BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Battle Of 4th, 5th, 6th Position

Modi

It struck me recently that there is a lot riding on where we end up; Hughes has had a good season up to now but I think it is very important we end up 6th. I think we have quite a poor squad and to end up 6th would be a good performance. It would also help generate extra funds because of the league position and would encourage a slightly better quality of player to the club.

If we end up lower than that, it would be harder for Williams to justify allowing the same amount of funds for transfer fees, as we would not be in Europe and Hughes would not have proved his ability to get the best out of the players available to him.

Hughes has done some good deals in bringing players to the club, but I would argue that at £3,000,000 we paid too much for Savage so there is no guarantee all his deals would be good.

I also think that ending up below 6th would be quite disappointing on Hughes' CV. If he is ambitious, he will want to win things, and maybe move to a bigger club (if I were a Director of MU I would want to appoint a manager who had won a lot of leagues etc, with possibly a European title) even if he can't get the job he probably wants. So I think Hughes really needs to get us 6th position for his own reasons as well as for ours.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With West Ham losing yesterday that puts them out of the race for 6th spot. Its now only between ourself, Newcastle and Bolton. I can see Bolton getting 6 more points, so we need at least 5p from our last three games..

i don't think west ham are to bothered with the defeat and the chase for 6th in the league, they have already sealed europe by making the f.a. cup final. even if west ham lose, liverpool are in the champs league and west ham will be given the u.e.f.a. cup win or lose. i think that is right?

According to the LET, who have been in touch with the premier League, the team finishing 6th would qualify for EUFA even if Boro win the cup as MU won the League Cup and they have already qualified for the Champion's League.

i don't think west ham are to bothered with the defeat and the chase for 6th in the league, they have already sealed europe by making the f.a. cup final. even if west ham lose, liverpool are in the champs league and west ham will be given the u.e.f.a. cup win or lose. i think that is right?

That is correct!

The Whammers will probably just rest their players now until the cup final which will take them out of the race for 6th place.

Today is a big day of football for us, we need the big club to do us a favour, we need the Spuds to beat the notlobbers and we must beat Charlton.

Edited by ihatethedingles

I havent been this nervous in a long time.

Brum - Newc game could go either way. Im watching it. Two average sides, Brum the better slightly, but Newc look like they could score...

1 goal could decide it.

403202[/snapback]

Tell me about it. I hate the BIG club but i'd be jumping if they scored now.

not the end of the world.....maybe dropping out of the European places for the first time in a while will give the players the kick up the arse they need!!!

A draw for Big club isnt the end of the world for us...plus it means they still go down!! biggrin.gif

We've still got a outside chance of finishing 4th. If Spurs lose their remaining games (vs bolton and west ham) and we win our remaining two.

403315[/snapback]

...and if Arsenal balls up too, yeh. It's pretty unlikely, but then again, it's only a couple games left to go. It's dependent on 8 results pretty much ALL going our way though. But never say never biggrin.gif

Spurs' last games= Bolton at White Hart Lane, then West Ham away. Tricky games.

Arsenal's last games= Sunderland away, Man City away, Wigan at home. Probably less tricky. Assuming we beat Chelski and City, Arsenal would need 5 points from those 3 games. Their GD beats our vastly. So they'd need to lose (best candidate for that being City away probably), and draw with Wigan at home (we can assume they'll murder Sunderland). They would also need to lose to Barcelona.

Edited by bluebruce

Im not sure I want to risk Bolton beating Spurs tomorrow actually. wink.gif

403334[/snapback]

Me either...I'll have very mixed feelings that I won't be able to reconcile til the last day of the season if it happens.

Fourth place got out of our grasp a week or so guys, why even talk about it, its a very slim chance now and i think we should be more concerned with keeping sixth place nevermind any higher.