BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Spurs 3 - 2 Rovers

At the start of the season, Mark Hughes told the players we can qualify for europe this season!!

Many said he was having a laugh, some thought he had gone bananas. The fact is though after even being labelled as bully boys by the media, we have turned it all around through hard work, tactical knowledge and a well good blackburn rovers team spirit. we are curently in 5th position in the elite of english football and playing some awsome stuff!!

Who would of thought we would be singing easy! easy! easy! easy! and yeah belive it, are you burnley in disguise? to manky utd who we beat home and away in the league for the first time in how many years?

Jack Walker would have been looking down smiling from ear to ear.

Last saturday arsenal turned out at ewood park, some said it was the biggest game of the season. They beat Real's stars earler in the week but Madrid hasn't got m.g.p and a team that fights and gives everything for each other as we were well up for it and sent them crashing back to earth with a bang, 1-0 happy days!!

Hughsey said after the game "we are delighed we have been able to overcome an established side. we have got 3 points, leapfrogged above them in the premier league so im very satisfied."

satisfied yeah right, i was smashed out of my tree doing cartwheels!!

This sunday we travel down south to the capital and march into n1 to face a spurs side at white hart lane who are currently sitting in the final champions league spot 1 place and 3 points above us in 4th.

Is this now the biggest game of the season?

In our previous meeting this season we played out a 0-0 draw in a game of few chances and lucas neill seen red with andy todd also later getting a ban for a headbutt which the ref failed to see during the match but was later dealt with by tv evidence.

Over the years we have had some well good memories playing spurs, my favorite being the 2002 carling cup success at cardiff where matty jansen was playing his best football in a blackburn shirt and the boss, mr mark hughes was playing that day in the middle of the park.

times have changed since then though, tottenham now have englands number 1 between the sticks, a team full of young british talent like jenas, lennon, carrick, king, defoe and keane mixed with the foregn influence of davids and the hot head of (your a donkey) mido.

For my preview i was also unable to interview a celebrity but my mate certainly has a familiar

name in jonathan pearce.

here he is answering a few questions from a spurs view:

How long have you been a spurs fan and what are your favorite memories?

i have been a spurs fan all my life(23 years) and i have two memories that stick out, beating arsenal in the f.a.cup semis 3-1 and then going on to lift the trophy beating forest in the

final 1991.

For someone who hasn't been to white hart lane before can you tell us what it is like?

its an experience you wouldn't forget, the pitch is very close to the stands so your nearly on top of the players and when spurs are winning there is no better atmosphere.

What were your expectations of spurs this season and how do you think its gone so far?

i was expecting europe this season and maybe a good cup run (nevermind). i think we are ahead of what we are trying to achieve, which is to break up the big 4.

Whats your opinion on martin jol's transfer activity he has done?

i think he has spent wisely while taking a gamble on signing young players. At the moment it looks like the gamble has paid off, obviously we can't compete with chelsea in the transfer market, so we are indentifying players at a young age.

Any players you would hope to sign or get rid of in the summer?

well we have a fairly big squad but that is what you need, i'd say no to getting rid of anybody and in the summer i'd like to see mido signed up.

Are there any players through the youth system that look good for the future?

well our team is young so if i had to say one player it would be aaron lennon.

Who do you think from spurs will cause us problems and why?

i would say aaron lennon and michael carrick. lennon is your regular winger with bags of pace and carrick can carve chances from nothing, he just needs to add goals to his game.

Whats your opinion on blackburn and how do you think we will do this season?

blackburn have done really well this season, i think they have over achieved reason being they dont have the pressure of the bigger teams to win things, i think they will sneak in to europe.

Whats your opinion on mark hughes?

he's done a good job, he's made blackburn a tough team to play against, they just don't let teams play. so hughes has done well in only his second season from relegation to europe, who knows?

Which blackburn players are going to cause you problems?

pedersen if he is fit and bellamy. i dont think many defences in the league fancy playing against them, both very creative players.

Your predicted team for the match?

robinson, stalteri, lee, dawson, king, davids, jenas, carick, lennon, mido and defoe.

After our 0-0 at ewood park earlier in the season, it was a game of few chances, so whats your prediction for the game and the result?

i think it will be another tight game with home advantage just being enough. im going for a 1-0 win for tottenham.

thanks jon buddy for your comments.

i think on the injury front we only have one doubt with m.g.p. dickov should be back in contention again after a full weeks training he will be pushing for a place in the 16.

there are international's in mid week though so hopefully our players will come through alright.

my team:

friedel

neill todd nelson gray

reid savage tugay m.g.p/peter

bellamy pongolle

subs: enks, axe, bentley, kuqi, dickov.

