There is no way he can leave his stamp on the game yet like MGP has been doing for us for well over a year.

But he has potential. Might become a better winger, but MGP is much more than a winger. He is a midfielder that scores goals, gives assists, has a lethal freekick and his set pieces are decent.

From what I've seen he seems to know which direction he's gotta go beat his man, as for better than Pedersen... come on, are you serious? He's still young and you got to remember players like Burton O'Brien - potential superstars who stopped improving at a substandard point. It's too early to expect anything from Sergio and not fair of us to put that kind of pressure upon him. The fact that Hughes and the coaching staff have spoken about him a lot, describing him as a quality and still improving player is enough for me.

He's worth getting excited over, but he's not even close to the standard Duff was at when we had him at the same age as Peter. As for comapring to MGP, MGP is a better all round player than Sergio at the moment, it may be a different matter in 24/36 months time.

He is a prospect, and that is good, but what intrests me more is that we are again bring youth through the system. With Mr. Walker no longer with us the youth system is extremly important to the club. The last players to really makei it into the team were Duff and Dunn and that is too long for a club in our situation. Hopfully we can start doing this on a more regular bases under Hughes and become the Ajax of England.

From what I've seen he could turn into a pretty decent winger. Not afraid to take people on, but not really got the tactical skills yet. Yesterday he seemed to have watched John Arne Riise a bit too much. The "kick the ball past the defender and run" trick doesn't work when the defender is faster than you...and when you've tried 2-3 times, you might want to try a different approach...

From what I've seen he could turn into a pretty decent winger. Not afraid to take people on, but not really got the tactical skills yet. Yesterday he seemed to have watched John Arne Riise a bit too much. The "kick the ball past the defender and run" trick doesn't work when the defender is faster than you...and when you've tried 2-3 times, you might want to try a different approach...

386828[/snapback]

Pretty much his only highlight on MOTD was his attempt to do that to their right back, and failing miserably laugh.gif

Is he something to get excited about? Yes and no in my opinion. It's exciting that youth players are breaking into the first team and not looking out of place. However, from what I've seen he's not going to be a world beater - he's going to be a good Premiership winger I feel, but nothing that sets the world on fire.

His crossing is very good and from a dead ball (corners, wide free kicks) I would say he is actually better than Ped (although not at direct free kicks).

He showed against Sunderland that he can beat a man too, but as pthers said he seemed to struggle with the pace of Arsenal's right back.

It looks like Hughes has commited himslef to giving Sergio an extended run. Putting MGP under pressure can only be a good thing too.

He's worth getting excited over, but he's not even close to the standard Duff was at when we had him at the same age as Peter. As for comapring to MGP, MGP is a better all round player than Sergio at the moment, it may be a different matter in 24/36 months time.

386773[/snapback]

I haven't seen anything of Peter yet but I do remember Duff's debut against Leicester- if he is being mentioned in the same breath as that debut performance of Duff's he is one heck of a prospect.

BUT

Cercle Bruge thought Peter was an arrogant piece of rubbish.

AND

The people talking up Peter are also the ones talking down MGP.

This makes me very deeply sceptical about Peter- hope I'm wrong on that count.

However, I doubt anyone can contradict me when I say that MGP is a rather limited winger but utterly exceptional goal scorer. I have seen MGP getting better and better since we signed him and I don't see any reason to think that he is incapable of improving his out field consistency and learn how to take a big whack and not disappear from a game.

If/when MGP goes, this message board will be full of comments moaning: "if MGP had been where Peter received the ball, it would have been smashed into the net."

Edited by philipl

Morten Gamst Pedersen is widely regarded as one of the best left wingers in the league this season and I agree with the majority on that - he's awesome, we are very lucky to have him! We wouldn't be within 6 places of our current position without him and I believe we'd probably be in a relegation dog-fight. Peter is worth getting excited about because he looks confident and that really helps young players and it also shows the clubs intentions with young prospects but he's not nearly as good as Pedersen at anything yet. Nor do I think he will be as good in two years because Pedersen is still improving too - in two years Pedersen could be absolutely awesome!

I haven't seen anything of Peter yet but I do remember Duff's debut against Leicester- if he is being mentioned in the same breath as that debut performance of Duff's he is one heck of a prospect.

BUT

AND

The people talking up Peter are also the ones talking down MGP.

This makes me very deeply sceptical about Peter- hope I'm wrong on that count.

However, I doubt anyone can contradict me when I say that MGP is a rather limited winger but utterly exceptional goal scorer. I have seen MGP getting better and better since we signed him and I don't see any reason to think that he is incapable of improving his out field consistency and learn how to take a big whack and not disappear from a game. 

If/when MGP goes, this message board will be full of comments moaning: "if MGP had been where Peter received the ball, it would have been smashed into the net."

386877[/snapback]

There are a lot of qualities I like about Pedersen, but few of those are what I require in a winger. He has little pace, at least not the burst required to get round a player and his crosses can leave a lot to be desired.

However, as stated he's an excellent goal scorer who has plenty of qualities that have made him a desired commodity. He can pick out that killer pass, he has a fabulous first touch, he's surprisingly good in the air and his direct free kicks are deadly. I'd be tempted to try him out in central (attacking) midfield - he certainly has the engine for it, and it'd keep keep him in the game more. Out on the left he's allowed to drift out of the game when he feels like it, something a team of our calibre can't afford.

