BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Should Dunny Have Come Home?

Should Dunny have come home?  

378 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have signed Dunn?

• Absolutely no way. The guy simply isn't fit enough for Premiership football
    • It's a big gamble, so probably not.
    • Sitting on the fence here.
    • Yes, even if he can't regain full fitness, the presence of a true roverite will lift everyone around the club.
    • Brilliant signing, he should never have left.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the majority of fans on brfcs including myself want dunny back, cheap wages, cheap fee, blackburn lad, increase of attendences at ewood is possible, on his day a top english midfielder who can play anywhere accross the midfield 4, the only negative is his injury concerns which are going to be checked out by the rovers medical staff before any desicion is made.

maybe the mods should put up a poll and let the votes decide?

If Dunn ever comes back to Rovers it should be under the following conditions :

(1) Only on a free

(2) With a zero signing on fee

(3) On a pay-as-you-play deal for the first 6 months, with the carrot of a 12 month incentive-based contract if he knuckles down and performs in those first 6 months.

That's the only way we'll find out how much he really wants to feature at the top level for this football club. Let's face it - he's meant to be a fan like the rest of us. And the rest of us would play for nowt if we could.

As this signing apparently gets ever closer I totally stand by what I posted above 3 months ago.

And if it does happen, Rovers must make the terms very public, so the fans are absolutely clear that the damaged goods have arrived for free and are earning nothing until they perform.

46 league starts in 3 years is abysmal and he looked fatter than ever sitting down next to Santa on the TV yesterday - he even made a joke about it.

It's never going to improve - he's simply looking to be paid a wage to live closer to his daughter and his mates and avoid the M6 traffic.

NO wages and NO sum tcj - then there's no risk.

This is looking more and more likely by the day. All we need now is a public on the fence comment from Bruce and we'll have the full set.

I'm well behind the idea, he's undoubtedly a great player, maybe he'll take to his home-coming in a Fowler-esque way.

As this signing apparently gets ever closer I totally stand by what I posted above 3 months ago.

Well you would, wouldn't you- as the person most invested in his NOT coming back. Get used to it. He is coming back. For money and on a wage, and I am delighted.

It'll be nice having him REALLY back at the club- as opposed to just attending every game.

Well you would, wouldn't you- as the person most invested in his NOT coming back. Get used to it. He is coming back. For money and on a wage, and I am delighted.

It'll be nice having him REALLY back at the club- as opposed to just attending every game.

I don't have any ulterior motives on this one!

If he comes back - for nothing - and earns only when he plays, plays well and helps us, I will be utterly delighted.

If he comes back for a fee I will not be delighted at all because we cannot waste money on such a risk.

greggyk might have hit the nail on the head - the chances of him passing a medical must be less than 50/50.

Unlike some, Dunny is a true supporter. He'll be back- as soon as he can. Definitely in June, but in January if he possibly can.

And it wasn't good business. He'd have been fit a lot more for us than he has been for Brum- there's no doubt. He's honing his fitness for us now- it hasn't mattered to him until he can come home. Maybe it is unprofessional but he doesn't care about Brum.

Oh - and Jan????

What happened to him "honing his fitness for us now" - since you posted that comment 95 days ago, Dunn has played in 1 cup and 3 league games - two of which Brum lost!!

Now he's posing on TV with Santa and joking about mince pies!!

What's he going to be like when he's back in the pubs and clubs of Harwood and Blackburn NOT honing his fitness?!

Oh - and Jan????

What happened to him "honing his fitness for us now" - since you posted that comment 95 days ago, Dunn has played in 1 cup and 3 league games - two of which Brum lost!!

What's he going to be like when he's back in the pubs and clubs of Harwood and Blackburn NOT honing his fitness?!

Sad, sad, sad!

I don't have any ulterior motives on this one!

If he comes back - for nothing - and earns only when he plays, plays well and helps us, I will be utterly delighted.

If he comes back for a fee I will not be delighted at all because we cannot waste money on such a risk.

greggyk might have hit the nail on the head - the chances of him passing a medical must be less than 50/50.

We would not get him for nothing and earnng nothing except when he plays. He would go to a different club.

Clearly we have to pay a fee and pay him a wage, that is the way the world works. Both are massively reduced and, IMO, represent good value. he is a high quality creative player, name another player of his standard we could hope to sign for around a millionquid, perhaps less?

