BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] General Horse Racing Thread

"Typical" National winner:

- Carries 11 stone or less - no winner with more than 11st 1lb since 1983

- Aged 8-12 (not too young, not too old)

- Won over 3m+

- Won in a field of 12 or more

- No French bred has since 1909.

- Must be an experienced chaser (more than ten runs, more than two seasons chasing)

- Had four to seven runs this season (as every winner bar Miinehoma since 1990 has)

- 14 of the last 18 winners came from the first 8 in the market at starting prices.

- Placed in the first three that season prior to the Grand National

or alternatively ....... use a pin.

I'm going for Backstage e/w.

"Typical" National winner:

- No French bred has since 1909.

Last year's winner Mon Mome was french bred and was the main reason behind the big price as everyone ruled it out because of the trend of no french bred winners since 1909.

Lottery of a race I've gone with Niche Market and Irish Raptor E/W.

Best of luck everyone.

I've backed a few of the horses at various prices as I had a good day yesterday so have house money to play with:

Black Apalachi is the main one I've picked, so hoping he will be the winner. One of my horses that I always back.

Dream Alliance is a very interesting one and a nice horse with good odds. I'd expect the odds to come in significantly, so if you want you could just bet at 33/1 now and probably lay at around 25 which I think might be the starting price. Irish Raptor, Ballyfitz, Snowy Morning, Ballyholland and Made in Taipan are all worth a look E/W.

No point ignoring Big Fella Thanks and Don't Push It could do it for McCoy this year. Any one of those and I'll be a happy man.

Dream Alliance is a very interesting one and a nice horse with good odds. I'd expect the odds to come in significantly, so if you want you could just bet at 33/1 now and probably lay at around 25 which I think might be the starting price.

out to 40s...shows what I know, but like it even more at that price.

I've backed Maljimar E/W at 40's at the start of the week and also had £3.50 on The Package at 95/1 on Betfair back in January.

I backed Big Fella Thanks last year (see back in this thread) and he ran well but didnt seem to last home and faed into 6th. I'll be a bit cheesed off if he wins this year.

I'm off out today but will hopefully find a nice pub somewhere to watch it in !

I don't normally bet but I had £5 sitting in a Bet365 account from ages ago when England weren't on TV and the only way of watching was online. Bet365 had it on if you opened an account with a fiver. Thought I'd pick 5 horses for the Grand National at 50p each way. Last of the big spenders! Cue me walking away with nearly £17! Thanks Tony McCoy, I got in at 22/1 and also picked Big Fella Thanks... :lol: Nothing ventured, nothing gained! :lol:

Just watched it through again and thoroughly pleased for McCoy who is a genuine decent bloke. Well done to all who won.

I was just beginning to get excited with Maljimar as I stood to win quite a bit if it even finished in the first 5 but unfortunately it slithered and fell at Bechers second time around.

• 1 year later...

Been a while since I bothered to resurrect an old thread...

Going to Chester races on Saturday for stag do. I've never been before so I'll have no idea what I'm doing, but I don't want to appear tight so I'll have to put some healthy bets on - no 50p each way.

Is there a good place that I can read about the horses to give myself half a chance of winning? I have no idea where to start.

I'm by no means a racing expert, but I always found "Newsboy" in the Daily Mirror to be pretty good.

I wouldn't worry too much about the stakes on the course bookies - most usually start at £2.00 nowadays.

Edited by Ray-Von
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.