BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Battle Of 4th, 5th, 6th Position

Modi

Now now. Remeber that the barcodes have only two games left. All is not lost. In fact we can still finish 4th:

- Spuds lose their last two and finish on 62 pts

- Arse lose one, draw one and win one from their last 3 and finish on 62 pts.

- We win our last 3 games and finish on 63 pts.

This ten day break will do us good. I honestly still think we have a great chance of taking 6th.

401266[/snapback]

Now that is hopeful thinking. I like it, keep the faith! wink.gif

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

couldnt agree more T4E. We have gone from strong european contenders to gifting newcastle our place in europe. What happened?!

This is a perfect example of the old adage "the only thing guaranteed in football is disappointment"

today is not a good day for us sad.gif

Bizarrely enough, it's not an entirely impossible scenario. Spurs' last two games are perfectly loseable (Bolton at home, then West Ham away). Arsenal have Sunderland away (That'd be their win), City away is tricky, Wigan could potentially upset them at home.

Of our remaining games, we should take City, and if we suddenly regain our form we can do Charlton easily enough even at their place. Then sure, there's Chelsea, but they'll have won the league by then.

Course, I wouldn't place any bets on it, but I like the optimism!!! However, I'm very worried we could let it all slip and get zip. I hate the anxiety this part of the season brings!

Guest Kamy100
I hate the anxiety this part of the season brings!

401271[/snapback]

This isn't anxiety. We massively over-achieved this season, what Hughes has done has been remarkable. The UEFA spot is still there to be taken, remember it is still in our hands. I think that we will beat Charlton next up. Chelsea will be tough (regardless of them having won the title or not). Man City last up is definately winable. U think that 6 points will see us get 6th place. Keep the faith!!

Its not in our hands anymore.

Bolton will finish above us if they win their last remaining games.

We need two wins in my opinion to cement 6th, 7 points and we will be 6th for sure...

401291[/snapback]

It is in our hands. We have played the same games and they are 2 points behind. Even if they win all their games they might not be in Europe. If we win all ours we will. I know which position I'd rather be in.

Im sorry I forgot that we now have the same points.

401293[/snapback]

Team P W D L F A W D L F A GD PTS

1 Chelsea 35 17 1 0 44 9 11 3 3 25 11 49 88

2 Man Utd 35 12 4 1 33 8 12 3 3 35 23 37 79

3 Liverpool 35 14 3 1 29 7 8 4 5 20 15 27 73

4 Tottenham 36 11 5 2 30 16 6 6 6 21 20 15 62

5 Arsenal 35 13 3 2 44 11 4 4 9 14 17 30 58

6 Blackburn 35 11 3 3 28 17 5 3 10 18 25 4 54

7 Newcastle 36 10 5 3 27 15 6 1 11 19 27 4 54

8 Bolton 35 10 4 3 27 12 4 6 8 20 27 8 52

Why such the big fuss??! Uefa Cup football wont make us any better or bigger as a club, we've proved this after every season we've entered the Uefa Cup.

We may be able to attract a few slighly better players that will probably be able to keep us in the premiership 6th-15th positions for a decent spell of time, which is great for a club like Rovers. But I admit, i would love a good run in Europe next season.

I think I'd rather have a season like Boro have had this season, compared to ours this!?

Also another question, are we still in 6th today because our club name begins with a B?

Also another question, are we still in 6th today because our club name begins with a B?

401297[/snapback]

Yes, the table is shown in alphabetical order if teams can't be split any other way. God knows what would happen, though if the season finished with us and another team tied for 6th place on points, goal difference and goals scored. presumably some sort of play-off?

401297[/snapback]

Yes, the table is shown in alphabetical order if teams can't be split any other way. God knows what would happen, though if the season finished with us and another team tied for 6th place on points, goal difference and goals scored. presumably some sort of play-off?

401302[/snapback]

Isnt it still the toss of a coin?

2 points out of the last four games and still 6th.

Thankfully Charlton crashed back to awful at notlob today so the trip to the Valley is a realistic chance of 3 points provided Sparky raises the lads to the occasion. Chelsea looked no great shakes against Liverpool so our game in hand might not be a complete write-off.

The other contenders for 6th seem to have the names Birmingham and Portsmouth appearing in their last fixtures.

• Backroom
I think we are fourth only on the notion that we have played one less game than Newcastle, so our points average is better than theirs.

401303[/snapback]

Wow! we have gained two places !!! laugh.giftongue.gif

4 points will still see us getting 6th I expect.

Can't see the Toon getting more than three points from Birmingham away and Chelsea at home.

Shades of the 1997/98 season from our point of view...

...hopefully we won't be required to win on the last day to keep sixth.

It'd been such a great season until Portsmouth away that losing out on Europe will seem like a disappointment. sad.gif

All in all though, it's been a far better season than the previous two. thumbs-up.gif

I was under the impression that if things couldnt be split by goals it would go down to the head to head games? Seeing as they beat us 3-0 and we won 1-0 at their place that would suggest they would finish above Rovers. :s

4 points will still see us getting 6th I expect.

Can't see the Toon getting more than three points from Birmingham away and Chelsea at home.

Shades of the 1997/98 season from our point of view...

...hopefully we won't be required to win on the last day to keep sixth.

It'd been such a great season until Portsmouth away that losing out on Europe will seem like a disappointment.  sad.gif

All in all though, it's been a far better season than the previous two.  thumbs-up.gif

401337[/snapback]

Largely agree FLB, but a few months ago (I haven't got time or inclination to find it) I said something like I'd be happy if going into the last game, we knew a win would guarantee us a UEFA Cup spot. And I still would be. Yes, the last few games have been disappointing but I'm a glass half full chap when it comes to the season overall : finishing 6th - 8th would be one hell of an achievement, only in the context of things a month ago is 7th a blow.

The last four games have left us with a lot to do now just to stay in European contention. For some reason the players seem to have taken the foot off the gas and if they don't turn this run around then we could slip out of the European qualification places. That would be a bitterly disappointing end to the season! I think we are really going to have to go for 6 or 7 points. There are no guarantees now and we must approach each of the 3 remaining games as cup finals.

Admittedly at the start of the season I would have taken 8th but after the way the team has developed and some of the exceptional performances that have been put in this second half of the season it would be a failure to fail to qualify for Europe (particularly given our position a month ago).

But what about Bolton, FLB? They just smashed Charlton 4-1 and with fixtures against Spurs, 'Boro, and Birmingham, I'd put them down for 6-7 points to add to their total. If we get four points, they could easily equal our points tally and beat us on goal difference.

What I cannot believe is the fact that Newcastle have somehow crept into real contention for Europe this season. However, I agree that they won't get 6 points from their remaining two fixtures.

Europe is very much in our own hands.

Edited by tcj_jones