Its going to be a well hard game imo, a game where we must take our chances. with friedel and our defensive unit solid, tugay pulling the strings in midfield and bellamy up front we can do them.

i'm going for a 2-0 win to rovers!!

tugay and bellamy.

champions league, keep the faith! rover.gif

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahem...  blink.gif

Sorry, cudnt let that one go  tongue.gif

386912[/snapback]

That's what stood out to me as well! smile.gif

It will be very difficult to get a result at Spurs this weekend, simply because they are so good at home. On paper, I think their team looks better than ours, but there isn't much in it. You would say that United and Arsenal had a better team on paper, but we've beaten both of them. I think Wigan showed that if you go to White Hart Line and try to play football, then you can open Spurs up and they are beatable. If we win this one, I really believe that we can qualify for the Champions League. If we don't, we still have a chance, but it the six point gap, plus goal difference would be hard to over turn.

I presume Pedersen won't be playing, because of the injury to his hamstring? That could be a blessing in disguise, because if he went there and played a blinder, it could make Spurs increase their interest in him. But then again, without Pedersen we are missing his goals and set piece ability.

As the games go by and we keep winning, I'm getting more confident in our team winning important matches (I've just put myself up for a big let down). I'm going for a 2-1 Rovers win with Bellamy, Pongolle and Keane scoring.

Are Spuds that good?

I don't know... but the fact I have to ask the question means they have neither convinced me the odd time I've seen them on the big screen nor have they brought Fleet Street's "finest" to paroxisms of delight -which given half of Fleet Street are Spuds followers is a bit strange, n'est-ce pas? (eh? in drogese)

Are Spurs a slightly more cultured effete version of Bolton or have I missed the reason for their existence?

Going for mathematical symmetry. We 0-0'd Notlob home and away and I rather suspect Sunday's televised match will be an advertisement for Sunday afternoon shopping in B&Q as a stimulating sportive social occasion.

This really is a vital game. I think that Spurs will finish above us despite the result, but wouldn't it be great to get 3 points from one of our toughest remaining fixtures?

With MGP doubtful, this could be Peter's chance to shine.

I'd play an unchanged team. No reason to change a winning formula.

As for the result, I'm going 2-0 Spurs in a very tight game.

Edited by tcj_jones

Spuds are a good side, but they are not that good, and they are not worth fearing. Yes they have some truely world-class players in Robinson and Davids but we can still beat them. We do have a good side and i hope MGP is fit and can show Spuds on what they are missing out on, a 20+ yard screamer from MGP. Arsenal are a better side than Spuds, Manure are a better side than Spuds, Liverpool are a better side than Spuds and we have outplayed all of those sides for periods if not whole games this season.

If we keep there strikers quiet and Defoe can blow hot or cold, we could sneak a win.

With Pedersen now out I was thinking to myself that this could be a great opportunity to play a sort of Diamond formation in midfield. Let Tugay sit deep with Reid and Savage in front of him and then Bentley further up in behind a front two if we are feeling adventurous and give the fullbacks full permission to get forward. If not then maybe play Bellamy alone up front with Bentley in behind and a sort of diamond formation with Reid, Savage and Emerton forming the three across the middle and Tugay sitting deep. It will be interesting to see what happens. Can't wait for this game.

I presume Pedersen won't be playing, because of the injury to his hamstring? That could be a blessing in disguise, because if he went there and played a blinder, it could make Spurs increase their interest in him.

386971[/snapback]

If he went there and played a blinder we could end up in the Champions League ahead of Spurs. If that's the case, Spurs can be as interested as they like.

With Pedersen now out I was thinking to myself that this could be a great opportunity to play a sort of Diamond formation in midfield. Let Tugay sit deep with Reid and Savage in front of him and then Bentley further up in behind a front two if we are feeling adventurous and give the fullbacks full permission to get forward. If not then maybe play Bellamy alone up front with Bentley in behind and a sort of diamond formation with Reid, Savage and Emerton forming the three across the middle and Tugay sitting deep. It will be interesting to see what happens. Can't wait for this game.

387096[/snapback]

Thats a good idea but wouldn't we lack width?

If I was Bentley I would be wondering where the next start is coming from. Reid ahead of him on the right; Bellamy, Pongo and Dickov ahead of him up front.

Personally I would like to see:

Bellamy      Dickov

Peter     Savage     Tugay     Reid

Gray    Todd      Nelsen   Niell

Freidel

Subs: Encks, Zurab, Bentley, Emerton, Pongo

A draw would be a good result, a win fantastic.

2-2

edit- apparently the Ped is definitely out so I change my team accordingly! Even though Peter was decidedly average against the Arse I reckon he will offer more than Emerton, plus can take a decent corner which nobody else seems to be able to do.

Edited by joey_big_nose

It will surely be a tough game this, and I really hope Hughes doesnt make the same mistake like the WBA game (right after beating ManU) and picking Tugay from the start.

