BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Should Dunny Have Come Home?

Should Dunny have come home?  

378 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have signed Dunn?

• Absolutely no way. The guy simply isn't fit enough for Premiership football
    • It's a big gamble, so probably not.
    • Sitting on the fence here.
    • Yes, even if he can't regain full fitness, the presence of a true roverite will lift everyone around the club.
    • Brilliant signing, he should never have left.

What he said..  However if Hughes does sign him I will not be complaining.

387625[/snapback]

Enough said, really. I'm sure if he signs, no one here will be complaining - because he'll be a success! If he doesn't sign, few of us will be complaining - because he's not good enough/fit enough.

Simple as that wink.gif

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He wont sign because luckily, unlike the majority of posters in this therad, Hughes lives firmly on planet earth and not cloud cuckoo land.

Some of the comments im reading are so naive its untrue. "If he regains fitness" they say!! Has the penny not dropped yet or what? He 'regains fitness' hundreds of times and then promptly breaks down again after 2 or 3 games. IMO he's finished but thats irrelevant.

He could show 100 per cent for a medical at Rovers and two weeks later be out for 3 months, then he'll come back play 2 and bam, 3 months out again.

He has played hardly any games since he has gone there. He is not the player you all remember, can't you get that through? I know he's rovers but that is no reason to sign him. maybe they should be looking at all of us eh??

If we sign him i'll be really fuming because it would signal a huge step backwards in terms of the squad mentality IMO. bellamy might be a mouth but he takes his football VERY seriously. they are the kind of 'troublesome' players who are worth the risk. Not 'can't be arsed' pissheads.

As a few have said, Souness was bang on regards this one. Best bit of business we ever did.

Leave the past in the past and lets move on.

Blueboy, I don't think Hughes will look at it like that.

If Dunn makes it known that he is willing to come then Sparky will, of course, give him a once over rather than discarding it out of hand.

If we were shy of players subceptible to injury we would not of signed Bellamy.

I agree he is probably not Sparky's ideal type of character generally, but I also think the manager will judge it on the merits of the situation in the summer.

THere are a huge number of variables- how many games he manages until the end of the season, whether Brum go down, how much cash he would be looking for a week, how much cash Brum are looking for, the results of a medical.

Hughes is not daft. A fully fit Dunn would offer a massive new option to Rovers that we would not have unless Bentley comes on. He is a very good player potentilly available on the cheap. Signing him would make Hughes a popular man indeed too (although this should never be a factor in the decision itself).

It would be madness to not consider it. However I do agree that him coming back is unlikely.

"Shy of players subceptible to injury" and signing those who's careers are constantly plagued by injury so they play only a handful of matches a year isn't quite the same thing.

I don't think a "fully fit" Dunn exists.

We are embroiled in a £5m action with reluctant insurers in the high court at the minute over apparently buying a crock in the past. Signing Dunny would be like sticking your hand in the flames and getting burnt and then doing it again!........ Would we be able to insure him? And do we really need to give history a chance to repeat itself?

Any 'risk' associated with Dunn returning to Ewood could be mitigated by the type of contract he would be offered.

If DD is keen enough and the signing suited Sparky's plans, why not?

As RotR puts it,

<Got to trust Hughes' judgement though I suppose, he hasn't let us down yet.>

If Mark Hughes wants Dunny back then he will have to fit in with the current team ethos and fitness.Otherwise too much at stake.

Meanwhile passionate fans want him back cos he was one of the 3 jewels in the crown...we miss Duffers and think he is wasted at Chelski....we are wrecked by Jansen ruining his career himself...and Dunny was part of Souey's man-management failures.

I do not think he will come back- only Big Col and Herring have been successful returners and there have not been many others(Byrom,Pickering,Bob Crompton as Manager)The Board don't usually like em back.

Going back to JW statement on the future shape of the club, I'd say Dunn is one of the few players around who (when fit and motivated) is both undoubtedly better than the first team squad and likely to be available at an affordable deal for Rovers.

The way Sparky is handling the club, we could sign Best and Maradonna and there wouldn't be a squeak out of place from either of them.

Do we want Dunn back? No thanks!!

