BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 3 Middlesbrough 2

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't be bothered looking through all the previous posts - but has anyone mentioned what a good game Reid had ? I thought he was excellent - and is starting to look the genuine atricle again in centre-mid. In fact, if Tugay regains his form from earlier in the season I would prefer Reid to Savage.

Also thought Pedersen had a good game.

Zurab tackle following Friedal's "wonder" save - as good as Nelsens in the Villa match ? From my view in the BE it was an unbelievable challenge.

As for Pongo - sorry at this moment in time I would play Bentley alongside Bellamy. His first touch was very poor - indeed we may as well have been playing with 10 men for parts of the first half.

For those having a go at the attendance - lets not forget the backing that those that did attend gave. Excellent response to Hughes' prompting rover.gif

Edited by DavidMailsTightPerm

rover.gif were are the rovers anoraks,come on lads and lasses when was the last time we won with 10 men tinykit.gif

392214[/snapback]

Last time I remember was when we beat Arsenal away 2-1 with Flitty being sent off. However, we were already in the lead at that point. Are we including games where a late sending off hasn't changed the scoreline, or are we talking about beign 10 men then going on to score a winner?

rover.gif i would think winning with ten men means that the team wins having survived a good percentage off the game with ten men,i would say 20 mins plus,you could be 4 up and have someone sent off in the 70th minute,but thats not really winning with ten men,btw saturday counts tinykit.gif

As for Pongo - sorry at this moment in time I would play Bentley alongside Bellamy. His first touch was very poor - indeed we may as well have been playing with 10 men for parts of the first half.

392217[/snapback]

That's interesting. Obviously you were at the game so you're a better judge but the commentators from Boro were going on about how his first touch had been so impressive and one of the major problems they couldn't deal with.

It's absolute rubbish that waggy and you can tell em so.  Last 2 weeks we have been on £15 tickets ffs!  Transparent gits!  Do you think that if we get relegated to whichever league it is that averages £300 per week that they would go then?  Would they bollokxk.  They'd say 'I'm not paying good money to watch that conference shyte!' 

Truth is they are searching for excuses to spend as much of their £300 quid on ale as possible.  How many times do people say 'if fags go up again in the budget I'm packing in!'  and never do.... Well its the same with ale.  Their kids kids will simply end up supporting Man Utd.  I bet when they are in Benidorm and somebody mentions footy they'll be the biggest Rovers fans the world has ever seen.

392011[/snapback]

agree with everything you say.

these people cant really call themselves fans. they are the opposite of fanatical.

apathy makes me furious!

That's interesting. Obviously you were at the game so you're a better judge but the commentators from Boro were going on about how his first touch had been so impressive and one of the major problems they couldn't deal with.

392272[/snapback]

Interesting to hear the opposition perspective - maybe he just looked poor alongside Bellamy - which most strikers would at this moment in time biggrin.gif

On a similar vein, what did they think of Emo - football genius or what laugh.gif

USAB  Please don't expect others to do what you are disinclined to do...... namely providing a share of the necessary funding for BRFC!

391889[/snapback]

Clever use of the word necessary. If my money is not good enough perhaps I should start following MU or Chelski. If you have followed my posts anywhere you will see there is little criticism, if any, from me regarding attandances or no shows.

On a different topic, this link made me laugh.

I think the best bit was;

"And the handball, deliberate or not, doesn't matter....."

Surely anybody involved with football needs to understand the rules? Handball has to be deliberate! Is it too much to ask that an average player like Boateng, with the amount he gets paid, could at least employ someone to teach him the rules?

Pongolle looks very good to me and the only problem he has is that he always looks to pass to his teammates where as sometimes he needs to be abit more greedy and have a few more attempts at gaol.

392273[/snapback]

Our reaction is that Pongolle "doesn't look like a striker". A more authentic striker would not choose some of the passes he makes, and would be more focused with some of the good situations he gets into. He's a reasonable player, but it's not clear what his best position is. A bit like Bentley.

rover.gif were are the rovers anoraks,come on lads and lasses when was the last time we won with 10 men tinykit.gif

392214[/snapback]

Waggy,

I found a match we played at Ewood against sunderland in the 4th round of the FA cup Jan 23 1999.We won 1- nil and Jeff Kenna was sent off in the 63rd minute.Keith Gillespie scored a short handed goal in the 67th minute.(BTW,played before an attendance of 30,125!)

Does anyone recall any other details?

Florida Rover

PS our FAcup run that year was ended in a replay against newcastle as saha (!) scored the lone goal

Waggy,

I found a match we played at Ewood against sunderland in the 4th round of the FA cup Jan 23 1999.We won 1- nil and Jeff Kenna was sent off in the 63rd minute.Keith Gillespie scored a short handed goal in the 67th minute.(BTW,played before an attendance of 30,125!)