This will be a high pace game where Tottenham will do their best trying to close us down as fast as possible, therefore Reid should start in the centre, not Tugay. Its a shame that MGP wont be playing, because we can't play both Peter and Bentley wide as they dont offer much in defense.

Line up should be:

Friedel

Neill - Todd - Nelsen - Gray

Bentley - Reid - Savage - Emo 

Bellamy - Pongo

Are Spuds that good?

In a word, Yes! Before the season started I predicted they would finish 3rd. They're not far off.

Martin Jol is proving to be an excellent manager; very astute in his choice of players and building a squad to better the gooners.

I think Rovers' bubble will burst on Sunday. 3-0 to Spurs.

I so hope, come Sunday night, I'll have egg on my face. rover.gif

Are Spuds that good?

I don't know... but the fact I have to ask the question means they have neither convinced me the odd time I've seen them on the big screen nor have they brought Fleet Street's "finest" to paroxisms of delight -which given half of Fleet Street are Spuds followers is a bit strange, n'est-ce pas? (eh? in drogese)

Are Spurs a slightly more cultured effete version of Bolton or have I missed the reason for their existence?

Going for mathematical symmetry. We 0-0'd Notlob home and away and I rather suspect Sunday's televised match will be an advertisement for Sunday afternoon shopping in B&Q as a stimulating sportive social occasion.

386998[/snapback]

Spot on,.. Absolutely spot on.

People on this board have bitten the bait and believed the hype.

The truth is, Spurs aren't that good. They are in the same class division as Rovers, the only difference is they have bought their players for silly money, whereas we have developed ours. A cultured Bolton is just about as accurate description of Spurs I have heard, and though that is no bad thing, let it be known that we have just beaten a much better team last weekend.

I don't think we will win this game, but only because I have a bad feeling we will buckle, rather than be dislodged.

387096[/snapback]

Though the idea sounds all arrows and dynamite in your head in a Football Manager kind of way (that is no insult, I often get similar 'super' ideas in my head) I don't think this would be the time to start experimenting with new strategies.

Tried and tested route please.

Spurs are the equivalent of a cricketing 'flat-track bully'. They dispose of mediocre opposition pretty comfortably but haven't beaten any good teams this season. So far, they've failed to win against any of the top 8 - Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, ourselves, Bolton or West Ham.

Whilst many in the media rave about Carrick, he doesn't have a big impact on games if he's put under pressure. Wigan did just that in their 2-2 draw and he was totally nullified. They were forced to go long ball, were pretty dreadful and the crowd were getting on their backs. He, like Jenas and Murphy, is a bit lightweight. If we can get stuck in then we can get the better of them in midfield.

Edited by Bing

This is asking for trouble but say Carrick to me and I remember his "performance" as a hot tip for the England squad picked later that week when Rovers won 7-1 against the Whammers.

Guess his England and Hammers careers both effectively disappeared on a magical mystery tour of Ewood courtecy Mr Toogs. He got lots of exposure of all the sorts a young player doesn't want from TV replays and finally got to see the day's matchball when passing the Rovers' dressing room on his way to the coach home.

If Carrick is a World Cup contender he will make us suffer on Sunday. I said if.....

Though the idea sounds all arrows and dynamite in your head in a Football Manager kind of way (that is no insult, I often get similar 'super' ideas in my head) I don't think this would be the time to start experimenting with new strategies.

Tried and tested route please.

387145[/snapback]

If I actually had to make the decision I'm sure I'd go the tried and tested route as well, but it is always nice to speculate.

This is asking for trouble but say Carrick to me and I remember his "performance" as a hot tip for the England squad picked later that week when Rovers won 7-1 against the Whammers.....

If Carrick is a World Cup contender he will make us suffer on Sunday. I said if.....

387151[/snapback]

If memory serves, he got the '1' that day, hardly a career highlight granted. I seem to remember he was the great white hope at the time. Still seems to be now. And as others have said, that's only cos he plays for a fashionable London club.

Spot on,.. Absolutely spot on.

People on this board have bitten the bait and believed the hype.

The truth is, Spurs aren't that good. They are in the same class division as Rovers, the only difference is they have bought their players for silly money, whereas we have developed ours. A cultured Bolton is just about as accurate description of Spurs I have heard, and though that is no bad thing, let it be known that we have just beaten a much better team last weekend.

387144[/snapback]

They have much better strikers than us. While I would have Bellamy over any one of theirs, that they can call on two (out of three) forwards of real international quality trumps our front line.

They also have a much better selection of players in midfield but do not seem to have found a balance. The concept of 'width' does not seem to be on the Jol radar, and they actually tend to go route one quite often negating the whole point of having skillful individuals.

I don't think we can really kid ourselves into thinking we have better players, but Hughes certainly seems to put his resources to work far more effectively.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.