It's a gamble lke bellamy.

46 league starts in 3 years is abysmal and he looked fatter than ever sitting down next to Santa on the TV yesterday - he even made a joke about it.

He didn't look fat at all, in fact I thought he looked quite trim.

Time will tell but I'd be delighted to have him back.

We would not get him for nothing and earnng nothing except when he plays. He would go to a different club.

Clearly we have to pay a fee and pay him a wage, that is the way the world works. Both are massively reduced and, IMO, represent good value. he is a high quality creative player, name another player of his standard we could hope to sign for around a millionquid, perhaps less?

It's a gamble lke bellamy.

He's free in the summer, so why pay any fee now for an injured player?

And why offer any wage when other players in similar situations who have ambition to prove themselves at the top level accept deals which rewards them only for appearance and performance?

If he wants to come back to Rovers then he would accept those terms - he's a fan after all.

Scotty - you need to adjust the settings on your TV. He did not look trim in the slightest.

If he wants to come back to Rovers then he would accept those terms - he's a fan after all.

You cannot exploit him because he is a fan. While he has a passion for blackburn rovers he is not going to work for a club for nothing, just as you would not work for nothing. It is entirely reasonable for him to expect a wage at his market level (as said massively reduced at present), if we don't offer it to him someone else will and he is entitled to take it.

while a crock and so forth he is clearly a very talented player so there a number of clubs who will be interested at a low price which is the case at the moment.

Sad, sad, sad!

Yes that IS exactly what it will be if Rovers take the risk of signing Dunn back and then he lets the club and himself down by not accepting IN FULL the responsibilities of a professional footballer. Namely the requirement to keep himself fully fit in so far as it is in his power to do so at ALL times, and which obviously includes his leisure time activities as well as his training and match time activities. This is something that in his career so far it seems he is quite incapable of doing. In short his lifestyle so far has been more that of a good-time playboy than that of a dedicated professional footballer.

Edited by Fife Rover

You cannot exploit him because he is a fan. While he has a passion for blackburn rovers he is not going to work for a club for nothing, just as you would not work for nothing. It is entirely reasonable for him to expect a wage at his market level (as said massively reduced at present), if we don't offer it to him someone else will and he is entitled to take it.

while a crock and so forth he is clearly a very talented player so there a number of clubs who will be interested at a low price which is the case at the moment.

His market level wage right now IS zero.

He is injured and will be free in 5 months time. No well run club at any level will pay a fee and a wage just now.

If Brum decide to cut their losses and waive the fee this Jan then Bolton might offer him a grand a week. Maybe Leeds or Stoke at a stretch. If Brum do that, I'd actually hope he'd choose to come back to us on our terms, not in an auction.

That hardly amounts to "a number" of clubs who would be interested - please list them - and name your sources - if you know different.

Edited by Tris

Tell me if I'm wrong, but isn't there speculation that the fee is merely 250k - 500k? Now, that is in the region of 1/24 - 1/12 of what we received for Bellamy, which as yet hasn't been spent. If we end up buying him in January and his input gains us just one position in the table, then he will have made up the innitial outlay. If his wages are pay-as-you-play, then there has been no money wasted there.

I just don't see this as much of a risk at all, Tris. 500k is virtually nothing.

Edited by tcj_jones

Tell me if I'm wrong, but isn't there speculation that the fee is merely 250k - 500k? Now, that is in the region of 1/24 - 1/12 of what we received for Bellamy, which as yet hasn't been spent. If we end up buying him in January and his input gains us just one position in the table, then he will have made up the innitial outlay. If his wages are pay-as-you-play, then there has been no money wasted there.

I just don't see this as much of a risk at all, Tris. 500k is virtually nothing.

In response to my post (on the gate debate thread) about Boro tickets being 15 quid all round next Saturday, there was a barrage of responses saying it was a crap pricing ruse for a crap game.

It's almost uniform that 36 quid for Liverpool in the BBE is far too much.

But £500,000 is virtually nothing??

Well it's Ewood well over capacity at £15 a seat - we'd need to sell 33,000 adult seats.

It's 14,000 paying fans at £36 - more than we can draw for European games where ST holders pay less than a tenner.