Does anyone recall any other details?

Florida Rover

PS our  FAcup run that year was ended in a replay against newcastle as saha (!) scored the lone goal

392420[/snapback]

I remember it, when Sunderland were walking the Div 1 title. Blake basically wrestled defender on the deck and Gillespie hammered it home into top corner in front of Blackburn End

Sunderland had 8,000

I agree but until the exiled fans start going to the games it's a bit hypocritcial to be having go at other fans for not going.

392463[/snapback]

Are you saying FLB that the fact that you don't go to games because you are in China but would certainly go if you lived within 100 miles (or whatever figure) of the ground means that you can't say that those living in Blackburn who decide to watch it on the pub and spend as much money as they would to go to the stadium on drink instead and then sit and complain about the club being too expensive, players getting too much money, team not being good enough or whatever their excuse for not going shouldn't start turning up and supporting the club in the stadium?

Exiled fans don't have the chance to go to games, but I'm sure most, if not all, do whenever possible. If we set that as the basis of our complaints then in a sense it is no different to someone living in the Blackburn area who is a season ticket holder. We simply don't have the chance to get there, we wish we could. Most of us are probably jealous more than anything of those who squander the opportunity to go and regularly watch the team they support when a lot of us put in so much effort to only see one or two games.

392272[/snapback]

A bit of both really . Pongolle's first touch generally was impressive and controlled the ball effectively . His second was bloody awful and lacked any kind of conviction and belief that he knew what to do with the ball . Maybe one more game with Bellamy up front but if he's not producing the goods then maybe bring back Dickov or Bentley .

Id bring Dickov back, I think hes one of the most underated players we've had, playing alongside some better players appears to have done him the world of good. Plus me and Pringlihnio met him after a match, a very nice man.

A bit of both really . Pongolle's first touch generally was impressive and controlled the ball effectively . His second was bloody awful and lacked any kind of conviction and belief that he knew what to do with the ball . Maybe one more game with Bellamy up front but if he's not producing the goods then maybe bring back Dickov or Bentley .

392701[/snapback]

I thought his first touch in his first game was excellent, but that he faded in that game. More recently, I don't think his first touch has been as good and not as good s I expected with his provenance.

Are you saying FLB that the fact that you don't go to games because you are in China but would certainly go if you lived within 100 miles (or whatever figure) of the ground means that you can't say that those living in Blackburn who decide to watch it on the pub and spend as much money as they would to go to the stadium on drink instead and then sit and complain about the club being too expensive, players getting too much money, team not being good enough or whatever their excuse for not going shouldn't start turning up and supporting the club in the stadium?

Exiled fans don't have the chance to go to games, but I'm sure most, if not all, do whenever possible. If we set that as the basis of our complaints then in a sense it is no different to someone  living in the Blackburn area who is a season ticket holder. We simply don't have the chance to get there, we wish we could. Most of us are probably jealous more than anything of those who squander the opportunity to go and regularly watch the team they support when a lot of us put in so much effort to only see one or two games.

392659[/snapback]

Isnt this getting dull?

Maybe for you stu but it isn't nice to have your support and contribution to the club questioned. As the topic had continued onto the same page I posted on I considered it fair enough to continue it. If you aren't interested then when you see where the post is going simply scroll down or go to a different topic.

Exiled fans don't have the chance to go to games, but I'm sure most, if not all, do whenever possible. If we set that as the basis of our complaints then in a sense it is no different to someone  living in the Blackburn area who is a season ticket holder. We simply don't have the chance to get there, we wish we could. Most of us are probably jealous more than anything of those who squander the opportunity to go and regularly watch the team they support when a lot of us put in so much effort to only see one or two games.

392659[/snapback]

I'm just sick and tired of people complaining about others not going. Really I can't see how saying people are lazy for not going will get them to start going again. It's counter-productive IMO.

Anyway...let's forget it, been done to death wink.gif Sunderland to look forward to! rover.gif

If thats the case american then I apologise to you both.  thumbs-up.gif It just gets frustrating sitting in a half empty stadium (God only knows how many would be there if we were threatened with relegation again) and then hearing the fans  criticised by our exiled brethren who contribute sweet FA in finacial terms.  You must realise that my feelings of frustration and helplessness with regard to ever falling attendances are not new, they were forged in the mid sixties and that lesson appears to have beeen largely forgotten nowadays.

391960[/snapback]

You constantly harp on about us contributing nothing.

In reality you know sweet FA about what we contribute.

So kindly desist from your snide comments smile.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.