BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 3 Middlesbrough 2

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well pleased with the result, bellamy and m.g.p was awsome.

bellamys strike for the our 3rd was a classic, what a finnish.

just a shame all the teams around us also won.

as for savage's sending off i thought the ref was having a laugh, both yellows were wrong and i hope we appeal.

Gordo, if you took the time to read my post (you probably did, but are ignoring it because you don't have a good response) you'd know that USA does provide a share of the funding.

391905[/snapback]

If thats the case american then I apologise to you both. thumbs-up.gif It just gets frustrating sitting in a half empty stadium (God only knows how many would be there if we were threatened with relegation again) and then hearing the fans criticised by our exiled brethren who contribute sweet FA in finacial terms. You must realise that my feelings of frustration and helplessness with regard to ever falling attendances are not new, they were forged in the mid sixties and that lesson appears to have beeen largely forgotten nowadays.

another good 3 points for the rovers. It shows how far we have come this season this time last year we would of lost that game especially when we went down to 10 men.

We all have to admire how Hughes has gone about his business to lifting us from an relagation threating team to an top 6 team in the prem.

well thats ruined my morning sad.gif

is it a 1 or a 3 game ban then?

391964[/snapback]

Should be just the one game. 3 for a straight red. Course, depends on how many yellows he's clocked up as well though.

rover.gif i asked previously when was the last time rovers WON WITH TEN MEN anyone know tinykit.gif

391952[/snapback]

cant remember one in recent times.

fought back to draw with bolton (a) twice, when cole and reid have been sent off.

similar resolve shown on saturday. bellamy is def. the 2nd best striker we've had (in my lifetime). we're lucky to have him. i'm pleased the rovers are showing their appreciation (vocally). it has taken some people time!

the only disappointment was the crowd. 18000 home fans is abysmal, no matter the entrance fee.

bellamy is def. the 2nd best striker we've had (in my lifetime). we're lucky to have him. i'm pleased the rovers are showing their appreciation (vocally). it has taken some people time!

the only disappointment was the crowd. 18000 home fans is abysmal, no matter the entrance fee.

391979[/snapback]

well grabbi was in a class of his own really wasn't he laugh.gif

18,000 i agree is abysmal but for those who went seen a great match though the ref was a joke and did want to be centre of attention!!!

rover.gif i had a right do in the pub yesterday with the stay away fans,there reply was that they were not prepared to watch players being paid 20k a week,when they earned £300,seemed a good enough reply to me,and these are lads who have been going since the 60's tinykit.gif

Dunno but we seem to frequently get beaten by ten men

391956[/snapback]

1) We frequently get beaten by teams with 10 men.

2) We won with 10 men.

1) + 2) = Play with 10 men always = keep winning, and save on wages! laugh.gif

rover.gif i had a right do in the pub yesterday with the stay away fans,there reply was that they were not prepared to watch players being paid 20k a week,when they earned £300,seemed a good enough reply to me,and these are lads who have been going since the 60's tinykit.gif

391984[/snapback]

It's absolute rubbish that waggy and you can tell em so. Last 2 weeks we have been on £15 tickets ffs! Transparent gits! Do you think that if we get relegated to whichever league it is that averages £300 per week that they would go then? Would they bollokxk. They'd say 'I'm not paying good money to watch that conference shyte!'

Truth is they are searching for excuses to spend as much of their £300 quid on ale as possible. How many times do people say 'if fags go up again in the budget I'm packing in!' and never do.... Well its the same with ale. Their kids kids will simply end up supporting Man Utd. I bet when they are in Benidorm and somebody mentions footy they'll be the biggest Rovers fans the world has ever seen.

Edited by thenodrog

391984[/snapback]

Waggy, Looks like the stay away fans are underachieving massively earning £300 a week whilst the Rovers players are deservedly earning and acheiving their 20k plus a week.

Looks like an impossible situation that can't ever be addressed for our underacheiving stay away supporters, they sound like your stereo typical Dingles.

Obviously those stay away fans are probably stuck in the sixties and seventies skills timewarp, Waggy.

Our players are some of the best in their trade, playing football. They are also in the entertainment business. If Rovers don't pay their wages then another club will! Rio Ferdinand anyone unsure.gif ?

My kids went to a Kayne West concert recently. It cost way more than a Rovers match and from their seats the great man was just a speck in the distance!

tnd is right about spending the money on ale and thinking nothing of it!

Well another three points for rovers as we continue our excellent home form. With 11 vs 11 it always looked like a rovers win, just after boros second equaliser I'd have snapped up a point. As it was rovers continue to show why we're challenging for europe with a very dogged display.

