BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Souness On Sky

To be fair I didn't, but immediately after posting I realised the previous post was tongue in cheek, as the rest of the thread probably is, so as silly as I may now look, atleast we have a half decent overview of Soueys CV... biggrin.giftongue.gif

Incidently, for the record, I like Greame; He's a good egg.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...

There was a Scottish trio on Sky Sports for the Arsenal V Liverpool tie in the Champions League, with Andy Gray in the commentary box joined up with Gordon Strachan and Graeme Souness in the studio for the match at The Emirates.

Mr Souness was critical of Liverpool's defending during the half-time analysis on Sky, suggesting that Liverpool didn't do their homework properly. This is the man whose Liverpool side he was in charge of, conceded 4 goals against Chesterfield at Anfield in the League Cup in 1992. (It finished up a 4-4 draw.)

This is the man whose Liverpool side lost 5-1 to Coventry in 1992 - the biggest defeat that Liverpool have ever had in the Premiership, since it was formed 16 years ago.

This is the man whose Liverpool side were humiliated in the 2nd Round of the European Cup Winners Cup to Spartak Moscow in 1992/93, conceding 4 goals in the 1st leg and losing 6-2 on aggregate. A man whose Liverpool team lost a leg in the UEFA Cup to the mighty Kuusysi Lahti in 1991 (though Liverpool did win the tie overall on aggregate.)

Souness is the man who lost his job as Liverpool manager when they were beaten at home by Bristol City in the FA Cup in 1994. A man who is still loathed by many on Merseyside not only for the way he dismantled a Liverpool side who had won the League title in 1990, but worse than that, for the way that he caused further pain and anguish to the families of the Hillsborough victims with his crass and insensitive decision to pose for photos and give an exclusive interview to The Sun newspaper on the 3rd Anniversary of the Hillsborough tragedy.

I don't think Rafa Benitez needs any lectures from Mr Souness on what Liverpool are not doing properly.

I'll always remember the time when Rovers were stuck in the middle of a massive relegation battle in 2004 and just a few days before we had a huge game at home to Portsmouth in the Premiership (which we lost 1-2) , Souness had actually travelled to London to be a pundit for the midweek Chelsea V Arsenal Champions League quarter-final 1st leg at Stamford Bridge, where he was slagging off some of the players on Sky.

I thought to myself at the time - what a bloody cheek from Souey. This was a man in serious danger at the time of sending Rovers crashing out of the Premiership and yet he was criticising two of the top teams in the country.

Ian St John actually made a similar point in his autobiography "The Saint" which I read last year. St John said in his book that Souness lost credibility among football folk when his Rovers team were performing so badly in the Premiership during a relegation battle, and yet he was still pontificating as a Sky pundit and slagging off other teams.

Perhaps I'll be called an "ungrateful barsteward" by Flopsy for daring to criticise the man who won us the Worthington Cup in 2002. Yet the sad truth is that Souness undid much of his previous good work in the couple of years afterwards. He nearly sent our beloved club crashing into oblivion - a blow from which we'd have found it enormously difficult to recover from.

It was only thanks to Freddy Shepherd taking Souness away from our club - following Shepherd's ludicrous decision to sack Bobby Robson after he had finished in the top 5 in three successive seasons. (Graeme not surprisingly took Newcastle to mid-table mediocrity after wasting tens of millions on the likes of Boumsong and Albert Luque.)

If Souness had not been taken away from our club by Shepherd and if the astute services of Mark Hughes hadn't been hired by Rovers to replace him, then God knows what the consequences for our club would be now.

And here was me hoping that the lack of any recent sightings meant he had gone from (public) life forever. Unfortunately not. Probably in that deluded world thinks he still has something to offer to football. Glad no-one but Sky- who aren't known for being the brightest- agree.

Mr Souness was critical of Liverpool's defending during the half-time analysis on Sky, suggesting that Liverpool didn't do their homework properly. This is the man whose Liverpool side he was in charge of, conceded 4 goals against Chesterfield at Anfield in the League Cup in 1992. (It finished up a 4-4 draw.)

This is the man whose Liverpool side:

- lost 5-1 to Coventry in 1992 - the biggest defeat that Liverpool have ever had in the Premiership, since it was formed 16 years ago.

- were humiliated in the 2nd Round of the European Cup Winners Cup to Spartak Moscow in 1992/93, conceding 4 goals in the 1st leg and losing 6-2 on aggregate.

