BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Should Dunny Have Come Home?

Should Dunny have come home?  

378 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have signed Dunn?

• Absolutely no way. The guy simply isn't fit enough for Premiership football
    • It's a big gamble, so probably not.
    • Sitting on the fence here.
    • Yes, even if he can't regain full fitness, the presence of a true roverite will lift everyone around the club.
    • Brilliant signing, he should never have left.

Totally agree about other players moving into space - half the time that Tugay gets caught in posession or passes to his invisible friend is due to lack of movement.

At the top of his game Dunn offers something in midfield that few other players can match. The reality is - we couldn't afford a young player with the same potential - and definitely not the finished article. So we have to put our faith in a player that has yet (mainly due to injury) to fully fulfill his potential. I think it was a gamble to buy Dunn - but without gambles like this we will always be a mid-table team - as (unlike Spuds, barcodes, West Ham, Aston Villa etc etc) we can't afford to buy players like Dunn or Bellamy if they weren't in some way damaged goods.

Exactly right.

A consistent injury free Dunn player would be at least 7m, probably a lot more.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think the point people are also missing he has not had a proper pre season - and was away from the Premier for a while due to his injuries so needs that little bit of time to get to speed.

I for one don't think he has done that bad, the incident on Saturday was as what has already been said and the obvious lack of option ( he looked up twice looking for a pass and nobody was available) so the tackle was inevitable.

IMO - We'll see the better of Dunn next season if he can remain fit

Villa played well and looked hungry for the win even though we probably made them look better than they actually were, however interestingly barring Portsmouth most teams to me seem to have looked confident when they have come to Ewood this season even West Ham -are we looked at as an easy option of a win do you reckon?

Take this as sour grapes if you like, although it isn't. I think we had a lucky escape with Dunny. He's not set the heather on fire since his return to Ewood Park (although he played well against us).

I always thought that he was a player who relied on pace, and from what I've seen he's lost a yard. That's crucial in this league. In the forthcoming pre-season he may re-discover that yard, but I doubt it.

Take this as sour grapes if you like, although it isn't. I think we had a lucky escape with Dunny. He's not set the heather on fire since his return to Ewood Park (although he played well against us).

I always thought that he was a player who relied on pace, and from what I've seen he's lost a yard. That's crucial in this league. In the forthcoming pre-season he may re-discover that yard, but I doubt it.

Proof that you don't know what you're talking about Zulu.

Dunny's never had pace, he has had both skill and strength though.

Hmmm, Personally, I would have thought that a player bought in Januaury would have been able to put in a full shift by April, no matter how unfit they were at first. Henchoz came to us unfit but was putting in good performances quicker than this, and he's several years older.

I had an open mind but am now beginning to doubt

£1.5 million for Dunn is without doubt Hughes's worst signing pound for pound. Fat boy would have been free next month - had he really wanted to move to Rovers for football reasons he could have signed a pre-contract in January and got himself into shape to be able to tackle a Hughes pre-season.

As it is he's used the Bolton situation to force Rovers to pay good money for him, signed a contract on his terms, and now he's living where he wants to live, drinking where he wants to drink, and there is no chance he will ever be match fit or match capable at the top level ever again.

I strongly suspect Hughes didn't really want this signing - he doesn't risk money on lazy idiots. It looks like a publicity stunt which has gone badly wrong - today it cost us points as well as money.

Had to bring this sheer idiocy up to the top. After yesterday I think it's safe to say that Hughesy was right, the board was right, and you were WRONG,WRONG,WRONG. As usual.

jan, whilst i don't have a problem with you, it does seem that you are incapable of having a discussion about what tris said and debating the points that he makes no matter how outlandish. it seems that 99% of your posts are based on waiting for an opportune moment, to make an attack on somebody...because your brain and lack of cells, don't permit you to have serious discussions about football. that aint your fault, i guess because they say talent skips a generation....so i guess your kids are gonna be sharp as tacks.

tris - my goodness, are you willing to take back all of that post and give credit where credit is due, because yesterday, if ever there was proof that dunny is at peak fitness...then we all saw it before our eyes. he was marvellous!!

Best game since his comeback even shading the Bolton performance. Yesterday, he was mobile, worked hard, tackled, made good runs forward and looked dangerous. I think if he had more of a license to roam forward, had we played against lesser opposition, he may have even scored or created more chances.

Great performance.

jan, whilst i don't have a problem with you, it does seem that you are incapable of having a discussion about what tris said and debating the points that he makes no matter how outlandish. it seems that 99% of your posts are based on waiting for an opportune moment, to make an attack on somebody...because your brain and lack of cells, don't permit you to have serious discussions about football. that aint your fault, i guess because they say talent skips a generation....so i guess your kids are gonna be sharp as tacks.

tris - my goodness, are you willing to take back all of that post and give credit where credit is due, because yesterday, if ever there was proof that dunny is at peak fitness...then we all saw it before our eyes. he was marvellous!!

I'd take that better from someone who actually knew where capital letters should be used. Criticism would come better from someone who can use English (note the capital letter) correctly.

Also, admitting I was right in your second paragraph somewhat degrades the rest of your post.