IMO the first half went pretty much as expected. Rovers scored two classy goals, Bellamy and Pederson are invaluable to the side, and throughout we looked like we were going to win it. Rovers weakness in conceeding as soon as they score is really beginning to hack me off. It cost us against spurs and very nearly cost us again today. Mindy you I'm not too sure what Hughes can do when Neill (who was at his casual worst all afternoon) does such a dog awful throw, Zurab shockingly misjudges it and Nelsen gives Viduka far too much space. Even so despite this at half time I was confident that we'd be three one winners, maybe four if we got a bit more consistency.

One other thing that annoyed me is Pongolle who I thought had a shocker. Too easily shrugged off the ball, his first touch was poor, and every time he turned the wrong way. Any decision he had to make he made the wrong one. How he wasn't substituted at half time is beyond me. The worst rovers performance Ive seen for a while and literally had me jumping out of my seat with frustration.

Second half - what a pillock of the ref. The first was predictable - it looks as if he's gone in horribly, although Savage did get the ball - but how the second one can be considered a booking is beyond me. Savage had no time to react, his arms were, if not glued to his side certainly they weren't raised, and from that moment on the ref had lost control. There was no consistency in his bookings and several incidents far worse were dealt with much more leniantly. When Boro got their equaliser I thought they'd win. Gray again made his goal-costing mistake, managing to loose his man in a terrible display of marking. Amaturish doesn't begin to discribe it. Fortunately we've got Bellamy and rovers seemed fired up by the injustice of it all. It was a lovely pass from MGP and the finish by Bellamy was just awesome. If he had a top class strike partner 4th would've almost been a certainty.

Then we defended grittily and prevented Boro from having any real chances. Very chuffed about this. Reid ran his socks off (and got MOM by teletext) and was one of our star performers along with our goalscorers, never giving the boro players any time on the ball. With regards to subs I was a bit surprised Emerton made way for the Axe (although unsurprised Mokoena came on) as Pongolle didn't really know what he was doing in midfield. Fortunately Bentley replaced him. Defensively with 10 men though it was as solid as performance as seen in a long time.

Overall a tough game to get 3 points from, but one a top team would look to win. We did that despite playing with 10 men for much of the second half, a credit to Hughes and the lads. If we can keep this up we can make europe.

We sit in the Jack Walker Upper Outer, Darwin End so we were in an excellent position to see the first two Blackburn goals.

Bellamy's first was un believeable. It was as good as anything I have seen at Ewood. I didn't think he had the space to get a shot in and thought he was going to lay the ball off to someone more central. That was a goal made out of nothing.

You could see that MGP facied his chances when he took the free kick. He didn't have much to shoot at though. Presumably, Middlesborough have seen him play before and realise what he can do. They still couldn't stop him though.

I think that we played a mixture of not too well and very well. When we went down to ten men and they equalised, I thought we would loose. When the score was 3-2 I thought we defended and played really well. From 2 -1 up I thought we were well on top. I was very dissapointed that we let them back in if after going ahead. At 1 -0 up I thought we should have closed them out of the game and won comfortably 3 nil or so. I thought we were a far better team than them.

However it was another exciting day at Ewood and am looking forward to the next match.

Cant make my mind up about Pongolle ( spelling ? ). I thought he looked good against spurs and really useful. I only half agree with blueblood. He was in the right place at the right time but it didn't quite come off for him in the first half and he didn't really worry their defence although he threatened to on a number of occassions.

Can I just echo Montfort's post regarding Bellamy's first goal? I was almost sure that Bellamy would lay the ball to Savage but instead out of nowhere he curled one in. And you know it wasn't a one-off as he scored another beauty to win the match (unlike Emerton's belter vs Charlton at Ewood where I still wonder how Emerton managed to conjure that out of nowhere).

Man, today I had a bit of a rude awakening. Bought the Times as usual and checked the football pages and in the Premiership section, they had a feature on the football related events on a certain date in history. Today's was February 28th 1953. The article started by mentioning the shock of the day was Everton who were languishing in the bottom half of the Second Division beating Aston Villa of the First in the FA Cup. It went on to to explain how Birmingham employed dirty strong arm tactics vs Spurs. The league table was also published and I was curious to see who was top of the league at that time.

I almost spat my coffee out.

Burnley Monkeys. ph34r.gif

**Sorry if this has been mentioned already but after a quick look I couldn't find anything**

My Dad made the point today that for Rovers' 2nd goal the foul on Bellamy that brought about the freekick, looked to be given for obstruction. If so it should have been given as an indirect freekick. If this is the case was it valid as it didn't touch anyone on the way in? I'm not complaining of course I just thought it was an interesting point.

I'm not 100% sure of the rules around this so please correct me if any of this is wrong.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.