BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Should Dunny Have Come Home?

Should Dunny have come home?  

378 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have signed Dunn?

• Absolutely no way. The guy simply isn't fit enough for Premiership football
    • It's a big gamble, so probably not.
    • Sitting on the fence here.
    • Yes, even if he can't regain full fitness, the presence of a true roverite will lift everyone around the club.
    • Brilliant signing, he should never have left.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

It was in a few UK newspapers today. Click Here

Dunn has always seemed keen to return after souness' exit and with his contract coming to a close and brum paying out loads to fix his dodgy hamstring if he can prove his fitness he could be the answer the our problem on the flipside he could be in the stands even more than he is now.

It is being reported that Rovers made a transfer deadline day offer of £2m for David Dunn.

Assuming he stays fit and in form, I'd say it is inevitable he will be a Rovers player in January.

That's quite an assumption . All in all I'm glad we'll have to wait 'til January . £2m is too much at the moment .

No we shouldn't sign Dunn, the guy has never had a regular run of games for Birmingham or for us. His fitness has always been a problem and he done nothing for Birmingham, that would convince me that he is good enough to play in the Premiership in the near future. We don't have much money to spend in January and I'd hate to see us blow a lot of it on him.

We don't have much money to spend in January and I'd hate to see us blow a lot of it on him.

He would be in the last 6 months of his contract i believe and as so wouldn't be a lot of our budget.

It would be a risk but hughes wouldn't go for him if he didn't think he was good enough. Don't forget Hughes chopped jansen when he wasn't good enough and i have no doubt he holds very little sympathy and loyalty to Dunn!

People seem to be quick to judge Dunny's fitness - I've had a look on Birmingham's website and so far this season he's played in 5 of their 6 games as follows...

90 min

Came on after 68min

Came on after 58 min

90 min

Carling Cup - rested

90 min

Hopefully things are looking up for him - yes he's had well documented problems in the past but if he can carry on like this then maybe he can play his way into Hughes' thoughts...

Has Dunn even been playing well for Birmingham, when he has played? I think that this is something that Hughes would obviously have to think about, before even thinking about the remote possibility of re-signing him.

Edited by RoyRover

Dunn is clearly a good enough player for the Premiership when fit, how people suggest otherwise is baffling. More direct and aggressive than Bentley, two very quick feet and an eye for goal. Indeed he is an outstanding talent and would be a good signing.

However his temprement and fitness are both masively suspect. Bellamy, although troublesome, possessed a deep desire to win and push himself to the limit. Dunn rather appears to have little problem coasting along without stretching himself. I would be suprised if we offered anything like 2 mill for Dunn. 1 million would be justifiable, along with a contract of around 15k a week, as the loss would be containable should he fail to perform. Whether Dunn would fancy such a drop in wages is debateable.

If Dunn ever comes back to Rovers it should be under the following conditions :

(1) Only on a free

(2) With a zero signing on fee

(3) On a pay-as-you-play deal for the first 6 months, with the carrot of a 12 month incentive-based contract if he knuckles down and performs in those first 6 months.

That's the only way we'll find out how much he really wants to feature at the top level for this football club. Let's face it - he's meant to be a fan like the rest of us. And the rest of us would play for nowt if we could.

Has Dunn even been playing well for Birmingham, when he has played? I think that this is something that Hughes would obviously have to think about, before even thinking about the remote possibility of re-signing him.

For me Dunn is more than capable of playing in the top flight abiltiy wise. That is not in doubt.

However, what is in doubt is his fitness.

He has to prove that between now and January by spending time on the pitch and not in the treatment room.

If he does, buy him.

For me Dunn is more than capable of playing in the top flight abiltiy wise. That is not in doubt.

However, what is in doubt is his fitness.

He has to prove that between now and January by spending time on the pitch and not in the treatment room.

If he does, buy him.

Yeah but if he isn't playing well for Birmingham, why would we want to sign him?

I've always been a big David Dunn fan, there were times when he was one of the few players who gave us hope of a brighter future. I'd love to see him play for Rovers again BUT we have to be realistic, since he left has there been any reason to miss him? Frankly no, he's not made any headlines with Big Club. I'm with Tris, if Dunny wants to come home he has to prove himself on the pitch and the club should not make his life comfortable by offering anything other than a pay-as-you-play deal. I'd be very wary of Hughes making this signing, it's about on par with Jeffers - a big risk.

I've always been a big David Dunn fan, there were times when he was one of the few players who gave us hope of a brighter future. I'd love to see him play for Rovers again BUT we have to be realistic, since he left has there been any reason to miss him? Frankly no, he's not made any headlines with Big Club. I'm with Tris, if Dunny wants to come home he has to prove himself on the pitch and the club should not make his life comfortable by offering anything other than a pay-as-you-play deal. I'd be very wary of Hughes making this signing, it's about on par with Jeffers - a big risk.

He hasnt done anything at Big Club because he has been injured all the time. If he can get passed the injury and get himself fit then I think he would be more than welcome back.

On saying this though. With his injuries, I think Big Club have a cheek to ask for more than 2m - though with our history with them they would probably do everthing they can to screw us over.

Despite the Dunn of old (the good one) being exactly what we are looking for in midfield it didn't really make any sense for him to move anywhere during this transfer window.

Big club are looking to come straight back up and are hardly going to offload one of there most talented players for next to nothing. At the same time we weren't going to pay up for him (don't believe £2m stories in the slightest) when he's such a big gamble and is no doubt on big wages. Even from his perspective he's better off regaining fitness and form in a good team in a weaker division.

Come Jan, if he's playing out of his skin, injury free, expect a host of clubs to come bidding for him whilst Brum wave a swanky new contract at him. If he's done nothing then I expect that a pay as you play deal will be the best thing he can hope to get.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.