BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Should Dunny Have Come Home?

Should Dunny have come home?  

378 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have signed Dunn?

• Absolutely no way. The guy simply isn't fit enough for Premiership football
    • It's a big gamble, so probably not.
    • Sitting on the fence here.
    • Yes, even if he can't regain full fitness, the presence of a true roverite will lift everyone around the club.
    • Brilliant signing, he should never have left.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

£1.5 million for Dunn is without doubt Hughes's worst signing pound for pound.......... and there is no chance he will ever be match fit or match capable at the top level ever again.

Sorry to bring it up this back up Tris but I too was sceptical about Dunns signing. However in the games he's played this year he really has proved the doubters wrong. I'm not saying he's the second coming or anything but he's put in some good performances as shown again today against City. Now he's had a pre-season the worry about any stamina doubts are long gone. The image of his coming off 60 minutes into the UEFA cup game knackered are long forgotten. In both todays game and the Arsenal game he ran right to the very end. He may look 'fat' but his fitness isnt in doubt.

I don't think hes the player we sold as he hasnt shown the ability to dart forward and past a player like he used to but he's still technically very good and seems to accept his defensive responsibilities much more not than under Souness. All those peoeple who thought he added nothing to the squad, and there were many of them, are IMO now being proved wrong.

Today was Dunnys best performance since rejoining us.. IMHO its his first real full 90 minutes without tiring at any stage.

His performances have been slowly getting better as time went on. Still a fair way to go, but he's nearly the Dunn we had before Souness/Bruce/Injuries ruined him.

A Dunn hat trick in the Carling cup would be classic.

That would possibly be one of the funniest things imaginable in a footballing sense. Bruce gets 50 games from him in 3 seasons, we have more than half of that in less than one, and he scores a hat trick agains them. *drools* LOL!

Edited by Jan

Few more 90 min under his belt and i think Dave will be back to his best when he was challenging for a england place. Hes been ace so far this season, looks very fit. Even in the 89th min he still had the energy to drive the ball up.

Ill admit , i was very sceptical when he signed and by the way he played last season, but ill have to eat my hat on this one, he's been superb so far :tu:

In the last few games Dunn has been on top form. I loved it yesterday when he was chasing the ball down like Savage does in the 89th minute - that shows just how much his fitness has improved - also I forgot how good he can be on the ball.

More good work by Hughes & his team.

Most certainly yes. £5.5 million for a player who has had the few years that he has was a brilliant piece of business. It would be great to think that we could have kept him and avoided that, but I don't think we could have. Part of him maturing and becoming the player he seems to be now is the time he spent at Birmingham. For me he wouldn't have it in him to put in all the running and effort that he does now unless he knew how bad footballing life could be. He's now not just the local boy done good who can do whatever he wants, he has to put in the effort just like everyone else.

Most certainly yes. £5.5 million for a player who has had the few years that he has was a brilliant piece of business. It would be great to think that we could have kept him and avoided that, but I don't think we could have. Part of him maturing and becoming the player he seems to be now is the time he spent at Birmingham. For me he wouldn't have it in him to put in all the running and effort that he does now unless he knew how bad footballing life could be. He's now not just the local boy done good who can do whatever he wants, he has to put in the effort just like everyone else.

The crucial factor for me is Hughes. If a manager of Hughes' quality had managed him from youth I am sure the whole Birmingham debacle would never of happend. Perhaps he could even be an england regual or at a CL club? Good man mangers are crucial for certain tyes of player: joe Cole, Ashley Cole, Bentley, Gascoigne etc.

If Newcastle get frustrated with Duff then why not bring him back too? I am sure Sparky would get the best out of him, injuries permitting.

I wonder when Sparky leaves, or if these players get bought, whether they will be able to have the same high level of performance under lesser managers? I doubt it. Hughes really has picked up RFW gift in this regard.

I think Hughes deals with his players as professional as he can. the player will either react positively or negatively. if they perform then they excel if they dont they leave.

Dunny has excelled with his performances in the last 3 gmaes, he is fitter no doubt about that.

Rovers backroom team have worked fantastically well to mould a spirit other clubs can only dream of.

The comments of McCarthy echo that.

:brfc:

I was very sceptical when he was signed up again and kept thinking we had done Bolton a favour in keeping one of their sick beds clear for another player. But, after yesterday's virtuoso performance on top of his season to date, the new sharper, fitter (and thinner) Dunny is looking very much the part IMO and he may even put himself back in the reckoning internationally. Once again, proof as if it were needed, that I am not a good Premiership football manager despite my occasional delusions in that direction.

If Newcastle get frustrated with Duff then why not bring him back too? I am sure Sparky would get the best out of him, injuries permitting.

I can't help but feel that Duff must be nearly shot. Jose Mourinho is not a stupid man, and he practically gave him to Newcastle for £5m. There must be something seriously wrong there.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.