Peter is probably the best Rovers player to have been sent to Cercle (which doesn't say a lot, I know) but as you say, his arrogance and injury problems meant he didn't exactly impress. Apparently, he made it clear that he was above playing for a club the size of Cercle.

And I have noticed that Mark Hughes has been very careful about not hyping Peter up. Almost every time he mentions him, Hughes refers to Peter's self-confidence (euphemism for arrogance maybe?) and emphasises he has still a lot to work on to improve his game.

I think this is the right approach from Hughes and hopefully we see the best of Sergio. It's useful to have him on the bench because he offers a different threat to Pedersen.

Peter certainly has a chance of making a prem player, but no more than that at the moment.

He will have learned more from the Arsenal game than from all his appearances put together. As long as he's humble enough to accept advice from the coaches and work on that, he'll become a better player.

What's excellent is that we have more than one option on the left wing. Compare that to under Souness. He is a different option and a good late substitute as he can get the ball in the box and run at the defenders.

I think the reason we are getting excited about Peter is that he is a flair player, who beats his man with confidence and is a conventional winger, which are quite hard to come by.

Bit harsh to say "compare that to under Souness". None of the players we have that can play left wing were signed by Hughes. Also, when Souness had us playing our best stuff we had Duff as first choice with Mahon as a decent back-up.

Well he's now probably in-line to start in one of our most important games of the season. We'll get to see just how much Hughes thinks of him or if someone like Emerton or Bentley will be stuck out on the left.

387095[/snapback]

what suprised me was that he decided to bring him on instead of Bentley on Saturday!

I've got a feeling he may use Emerton on Sunday more for his defensive qualities rather than Peter or Bentley. Or do other think Emerton has played his last game?

Peter never looked anything other than competely out of his depth against Arsenal. He's also the most one-footed player I've seen for a long time. Having said that, he has created chances from the left wing in previous games, most notably for Bellamy, and he is undoubtedly a prospect. None of us were impressed by Pedersen when he first arrived but Hughes & his staff have developed him into one of the Presmiership's most highly-rated left-sided midfielders. There's enough potential there not to rule out the possibility of them doing the same for Peter.

• 8 months later...

German-based Rovers fan, "Smithfan", on offish mboard, translated an interview with Sergio Peter conducted by German magazine Kicker. Who said Sergio was arrogant? :tu:

Kicker: In Bolton and Villa substituted, against West Ham 90 minutes. Are there already hints from Mark Hughes that you can play from the beginning on against ManU, Mr. Peter?

Peter: No, I think it will be a substitution again. And if it's necessary, I want to turn the match around too.

Kicker: You will encounter Cristiano Ronaldo and Gary Neville on your side. How do you want to stop them?

Peter: They must chase me!

kicker: You certainly seem to have a high self-confidence.

Peter: I've always been like that.

Kicker: So you were not in doubt when you left Germany with 14 and went to England?

Peter: Yes, I've thought about that 10 times. But I said to myself: If I want to become a star, I'll have to fight it out.

Kicker: Do you have a schedule when you want to become a starter?

Peter: I do everything for this. My contract lasts 1 1/2 years still.

Kicker: Is it your aim to stay in England in longterm or do you eye the Bundesliga?

Peter: My dream for the future is to become a superstar. I feel well but I don't count a return out. The Bundesliga is not bad.

Kicker: You played in some matches last year. Were you disappointed that you had to sit on the bench again?

Peter: Yes. But everytime I came in, I performed well.

Kicker: What do you have to improve?

Peter: I'm a good two-footed player, I shoot freekicks with the left on the goal. You can place me everywhere, I have potential.

Kicker: When you don't need to improve anything - why aren't you already a superstar like Wayne Rooney in your agegroup?

Peter: That also depends on the coach. If I have my way, he could give me a chance everytime.

Kicker: Does Mark Hughes talk to you regularly?

Peter: You can talk to him quite well, but I'm someone who doesn't like to talk. As long as he doesn't say anything, I know that everything's fine.

Kicker: Why didn't you get along in Cercle Brügge?

Peter: That's a Clown-club. I wasn't worse than those who played there. I went back to Blackburn, I fought it out and now I'm always part of the 16-squad in the Premier League. If someone wants to destroy me, he will need a long time to do it.

Kicker: The situation for Rovers is not the best. Your colleague Stephane Henchoz said a few weeks ago that it will improve in the next weeks. But it's still not really working...

Peter: We have to work hard to improve the situation. Our team is good, we proved that in the UEFA-Cup. But it's actually easier there than in the Premier League. Maybe we don't have enough veterans to cope with the situation better.

Kicker: What's going on with the U21-National team?

Peter: I was invited once but I had an injury at this time. I want to be part of the team in the future. And later, I want to knock at the A-National team's door.

Kicker: Coming back to the match against ManU on saturday: Which jersey do you want to get?

Peter: I've already talked to Cristiano Ronaldo and we have agreed that I get his jersey after the match.

i have seen from sergio that when he is playing and he don't get what he wants on the field he starts to whinge and complain. and as the match goes on you can tell by his body language that he is still thinking about those decisions that went against him, hence the almost red card at west ham. good potential and very promising but his temperament is bad and needs working on.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.