Who would he replace in the team?

387848[/snapback]

He would quite easily fit in on the right or as a supporting striker in the hole. The latter would be more likely, but it would have to be weighed up against the relative merits of signing a geniuine striker or, indeed, just using Bentley there.

He would also provide cover on the left and allow us to switch to a 451.

One place he could not play is in central midfield, not unless we signed a Parker/Hamann kind of sitting defensive player, and that ain't going to happen because we have Robbie and Stevie.

To all of the revisionists out there- read and actually remember.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtm...24/sfgbla25.xml

Fortunately Hughes was playing with Dunn in midfield that day so actually KNOWS what he can do rather than rely on jealousy, hazy rememberances and belief in downright lies

Ps- it's just made me cry

Edited by Jan

Fortunately Hughes was playing with Dunn in midfield that day so actually KNOWS what he can do rather than rely on jealousy, hazy rememberances and belief in downright lies

388101[/snapback]

Maybe you haven't spotted the slight flaw in your misty eyed ramblings.....

That article is from 4 YEARS AGO!!!!

Nobody is disputing that Dunny WAS once a great player, he just isn't any more. Pull up some Gazza reports from Italia 90 and we'll all get the kleenex out. Still doesn't make him good enough to play for Rovers RIGHT NOW does it??

In fact, Dunn has done very very little from that day til this. His career is gone, get used to it. All he will ever be now is a bit part player wherever he is because his body is ravaged by injury. This is made 100 fold worse by the fact that he doesn't look after himslef and live the life that a professional athlete should.

If we are to become a consistent european challenging team we need a squad of fit hungry players who are available every week. Dunn is about as far away from that ideal as you can get.

Leave the nostalgia for the photo albums and lets sign up some players who can make a REAL difference instead of looking at an injury prone token 'local lad done good'.

Im into results not fairytales.

Absolutely definitely NOT.

Dunn is a crock and has been for several years now. Its not just the fee you have to consider but wages also. I believe his Birmingham contract is approx 40k per week so he isnt going to accept much of a drop, if any, is he??

2 million pounds a yeasr for a player who will offer little or nothing is VERY bad business for a club with our delicate financial situation. All monies must be spent extremely wisely.

Hughes is no mug and I dont think he would have any interest in Dunny whatsoever.

386818[/snapback]

This is the mentalist thread ever.

I cant even believev the Birmingham fans are discussing it, like they'd be losing a key player or something.

INJURED PLAYERS ARE NO USE TO ANYONE.

Dunny is the biggest crock in the Premiership and we I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.

He is always injured yet he is always out on the pop. See any connection? He is totally unprofessional and Birmingham are more than welcome to continue picking up his 40k a week tab until the end of his ridiculous contract. All the best to the mugs.

387387[/snapback]

No, no it wouldn't. ANYTHING we offered him would be a complete waste. We have a small enough squad as it is without wasting what little money we have on injury prone wasters. He WAS a great player. He hasn't been for a good few years though. Maybe we should bring back Ripley and Wilcos whilst we're at it eh??

Leave the past in the past.

What we need are more fit, hungry, ambitious players and I have no doubt that Hughes knows that.

Say what you want about players of yesteryear drinking it is irrelevant. Players of today look after their bodies better than ever and Dunn really needs to learn that.

You get out what you put in and as far as im concerned he is more interested in beer birds and motors than football.

They can keep him thankyou very much.

Theereis a good spirit at Rovers now, a real ogetherness. everyone knows their role and everyone works hard. bringing in characters like Dunn will just throw all that into jeapordy. I really cant understand so many of you entertaining the idea.

387419[/snapback]

He wont sign because luckily, unlike the majority of posters in this therad, Hughes lives firmly on planet earth and not cloud cuckoo land.

Some of the comments im reading are so naive its untrue. "If he regains fitness" they say!! Has the penny not dropped yet or what? He 'regains fitness' hundreds of times and then promptly breaks down again after 2 or 3 games. IMO he's finished but thats irrelevant.

He could show 100 per cent for a medical at Rovers and two weeks later be out for 3 months, then he'll come back play 2 and bam, 3 months out again.

