BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers 5 Plymouth 2

The best atmosphere I ever experienced, up until VE day that was.

Mike Hickman got two, I think. What happened to him?

Do you remember Hickman shouting 'ooh' when he went in for a tackle close to the half way line in front of Riverside, (may not have been in this game). I mention this because I'm sure I remember we used to shout 'ooh' when he went in for every tackle after that. Surprising what comes back when you cast your mind back. Not sure if it's mentioned anywhere else, but does anyone remember the 'teddy bears' that used to be thrown up in the air at half time on the Riverside? This would go on for 5 minutes or so, then you'd see it go up minus an arm, then a leg until total dismemberment was achieved. Sorry if this is posted somewhere else.

Also, I was always under the impression Jimmy Mullen played in this game and had his leg broke, but I just checked Wiki and he played for us some 5 years earlier. Can anyone remind me if, when and who we were playing when it happened please.

Edited by 12milesfromewood

The best atmosphere I ever experienced, up until VE day that was.

Mike Hickman got two, I think. What happened to him?

When I was preparing the Preview of the game against Wolves at the end of last season, I came across something which said that he'd gone into coaching in Australia but had come back to this country and been part of Mark McGhee's backroom team when McGhee managed Wolves in the late-1990s. Not heard anything of him since, though.

Also, I was always under the impression Jimmy Mullen played in this game and had his leg broke, but I just checked Wiki and he played for us some 5 years earlier. Can anyone remind me if, when and who we were playing when it happened please.

Wiki is wrong.

Jimmy Mullen broke his leg v Peterborough on the 1st Feb.1975 which was the previous home game before the Plymouth match.

Wiki is wrong.

Jimmy Mullen broke his leg v Peterborough on the 1st Feb.1975 which was the previous home game before the Plymouth match.

Thank you WB, I saw so many matches sat on the Riverside wall in the 70's that I struggle to remember most. I thought Mullen played around that time but just put it down to the memory recall beginning to fail!

• 10 years later...
On 30/12/2011 at 12:24, whittle blue said:

Wiki is wrong.

It was our only home defeat that season. They beat us 1-0 and all I remember was Jimmy Mullen breaking his leg and the 9 year old me, think they were the dirtiest team in the world. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.