I disagreed with Tris's post when it was made, but contented myself with pointing out his agenda at the time. On the rest, I bided my time because it was obvious to a blind man that Dunny was gettting better and fitter. (Obviously that is to those WITHOUT an agenda). I'm glad for the club and supporters that we've got a fit and fantastic Dunny back, and I'm glad for Dunny that his detractors have to eat the largest slice of humble pie possible. And hopefully will continue to do so. How many games in a row has been fit for now?

Edited by Jan

:rover: i for one was glad when dunny came home,he has played little football since he left ewood,and i for one was prepared to give him a chance this season to get back in shape and play some premiership football.the boy is doing alright and that is good enough for me :brfc:

Just to temper that a bit, while Tris went much too far in his post Dunn had under performed since the Bolton game and deserved some milder criticism.

He was excellent yesterday though, and what really impressed me is that Dunn has always been about skill but in his second term at Rovers he has tansformed into this all action midfielder. Once he gets his touch and range of passing back to his former standard he is going to be an outstanding player for us.

As an aside, and assuming we hold on to them all, who would you play in the midfield next year?

We have: Dunn, Reid, Mokoena, Bentley, Pedersen, Tugay, Savage, Peter and Gallagher. All of those are Premiership quality save maybe Peter and Gally who the jury are out on.

At present I would go for:

MGP---Dunn---Reid---Bentley

But you can make excellent cases for the inclusion of both Savage and Mokoena, and it will be nice to roll out Tugay in the second half if we need a bit of creativity. Real competition there.

Edited by joey_big_nose

To be fair, I turned to Tris after one of Dunny's runs and said "That's what I've been waiting to see out of him" and Tris agreed. Just because he put in a good game doesn't mean the other stuff said was wrong.

And Jan, you should be one to talk about agendas. You were the one admitting to me that he completely bailed on Brum and refused to play. This proves Souness right, as he said Dunn's problem was his mindset.

Man of the match performance when it counted and under huge pressure. He was absolutely brilliant yeserday and looked every penny worth the £5m or so Birmingham paid for him a few seasons back. I wonder where he'd be if injury hadn't rampaged his last few years. If he can keep this form up, he will be Hughes's best purchase to date. That is a huge "if" though.

Aside from his fitness and play I was very encouraged by the fact that, whilst others were off the pace and flagging in the first half, he seemed to take some responsibility for the team perfomance. He tried to motivate the team by example and by encouraging his team-mates. I wouldn't want to speak too soon, but if he continues to improve his fitness/performances and also becomes more of a leader on the pitch his own game will improve and he could become a real assett to the team.

here's hoping.........

To be fair, I turned to Tris after one of Dunny's runs and said "That's what I've been waiting to see out of him" and Tris agreed. Just because he put in a good game doesn't mean the other stuff said was wrong.

And Jan, you should be one to talk about agendas. You were the one admitting to me that he completely bailed on Brum and refused to play. This proves Souness right, as he said Dunn's problem was his mindset.

My point was more along the lines of Hughes worked with both Souness and Dunn and bought DUNN back for the club (while clearly not being overly respectful of Souness). That's enough for me to know who was right. And yes, I think Dunny was fitter at Brum than he played. I don't necessarily think he was wrong for doing so. One of my friends has just moved from here- in a job she enjoyed- because of a deeply unpleasant boss. Now he's leaving and she's handed her notice in (after 6 months) and is coming back. In football Dunny didn't have that option (you can't just give notice). I think if she'd been stuck there, she'd probably have done the same as Dunny did and gone through the motions with a lot of sick leave until she could go.

Edited by Jan

I agree entirely with that Laurence. Dunn was putting himself around a lot ion the first half and leading by example.

Next season our midfield could well be the best outside the top four when Savage and Reid return. Let's hope they haven't lost too much through injury.

I thought Dunny should have played yesterday in place of Tugay, but I was surprised by how much more he brought to the team. A midfielder who could tackle, dribble, pass and shoot - haven't seen one of those for a long time.

On the evidence of yesterday, Dunny and Reid in midfield for next season.

Im having doubts whether Tugay will re-sign for another year, although I hope he does. He has been fantastic and he can still be an asset here, but IF Dunny regains his top form CONSISTENTLY and Reidy returns to the player we last saw, and with Sav and The Axe I think we got a healthy central midfield area.

The thought of the semi-final Dunn and end of last season Reid operating in midfield together (with Sav, Tugay and Mokoena as options) just raised the hairs on the back of my neck in anticipation. Should be a fantastic combination and a daunting proposition for most oppositions.

David was clearly tiring as we got into Extra Time - otherwise he was a very reliable penalty taker if you remember his first spell at Ewood.

Really pleased for the lad coming good in such a big match.

I'd take that better from someone who actually knew where capital letters should be used. Criticism would come better from someone who can use English (note the capital letter) correctly.

Also, admitting I was right in your second paragraph somewhat degrades the rest of your post.

I disagreed with Tris's post when it was made, but contented myself with pointing out his agenda at the time. On the rest, I bided my time because it was obvious to a blind man that Dunny was gettting better and fitter. (Obviously that is to those WITHOUT an agenda). I'm glad for the club and supporters that we've got a fit and fantastic Dunny back, and I'm glad for Dunny that his detractors have to eat the largest slice of humble pie possible. And hopefully will continue to do so. How many games in a row has been fit for now?

Kettle, Pan & Black :lol:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.