- lost a leg in the UEFA Cup to the mighty Kuusysi Lahti in 1991 (though Liverpool did win the tie overall on aggregate.)

- were beaten at home by Bristol City in the FA Cup in 1994.

I don't think Rafa Benitez needs any lectures from Mr Souness on what Liverpool are not doing properly.

You're quite right. The way Liverpool demolished Barnsley (and Havant and Waterlooville for that matter) under Benitez was very impressive. :blink:

Souness criticising Rafa's reign as manager is more acceptable than any views that you have on football issues - he's entitled to his opinion and, as one of the most successful players ever to play in this country, happens to be someone whos views I think are worth listening to. So what exactly is your point?

And here was me hoping that the lack of any recent sightings meant he had gone from (public) life forever. Unfortunately not. Probably in that deluded world thinks he still has something to offer to football. Glad no-one but Sky- who aren't known for being the brightest- agree.

Deluded world is funny coming from you!!

Deluded world is funny coming from you!!

Has anyone hired him in any actual footballing capacity since his brilliant job with Newcastle-where, unlike with us he WASN'T left with the nucleus of a good squad to destroy? Didn't think so. Just accept that the footballing world has seen something which your Souness-coloured glasses haven't and let it go at that. And I was one of the few who said we'd be able to find someone better. Remember this year we're disappointed at not really going for fourth, not delighted at making 17th. And people are now referring to Mark Hughes making the odd "Souness-like" decision. Not exactly flattering to your hero, but apt!!

Bleedin nora..

Just remember the good times, had Greame Souness not have taken over at Rovers we wouldn't be where we are now, he reinvented us.

He's a nice bloke, always had time for other people, he's just a bit of a tough barsteward, but that's that.

He has certainly achieved enough in the game to qualify to be a pundit on Sky Sports.

I'm with Jan on this, as everyone knows.

I don't hate Souness personally but I think that he is a bad manager who benefited from the circumstances at Blackburn Rovers to somewhat redeem his managerial CV. Otherwise, since leaving Rangers, he has regularly flopped, and even abroad, he was by no means outstanding.

He did good things for us. But consider:

Sgt Wilko won the league with Leeds

Graham Taylor took Villa to 2nd in his first spell.

Glenn Hoddle got Swindon promoted to the PL, FA cup final Chelsea, League Cup final Spurs

Peter Reid took Sunderland to 7th in the league and promoted.

Glenn Roeder took West Ham 7th(?)

Steve F'ing McClaren took Middlesbrough to the UEFA f'ing Cup Finals!!!!!,

Sven won the Scudetto,

Dennis Wise took Millwall to the FA Cup finals

Bryan Robson performed the great escape with West Brom and took Boro to the Premiership, FA Cup final, League Cup final

John Gregory taking Villa to 6th, European footy and FA Cup Final

Gerard Houillier won the plastic treble with Liverpool

Iain Dowie took Palace from the base of Champ to the Prem

As the above evidence, circumstances can elevate an individual far beyond their talents merit. I haven't even included Winston Churchill on that list. Souness' Rovers achievements, imo, rank alongside the above in being considerably derived from fortunate circumstances - more, certainly, than from talent.

Edit: It's only fair to point out that I know little of Wilko, GT and Hoddle's early achievements and have only included them because the trio are now roundly mocked by most. Perhaps, they do not deserve to be there.

Edited by rover6

Anyone who keeps Redknapp off my TV is fine by me. He is the true definition of the word plonker.

I am sure he is going to break out the five knuckle shuffle one of these days when John Terry or Frank Lampard get mentioned to him one to many times.

You must be sh*tting me right?

Is this apart from SEVERAL European Cups, League titles, FA Cups and League Cups whilst being captain of Britains most successful team ever, as well as captain of prbably the best ever Scottish national team as a player?

Adding a managerial trophy cabinet consisting of numerous Scottish titles and Cups (Some of which as a player manager), two English domestic Cups and a promotion, Foreign domestic trophies as manager of some of europes biggest clubs?

Think what you want of Souey as a person, but as far as CV's go, his is probably the envy of most people who have been involved in football at any decent level.

Not forgetting he turned our club round that was heading further and further into oblivion.

If you recall it was like turning round the Queen Mary.

The players were yellow and he installed fire and steel into our backbone and re-built the team.

Take Keith Gillespie for example, who else could have got what he got out of him ?