He has played hardly any games since he has gone there. He is not the player you all remember, can't you get that through? I know he's rovers but that is no reason to sign him. maybe they should be looking at all of us eh??

If we sign him i'll be really fuming because it would signal a huge step backwards in terms of the squad mentality IMO. bellamy might be a mouth but he takes his football VERY seriously. they are the kind of 'troublesome' players who are worth the risk. Not 'can't be arsed' pissheads.

As a few have said, Souness was bang on regards this one. Best bit of business we ever did.

Leave the past in the past and lets move on.

387668[/snapback]

Maybe you haven't spotted the slight flaw in your misty eyed ramblings.....

That article is from 4 YEARS AGO!!!!

Nobody is disputing that Dunny WAS once a great player, he just isn't any more. Pull up some Gazza reports from Italia 90 and we'll all get the kleenex out. Still doesn't make him good enough to play for Rovers RIGHT NOW does it??

In fact, Dunn has done very very little from that day til this. His career is gone, get used to it. All he will ever be now is a bit part player wherever he is because his body is ravaged by injury. This is made 100 fold worse by the fact that he doesn't look after himslef and live the life that a professional athlete should.

If we are to become a consistent european challenging team we need a squad of fit hungry players who are available every week. Dunn is about as far away from that ideal as you can get.

Leave the nostalgia for the photo albums and lets sign up some players who can make a REAL difference instead of looking at an injury prone token 'local lad done good'.

388107[/snapback]

That's enough mincing about blueboy, just come out with it and make your position clear.

Are you saying we should put a cheeky bid in for him?

That's enough mincing about blueboy, just come out with it and make your position clear.

Are you saying we should put a cheeky bid in for him?

388108[/snapback]

I'd guess Dunny stole his girlfriend. (Or was once a friend and maybe grew out of it).

388107[/snapback]

Quite harsh, really. If Dunn could be rehabilitated - and there's only one way to find out if that's possible - it would be the best thing Hughes could possibly do for most Rovers supporters.

Just because the guy has been unlucky with injuries and fell foul of Souness, doesn't mean you should write him off. Maybe an progressive, intelligent, sympathetic manager like Hughes is what he needs. And if not Hughes, would you be happy to see Dunn rediscover his career at Bolton?

I'd have him back if he could prove his fitness - which is clearly a big ask. That's if Big Club want to sell, and that's if Mark Hughes rates him, and that's if we have the funds to buy him and of course that's if Dunn wants to leave the Big Club and come back.

388101[/snapback]

Thanks Jan, great read.

Ironic that we play Spuds on Sunday as well.

If Mark Hughes wants Dunny back then he will have to fit in with the current team ethos and fitness.Otherwise too much at stake.

Meanwhile passionate fans want him back cos he was one of the 3 jewels in the crown...we miss Duffers and think he is wasted at Chelski....we are wrecked by Jansen ruining his career himself...and Dunny was part of Souey's man-management failures.

I do not think he will come back- only Big Col and Herring have been successful returners and there have not been many others(Byrom,Pickering,Bob Crompton as Manager)The Board don't usually like em back.

387834[/snapback]

Both Byrom and Pickering were abject failures when they came back to Rovers. If you want confirmation of that look it up in any of the various Rovers History books, or better still ask any poster on here who was around at the time!

Edited by Fife Rover

Are you accusing somebody else of having an agenda?

388115[/snapback]

'fraid not.

Nothing against him personally, if I were in his position I would probably lead the same unprofessional lifestyle, if not worse. Id be a real #### with it aswell.

I just dont want him for the reasons I have stated. Its real life not Football Manager. All he would be is a huge cash drain on our already tight resources.

If that makes me look to have an agenda in some way the so be it.

What he said..  However if Hughes does sign him I will not be complaining.

387625[/snapback]

Enough said, really. I'm sure if he signs, no one here will be complaining - because he'll be a success! If he doesn't sign, few of us will be complaining - because he's not good enough/fit enough.

Simple as that wink.gif

387627[/snapback]

This is where the debate should begin and end. I'd personally like to have him back, but I'll trust Hughes' judgment either way--he's earned at least that much from us. I just hope the speculation dies until summer comes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.