BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Should Dunny Have Come Home?

Should Dunny have come home?  

378 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have signed Dunn?

• Absolutely no way. The guy simply isn't fit enough for Premiership football
    • It's a big gamble, so probably not.
    • Sitting on the fence here.
    • Yes, even if he can't regain full fitness, the presence of a true roverite will lift everyone around the club.
    • Brilliant signing, he should never have left.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I just cannot share the excitment that other Rovers fans have about this signing.

I really really hope he does well and when he played for Rovers in Division One I throught he was an excellent player but I cannot help thinking this is a sidewards move. I remember having to heathed discussions with Scotty in the summer about David Dunn and my opinion was that we should be looking elsewhere.

I hope he makes me eat my words and ends up playing in the majority of he games till the end of the season and has a cracking 3 1/2 years at Blackburn.

Will he be able to play in the UEFA cup?

Edited by Jordan

Right I don't want to spoil the party but judging by the poll there is an awful lot of blind optimism on here at the moment. So just to inject a touch of reallity does anyone want to speculate as to where he will play and who we should drop?

1. I've never seen anything in him to suggest that he can replace Tugay as a playmaker (although this may indeed turn out to be his future given his physique).

2. Savage?..... No way Sav beats the drum and covers more ground and closes more players down and breaks opponants moves up more in one match than Dunny will do in four. He's a getter and giver. Dunne isn't suited to that role simple as.

3. Bentley? Pederson? Didn't he fall out with GS cos he wouldn't play wide midfield? Anyway does he have the pace or lungs for it?

So imo

4. That just about leaves him to play the point of a 5 man midfield just behind a lone striker. The role in fact that Rooney and in the past Scholes have played for MU (and a place that Sparky occupied at times too).

But that does mean playing with just one striker! A point that might make many of our 4-4-2 purists cough a little.

Right I don't want to spoil the party but judging by the poll there is an awful lot of blind optimism on here at the moment. So just to inject a touch of reallity does anyone want to speculate as to where he will play and who we should drop?

1. I've never seen anything in him to suggest that he can replace Tugay as a playmaker (although this may indeed turn out to be his future given his physique).

2. Savage?..... No way Sav beats the drum and covers more ground and closes more players down and breaks opponants moves up more in one match than Dunny will do in four. He's a getter and giver. Dunne isn't suited to that role simple as.

3. Bentley? Pederson? Didn't he fall out with GS cos he wouldn't play wide midfield? Anyway does he have the pace or lungs for it?

So imo

4. That just about leaves him to play the point of a 5 man midfield just behind a lone striker. The role in fact that Rooney and in the past Scholes have played for MU (and a place that Sparky occupied at times too).

But that does mean playing with just one striker! A point that might make many of our 4-4-2 purists cough a little.

It's a no brainer, Tugay is nearly 37. They will be able to share the playmaking duties for now and Hughes will be able to cherry pick Tugs appearances much more selectively as he advances further into the Autumn of his career.

BTW we haven't even made a decision on a new contract for Tugs yet have we? I certainly think he's done enough to earn another twelve months and hopefully we won't need to flog him to death week in week out.

Also if anyone said now that the priority was competent cover for Savage (i.e. anyone but The Axe) I'd be in full agreement.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

It's a no brainer, Tugay is nearly 37. They will be able to share the playmaking duties for now and Hughes will be able to cherry pick Tugs appearances much more selectively as he advances further into the Autumn of his career.

BTW we haven't even made a decision on a new contract for Tugs yet have we? I certainly think he's done enough to earn another twelve months and hopefully we won't need to flog him to death week in week out.

Dunne and Toogs play completely different roles though.

I've already said that if I was the old RFW with the talent at his disposal I'd sign a virtually contractless Tugay to share duties with Carrick (and teach him how to play a bit ;) ) like a shot.

I don't see how a pairing of Savage & Dunn in centre-midfield would work. Dunny will naturally want to get foward and involved in play, whilst Savage does his usual job by chasing and closing people down. Problem will be that they'll be leaving a massive gap in the middle of the pitch. On second thoughts Reid & Savage played well together in centre-midfield last season, although Dunny probably doesn't have the ability to get up and down the pitch as much as Reidy.

Anyway we'll have to wait and see.

Edited by grizfoot

Tugay is irreplaceable given Rovers budget. All talk in the past of finding 'a 26 yr old like Tugay' is dreaming - you'd be looking at £10 million minimum. So lets be realistic.

When Tugay finally stops being a regular in the team we're going to have to reorganise the midfield. Mokoena is no-one's idea of a creative midfielder. Reid is out long-term. Savage is combative but again creates little. Dunn has the ability to find forwards with passes from midfield. Listen to the CD of Rovers promotion season & the number of goals scored by Jansen, Duff etc running onto passes from Dunny was surprisingly high.

I think Dunn brings more creativity into our midfield than this discussion thread gives him credit for. I think he'll play higher up the park than Tugay allowing Savage to play deeper, winning balls & breaking down oppposition moves then giving the ball to Dunn to thread wide to MPG or Bentley or forward for Benni to chase.

If he stays fit (big if i know) then I think this could well prove to be a fruitful signing. Especially given the money involved, and given the fact that we've got a player in the dressing room who no-one can doubt is 100% a Rover. :brfc: Oh, and expect him to share the captain's role with the Admiral next season..

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but Dunny's given a good interview on RoversWorld, where he also talks about his body mass index.. :D

Yeah I've seen the interview...he sounds so excited!! He stated he had to mention the fact his BMI was one of the lowest at the club and he is feeling fitter than ever! He also said he is still a bit of an idiot!

Dunny to score the winner against NOTLOB when we play them? That would be nice!!

Dunne and Toogs play completely different roles though.

I've already said that if I was the old RFW with the talent at his disposal I'd sign a virtually contractless Tugay to share duties with Carrick (and teach him how to play a bit ;) ) like a shot.

It's Dunn for Christsake Drog! No e!

To be honest I'm with you in that I think Dunn is far more likely to play on the wings and as a second striker than as a central midifielder. Of course he will get a chance there from time to time but you have to say that it is unlikely that if other more defensively stable midfielders are available he will play there.

If he wants to make central midfield his own he is going to need to not just be fit but ultra fit, as savage and Reid are. Tugay has the luxery of beinga bona fide genius to allow him to play without real pace and power.

I am just wondering if Savage and Dunn have played together in mid-field in Big club? They should have been play together before so I think their partnership will not be a bad one.

Virtually never as far as I can remember. Dunn played for them mostly on the wings or as second striker.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.