IF every manager Rovers employed left the club in a better state than when they took over I'd be forever happy

Don't forget to add to that list:

Fabio Capello (cheat)

Alex Ferguson (lucky treble)

Mourinho (bought his achievements)

Rafa Benitez (lucky)

Wenger (good scouts)

Sir Alf Ramsey (only won WC on home soil)

Sir Bobby Robson (grey hair)

I'm with Jan on this, as everyone knows.

I don't hate Souness personally but I think that he is a bad manager who benefited from the circumstances at Blackburn Rovers to somewhat redeem his managerial CV. Otherwise, since leaving Rangers, he has regularly flopped, and even abroad, he was by no means outstanding.

He did good things for us. But consider:

Sgt Wilko won the league with Leeds

Graham Taylor took Villa to 2nd in his first spell.

Glenn Hoddle got Swindon promoted to the PL, FA cup final Chelsea, League Cup final Spurs

Peter Reid took Sunderland to 7th in the league and promoted.

Glenn Roeder took West Ham 7th(?)

Steve F'ing McClaren took Middlesbrough to the UEFA f'ing Cup Finals!!!!!,

Sven won the Scudetto,

Dennis Wise took Millwall to the FA Cup finals

Bryan Robson performed the great escape with West Brom and took Boro to the Premiership, FA Cup final, League Cup final

John Gregory taking Villa to 6th, European footy and FA Cup Final

Gerard Houillier won the plastic treble with Liverpool

Iain Dowie took Palace from the base of Champ to the Prem

As the above evidence, circumstances can elevate an individual far beyond their talents merit. I haven't even included Winston Churchill on that list. Souness' Rovers achievements, imo, rank alongside the above in being considerably derived from fortunate circumstances - more, certainly, than from talent.

Edit: It's only fair to point out that I know little of Wilko, GT and Hoddle's early achievements and have only included them because the trio are now roundly mocked by most. Perhaps, they do not deserve to be there.

You obviously know nothing at all about what Britain was like during WW2 either. I can confidently state that there is no other politician that could have done the job that Sir Winston did as Prime Minister in those terrible times. Absolutely none; and what is more I will also say that we would have lost the war early on but for the leadership and morale boosting powers of Churchill; to say nothing of his personal influence over President Roosevelt in the days before the USA came into the war. He does not deserve to be there either!!!

Edited by Fife Rover

Bleedin nora..

Just remember the good times, had Greame Souness not have taken over at Rovers we wouldn't be where we are now, he reinvented us.

He's a nice bloke, always had time for other people, he's just a bit of a tough barsteward, but that's that.

He has certainly achieved enough in the game to qualify to be a pundit on Sky Sports.

I was one who defended Souness almost until the end. On reflection I think a lot of that had to do with the Promotion and the Worthy cup win. His charisma also, I think, had me fooled too. The confidence with which he speaks is very alluring. His whole persona has a way of making you think he is something special, thankfully Fat Freddy fell into the same trap I did.

Having had time to ponder and look over what he did my views have changed a bit. Again on reflection, Jansen tragedy aside, he sold two of our "crown jewels" on he got his hands on some of the funds and made this team his own, well that's when it went tits up.

I am sure as I am sitting here had he not left we'd have gone down. Thank god for Sparky and Fat Freddy.

Edited by USABlue

I met Souness in 2001 when they were training out in Dubai and he came across as a really good bloke. He had loads of time for the handful or Rovers fans that came to watch them and even invited us for a drink at the Dubai World Cup later that evening (which I obviously obliged)!

I think he's a very good pundit and says it how it is, if not a little instense at times. As for what he did for Rovers, well he was losing the polt and left at the right time, but he got us back up, signed some great players and brought us a trophy. He should be remembered as a good Rovers manager!

I liked GS most of his time with us. He did well to sign Brad, Tugay, Ped, Neil etc but it was all soured by the Ferguson sting. I'd wager Souness made a fortune out of BRFC over some of his dodgier dealings. Grabbi, Baggio and the two dealings with Rangers have left a very bad taste.

You obviously know nothing at all about what Britain was like during WW2 either. I can confidently state that there is no other politician that could have done the job that Sir Winston did as Prime Minister in those terrible times. Absolutely none; and what is more I will also say that we would have lost the war early on but for the leadership and morale boosting powers of Churchill; to say nothing of his personal influence over President Roosevelt in the days before the USA came into the war. He does not deserve to be there either!!!

Apart from the fact he enjoyed recreational drugs.

Surely you must detest that facet of his personal life?

:)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.