BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Battle Of 4th, 5th, 6th Position

Modi

6 points would almost certainly be enough.

Even if Newcastle won all the games, including one against Chelsea it would still go down to goal difference, rovers are currently 4 ahead. Bolton would also have to win 4 of their last 5, so lets hope albion can do us a favour tonight, Wigan would have to win all their games, including trips to Highbury and craven cottage. After that no-one else could reach us.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say we only need 3 more points to see off Newcastle. They'll beat West Brom but I can't see them getting anything at Big Club or against Chelsea without their main man up front.

That is the bare minimum but I think we'll comfortably get 6th place by at least 5 points by the end of the season. We'll get 4 points from these next two games, we'll do Chelsea in revenge for last season and we'll beat Man City.

It's more than in our hands and with born winners like Hughes and Bellamy in our ranks, we won't let it slip!

COME ON YOU BLUES!

I saw the Half times between meetings so the full time results with Charlton and Newcastle reversing the HT arrears was a bit of a bow.

Never mind, 6th is still our's to lose. Four straight wins and who knows where we can end up!

Not getting twitchy about us finishing outside the top 6 but out of interest, if Boro make the FA Cup final and win the UEFA Cup then won't a further place go to 7th?

399914[/snapback]

Correct. I don't want it to have to come to this, but yes this is the case.

I could stomach losing 6th place to just about anyone except the Newcastle team Souness almost led to relegation only a couple of short months ago.

Cmon Rovers -get your backsides in gear!

399940[/snapback]

rover.gif it's not the rovers who need to get in gear,tis officials tinykit.gif

A bigger worry of Newcastle pipping us at the post - is the rumours in the Sunday newspapers about Hughes and Newcastle.

Only rumours - but I have been amazed that this was the first time his name was linked to them.

If we can cling onto a UEFA Cup spot - and with Fergie not too far from retirement - I still hope he would turn them down if approached. However, us missing out on Europe may have a bearing on this.

Just refreshed after the weekend's fixtures and I too am in wonderment at where Newcastle have come from. As Tucker says though we have 3 more points, a game in hand and better goal difference than them. One more win should see them off but we need at least two to be certain. Brum should be a fantastic game; them fighting for their lives, us trying to get to Europe.

What happens if Arsenal win the Champs League? Do Spurs get bu66ered?

Yes yes yes yes yes. If arsenal win the champions league and finish outside the top four then fourth spot is only good enough for the UEFA cup.

Newcastle have been lingering there for a while and a few weeks ago I think a few of us were pretty worried about them, we pulled away again but after 2 points from 3 games a couple teams were always going to put themselves back in with a chance. We still have to be happy with the last few weeks though, we've gone from being in a position where we needed other teams to slip up to being in a pretty comfortable position. I know it doesn't feel that way, but with most teams having at least one tough game left and sitting three points ahead with a game in hand and only three games left you would put us as pretty safe bets. We certainly wouldn't think we could catch a team if we were in their position.

Newcastle have big club & west brom in their next 2 games, not exactly hard, I think we may need more than 3 points to make sure of 6th.

400106[/snapback]

I think the remaining fixtures are pretty well balanced between the two teams - both have Chelsea at home as their most difficult match.

After big club - we also have fixtures against Charlton and Man City in comparison to them playing big club and WBA. Though this could rebound - we should find it easier playing two team with nothing to play for than teams fighting for their lives.

However - I can't help but worry that they play Chelsea just prior to the FA Cup.

Wednesday is huge - IF we win sixth spot becomes that little more definite - and 4th still looks attainable (though unlikely).