£500,000 is massive money for a club with our turnover competing against other Premier League clubs.

This Dunn thing is so simple it's not true. He will be free in the summer - not "virtually nothing" - totally free.

He is currently injured - and hasn't been match fit for years. And we don't need a midfield player this January.

Tugay, Savage, Bentley, MGP, Mokoena, Peter, Emerton and Gallagher have all played in midfield this season, and when Reid comes back that's 9 for 4 places.

Why spend ANY cash on bringing in an injured player to make that a 10 into 4 problem??? Especially when that same player is free in 5 months?

Tris, I was doing the same sums. £13 a head I seem to remember being quoted a while ago as the average admission price (taking into account juniors, seniors etc). So £500k is the income the club get from TWO home games. And remember we don't clear that amount - there's all the matchday costs, not to mention various wages of course.

From a transfer market viewpoint maybe £500k isn't earth shattering. But in the grand scheme of things blue and white, IMHO it's 5 times what we can risk on pie boy.

Oh - and Jan????

Most sources on the matter tend to suggest that Rovers and Brum have agreed as part of the deal Dunn will not play for the bluenoses again.

Just what is your problem with Dunn? It must be personal and can't be based on any rational footballing criteria.

Potentially top class midfielder, still of prime age for a million or less on low wages and probably pay as you play incentives. Very low risk.

I can't remember exactly what you said when Jeffers signed but I'm sure you took exactly the same stance in reverse about it being a particularly astute piece of business by JW and MH.

I didn't agree with that but in both instances it's a relatively low risk strategy if things go belly (no pun intended in Dunn's case) up. :tu:

And we don't need a midfield player this January.

Tugay, Savage, Bentley, MGP, Mokoena, Peter, Emerton and Gallagher have all played in midfield this season, and when Reid comes back that's 9 for 4 places.

Why spend ANY cash on bringing in an injured player to make that a 10 into 4 problem??? Especially when that same player is free in 5 months?

Out of the nine you mention only three (Savage Tugay and Reid) can successfully play in the centre of a midfield four. And one of those (Reid) is currently injured leaving us with two viable central midfielders. I'd argue we need Dunn plus one other midfielder in the window given the former's dodgy injury record.

As regards the cash involved, no good bringing him in for free in the summer and saving 500k to 1m in the process having already seen 35m quids worth of Sky money disappear down the swanney if we are relegated.

Plus the reputed fee is less than half that received for the Honey Monster. So it 's not going to kill us.

This is a waste of time if people don't actually read what's been posted. I would be delighted if Dunn arrives on a free and does well. But not for any cash.

Most sources on the matter tend to suggest that Rovers and Brum have agreed as part of the deal Dunn will not play for the bluenoses again.

What since October?

Just what is your problem with Dunn? It must be personal and can't be based on any rational footballing criteria.

Not at all. It's based on his inability to play for more than 30% of any season.

Potentially top class midfielder, still of prime age for a million or less on low wages and probably pay as you play incentives. Very low risk.

Of prime age but never in prime condition during the last 4 years. A million!! You're throwing our money away. Massive risk.

I can't remember exactly what you said when Jeffers signed but I'm sure you took exactly the same stance in reverse about it being a particularly astute piece of business by JW and MH.

Don't put words into my mouth as I made no comment at the time. However, there was NO FEE.

I didn't agree with that but in both instances it's a relatively low risk strategy if things go belly (no pun intended in Dunn's case) up. :tu:

Out of the nine you mention only three (Savage Tugay and Reid) can successfully play in the centre of a midfield four. And one of those (Reid) is currently injured leaving us with two viable central midfielders. I'd argue we need Dunn plus one other midfielder in the window given the former's dodgy injury record.

Bentley has looked OK in centre mid, and Hughes has offered Mokoena a new deal. You may not like that, but it's a fact. And Reid is not far away. We can't afford passengers like Dunn.

As regards the cash involved, no good bringing him in for free in the summer and saving 500k to 1m in the process having already seen 35m quids worth of Sky money disappear down the swanney if we are relegated.

If you think an injured David Dunn is going to make the crucial difference to our season, you've totally lost the plot.

Plus the reputed fee is less than half that received for the Honey Monster. So it 's not going to kill us.

There should be no fee. End of story. Free - YES. Waste cash - NO.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.