BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Battle Of 4th, 5th, 6th Position

Modi

I think 6th or 7th. Arsenal and/or Bolton will possibly end up above us. Still wide open though, the next 2 games will give us a much better idea.

If we get a result on Sunday I'd be disappointed to see us finish below 5th.

I'll take 4th though blink.gifrover.gif

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive got us down as final position of 6th and a Uefa cup spot. Im happy with anything above 10th place, then again for the first 7 away games i went to this season i failed to see rovers score or pick up a point and carried on going, so i guess im one of those easily satisfied Rovers fans biggrin.gif

Btw, whats all this about Spurs being some sort of make or break game. Now i dont think were gona finish 4th anyway, but if we loose, so what there are still plenty of games to go. Spurs still have to go to west ham, chels, arse and Everton and have games against the teams battling for points. Its very much up for grabs and if we loose at spurs but win the next 2 home games we will still be very much in the shake up!

I think 7th.

And those saying ''even if we don't get 4th or 5th it's okay, we've still had a great season;....'' Rubbish!!!

387966[/snapback]

Bah.

If we finish top 10 we have had a great season.

Fair enough if we now slip out of the europe places it would be disappointing - but we've still had a great season.

Went for 7th on the basis that:

- we have a fixture list which could get us into 4th place if everything goes brilliantly from now to season end so there is upside.

- Realistically, Spuds, Arsenal and Bolton have enough to take 4th, 5th and 6th from their current league positions.

- West Ham, City and Everton are capable of coming into contention for top 6 places.

So I've opted for midpoint of those three scenarios which should give us Intertoto and a decent possibility of straight UEFA with Liverpool and Chelsea having OK draws in the FA Cup.

I said that we will probably drop out of the top ten all together. I only say this because if we lose to Spurs, it will put the players on a downer and with us having a small squad we could end up like Charlton normally do around this time of the year and lose to everyteam in the league. We also have to play a lot of sides that will be fighting for survival and they will be no push over.

If we beat Spurs, top 6 is definately a possibility, just have to remember Whammers and Notlob have games in hand and Arsenal are no mugs.

Mark Hughes has just stated on BBC1 that a Champions' League finish is a possibility and one they will be going for. The interview is also available on the club website.

For me it's a bit optimistic but full marks for being willing to admit they arre going for it.

Champions' League is very optimistic, I can't see us moving past Liverpool, Chelsea, ManU or Tottenham. I also expect Arsenal to finish above come the final day. With Bolton having two games in hand and looking very good at the moment, it will be very hard for us to stay above them. I think we'll finish above the Hammers though putting us in 7th. Nevertheless I had to be optimistic with my vote and I'm hoping we finish above Arsenal so I went for 6th!

Of course our aim is to get 40 points, but I want our aim to be to get 60 points and in doing so get 40 points, not to plan to get 40 and anything else is a bonus. We will always be able to breathe a sigh of relief when we get past the 40 point mark, I just think the club should be more ambitious then to set that as any sort of target and I believe that under Hughes that is what is being done.

If you set targets you don't always hit them, but if you set them well within your sights I think it is rare that you exceed them.

Entertainment wise YES, quality wise NO...

388153[/snapback]

They'll never be an end to this debate, but I believe in quality throughout the sides it is the best, quality at the very top few sides or top half it isn't.

Entertainment wise YES, quality wise NO...

388153[/snapback]

I know I watch a lot less foreign footie than you scandinavian lads but wouldn't you say that was a bit erroneous when we have three teams in the last 16 of the CL, two of whom look like they will get through to the last eight.

The UEFA performance has been a little weak, Borough will struggle against Roma, so I suppose you could say outside the top three we are probably lagging behind the Spanish standard. But we are not that far off. I would fancy Rovers to give Celtavigo or Sevilla a game.

I watch the Spanish, German, Italian and English leagues regularly live cause I follow some of the teams or players there.

In terms of quality the English Premier League is DEFINITELY not the best league. In terms of end-to-end action, its probably the best but with the Spanish league very very close to it.

In terms of pure football, then its got to be Spain and Italy with England third.

In terms of tactical football, the Italians are King.

The French League is also very good to watch. The football is very attractive to watch, there are some great teams and there are a huge amount of class players playing in France. It is no where near as competitive as the Premiership or La Liga, but often it is better to watch.

As for the poll, I really think that we can finish 4th, depending on the result tomorrow though. It will be hard to win at Tottenham, because they haven't lost in 11 games there. If we lose, then there will be a six point gap between the teams, which may as well be seven, because of the goal difference. We would find it very difficult to over haul that. A 5th or 6th place finish would be pretty good then anyway. But if we win, we will have a great chance to go on and claim the last Champions League spot.

rover.gif i've gone for 8th,which is well above my pre-season prediction which was a couple off places above last season.to me 5th place is beyond my wildest dreams,after watching all home games and several away i still cannot believe we are 5th.wba away was worse than anything i have seen during sparky's tenure,but the arse,manure at home and wigan away have been brilliant.too me we are punching above our weight,and i have gone for another 16pts gained this year.

spuds-0

villa-3

boro-3

sunderland-1

wigan-3

pompey-0

liverpoo-3

brum-0

chelski-1 [they win the championship]causing uproar as chelsea fans are in rovers areas!!!!!!!!

charlton-1

citeh-1 tinykit.gif