BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Should Dunny Have Come Home?

Should Dunny have come home?  

378 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have signed Dunn?

• Absolutely no way. The guy simply isn't fit enough for Premiership football
    • It's a big gamble, so probably not.
    • Sitting on the fence here.
    • Yes, even if he can't regain full fitness, the presence of a true roverite will lift everyone around the club.
    • Brilliant signing, he should never have left.

Dunny may find himself in the next few weeks or so getting fitter and fitter with a point of putting him firmly in Rovers sights however I dont see him moving until right up to the end of January as brum become desperate for cash for him.

500k on him is not a waste of money, its one place in the Premiership and I dont see it as a gamble, twinning him with Tugay may prove very valuable for Rovers.

I have had a bit of a think about this and I have to say I am a little confused as to where we could play Dave. As an attacking midifelder he can only really, in a 442, play out wide unless we get in a proper holding midfielder. He can't do the Tugay thing of sitting deep, so in the middle Savage or Reid would have to be willing to play deeper which, in turn, reduce their effectiveness.

With Bentley having the Right wing stiched up and Mokoena playing so poorly the only way I can see Dunnie breaking into the side is through a spot on the left or having a crack as the second striker up front. He has shown he can do both.

I would put money on him, if he does come, being used as a utility player on the bench rather than a starting player, even in the injury crisis we are in at the moment. And if we really can get him for 500k-£1m he would be ideal to bring on to cause problems in the last half hour.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would put money on him, if he does come, being used as a utility player on the bench rather than a starting player, even in the injury crisis we are in at the moment. And if we really can get him for 500k-£1m he would be ideal to bring on to cause problems in the last half hour.

I would agree - can't see him currently displacing Savage or Tugay, or Reid when fit. However - I am sure that Hughes will see him as additional cover for midfield (which we desperately need) - and worth a gamble - if he can recapture the form of his youth he would grace far bigger teams than Rovers. For me a pairing of Reid and Dunn (in the future) would have considerable promise - with Reid making up for Dunns lack of pace, and Dunn providing some imagination to our attacks.

Is this the same Tugay you have been saying is past it for (at least) the last few years?

yes I have had a negative view on him previously but if you reread my last posts on him I have been more than impressed by his performances, I do, hoever, ramin sceptical at him playing football with his invisible friend who gladly hasnt been on the same pitch as him so far this season :P

Sort of related. Does anyone think we should try and loan Jon Obi Mikel from Chelsea in January? Apparantly he's fallen out with Mourinho due to his poor attitude in training - and he hasn't been in the Chelsea squad since being sent off on his debut. I know we don't want players with poor attitude in training - but it'd give him a chance to show Mourinho what he could do - so he'd have to perform well for us. Mourinho claimed him to be one of the worlds best young players when he signed him - I think he could do a job for us in the short-term.

Sort of related. Does anyone think we should try and loan Jon Obi Mikel from Chelsea in January?

Definitely...they accepted my loan offer from Rovers on FM anyway!!

But no seriously I think your right, players such as Obi Mikel and SWP will surely have to leave at least on loan as they appear to be nowhere near the first eleven right now.

Sort of related. Does anyone think we should try and loan Jon Obi Mikel from Chelsea in January? Apparantly he's fallen out with Mourinho due to his poor attitude in training - and he hasn't been in the Chelsea squad since being sent off on his debut. I know we don't want players with poor attitude in training - but it'd give him a chance to show Mourinho what he could do - so he'd have to perform well for us. Mourinho claimed him to be one of the worlds best young players when he signed him - I think he could do a job for us in the short-term.

The report also said he had appalling timekeeping and surrounded himself with an entourage of "friends". Sounds perfect ;);)

Separately Bruce at Big Club is reported saying that he accepts that he might have to let Dunn go - only 18 months left on his contract and they might need to sell to get some value from him.

Edited by only2garners

Separately Bruce at Big Club is reported saying that he accepts that he might have to let Dunn go - only 18 months left on his contract and they might need to sell to get some value from him.

BCFC Profile, again he only 6 months left on his contract. Unless they have a year extra suddenly?

Joined on a 4 year deal in 2003 :rover: so its either £1m (probably less than) in january or bye bye for free in the summer.

Six months contract on a pay-as-you-play basis, with the possibility of say a 2 year extension with pay on a weekly basis. Then, if he is constantly injured this season, we don't suffer wasted wages and we can dump him in May, and if he doesn't get injured he can earn a half decent contract.

i would love to see dunn back at ewood, it maybe a million pound gamble with his injury problems but he does have talent when fit.

he's a local lad, can play positions accross the midfield and wouldn't be cup tied for the u.e.f.a. cup.

i was well gutted when souness sold him, hughes bring him home.

i would love to see dunn back at ewood, it maybe a million pound gamble with his injury problems but he does have talent when fit.

he's a local lad, can play positions accross the midfield and wouldn't be cup tied for the u.e.f.a. cup.

i was well gutted when souness sold him, hughes bring him home.

What has that got to do with anything? The only things that have any relevance are:

1) Is he good enough for the intended role?

2) Is he fit enough?

3) Is his attitude right?

Fife Rover........

1) From his past with Rovers and being on the verge of the full England team the answer must be yes.

2) Only he really knows.

3) I believe a return to his home town club will motivate and encourage him...he never really wanted to move.

I would personally be tempted to take the gamble on him at 1 Million ....god knows we made a good profit with his sale to Birmingham.I would hazard a guess that the reaction to his possible return to Ewood would be very positive from the fans and may even tempt a few back into the fold.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

No thanks, he's a disaster waiting to happen. Actually, he's a disaster happened. Bad attitude, poor advisors, not the kind of person we want.

Don't see that, Aggy. His life is football (possibly also the two P's, Pie's and Pints) and he wouldn't just fake an injury to NOT play for Birmingham, especially given the injury record he has. That doesn't mean he can't work harder to keep himself fit though, and better training will prevent injuries..

Fife Rover........

1) From his past with Rovers and being on the verge of the full England team the answer must be yes.

Gray and Jeffers have been as much a part of the England team as Dunn has, it was so long ago now that we can't really go along with that reasoning. Michael Ricketts would potentially be worth a £1 million gamble on that basis.

As others have pointed out, I'm not really sure how Dunn would fit into our team. I think his best bet would be playing in either Bentley's or Pedersen's role, the fact that niether are playing as wingers, instead being given the freedom to drift inside, would suit Dunn perfectly. If he was fit he'd certainly be a better option than Pedersen at the moment.

He's definitely not the answer the central problems we have though, especially as a Tugay replacement. You only have to watch Tugay's position in the first half to realise that they play entirely different roles. There just isn't a role in central midfield for players like Dunn anymore, unless it's part of a five (or a narrow diamond at a push). Even world class players like Paul Scholes have had to adapt because of this, he's playing twenty yards deeper this season than he used to.

£1 million is the absolute maximum we should be willing to gamble on him if it is something we're thinking about, an alternative to our wide players just isn't high enough on the priority list at present to justify anything more.

Rovers are reported to be watching Jason Koumas as an alternative for this January if Dunny does not pass the medical.

If Hughes were to go after Koumas I'm suprised that he didn't do it when he was having his problems at WBA. After all hughes would know all about the guy.

Edited by Somerset Rover!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.