BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Breakaway Is Coming

I doubt the G14 will sail off into their own world- they are not strong enough to do so and secure their financial position.

What the current scurmishes are about is extending their power base so that they will be able to call all the shots in the future with a crippling effect on the rump of football.

Unfortunately, they probably have an extremely good legal case with the Charleroi and Lyon claims and once the insurance/compensation door is open they will be able to press on for payment for the players appearing in internationals.

All this is pointing to international competition becoming as devalued as the FA Cup.

The best bet for UEFA/FIFA would be to go for a long and messy appeal if/when they lose the Charleroi case. Time is on the side of the football authorities and not the G14.

As time goes by, there will be more rich and powerful clubs in Eastern Europe hellbent on either joining or wrecking the G14 whilst Chelsea will only grow in strength outside the G14 unfortunately. Also by the laws of averages, more of the G14 will return to being average mid-table sides- not strong enough for regular European competition but not bad enough to get relegated and hence be kicked out of the G14.

I reckon billy castell has come up with a really good solution with the banning of G14 players from the internationel tournos... how many players would wanna play for the scum if the couldnt win the Euro championship or the world cup.

Dont now if FIFA would, or could, do it cos its out of the territory but UEFA should, and perhaps would, as creating a euroleague would be breaking away from UEFAs organisation - and therefor those choosing to play for the breakaway clubs has alsochosen to brak away. And wouldnt the national assosiation of the players then be entitled to compensation for losing thier assets that they have sent money on developing....

This potential euroleague will indeed f up footie as we know it. And what really pisses me of is that no one in the press jumps on this and condem it publicly

Wow, I came up with a good idea within a rant ?. I'm so angry with the G14 right now, I am close to demanding public beheadings. As for Chelsea, and the fact they are out of the G14, well Abramovic may end up making a fatal error and challenge Putin, or his nominated successor, and end up in the next cell to Khordokovsky. Or he gets bored when Mourinho fails to bring back the European Cup next season and leaves.

I have also been waiting for a while for G14 to get some stick. It is in international interest to shut these clubs up. Yes, they are the most wealthy, but thay have gotten that way by beating the rest over the years. UEFA is the governing body and they are finally doing something that was needed a long time ago. Let the big clubs make their money in our league, if they want to make more let them go and be greedy, but ban them from anything worthwhile.

Everton v Liverpool over the G14. I would imagine Parry enjoyed saying "getting into Europe is easy- all you have to do is win football matches" given Everton's attempts this season.

David Gill has denied that the G14 are planning a break away and also reiterates that G14 membership is closed. Gill says G14 want to go back to 17 games a season in the CL and that the International calendar remains an issue.

It is clear the G14 feel that UEFA and FIFA are the softest target to shoot at and that is where they are aiming in the short term.

It is clear the G14 feel that UEFA and FIFA are the softest target to shoot at and that is where they are aiming in the short term.

393566[/snapback]

A bit of reform in Uefa and Fifa wouldn't be a bad idea in my opinion. G14 are not the people to do it though. They are anti-competitive by their closed and very elitist existence.

Still I would like too see the battle fought, I envisage a bloody nose for the federations (sparking reform) and a crushing defeat (potentially to football wilderness for a couple of seasons for G14 members).

• 1 year later...

Platinnin has made a plea for the G14 to disband itself and drop the Charleroi/Lyons cases for compensation for injured players. He has offered a football strategy board within UEFA at which the big clubs would have their say.

The G14 was/is planning to expand itself. Chelsea, Celtic, Rangers and Accrington Stanley are amongst the clubs being invited to join.

I agree with Theno and BluePhil, and who ever suggested the removal of G14 players from international football.

The removal of the top 4 teams from the prem would all of a sudden mean that the league was competative again. The TV money will drop, but so will players wages. I would also expect the breakaway league to fail due to the inability of fans to travel around europe every week.

I would also expect England to become better because the players who will be picked will actually care about playing and certain egos will not be available to ###### it all up.

Let them go and don't let the door hit their arse on the way out

Suprising to see Bayer Leverkeusen in there.

One would have thought that the eyties proven guilty of cheating would have been excluded. Then again........nah... football doesn't work like that does it?

I wonder what stunt WHU will pull to get in? :rolleyes:

Edited by thenodrog

This seems like an almost suicidal act by the G14. while CL money makes up a large amount for the big clubs they really depend upon their domestic leagues and cups to keep them ticking over. The rest of the clubs in the Prem are already hacked off its so uncompetitive. If they try to force the issue on this there will be a mighty backlash.

But seriously, I do believe this will ruine football if they do it. I feel so strongly about it I might do a protest against outside wherever they make the decision! :angry::rover:

It's as bad as saying all the teams currently outside the Prem cannot get in and will stay outside the Prem! :angry:

Actually, it's like saying there should only be the Prem teams! :angry:

In fact, it's ten times worse than that! :angry:

As for kicking the G14 out, not sure about that. I would probably get more satisfaction out of seeing us finish in a Champions League spot with the three G14 clubs and Chelsea in than winning a League without them. Where's the satisfaction to be gained from that? You almost might as well be playing Burnley.

It would have been a nice day out at Wembley winning the FA cup though , Rev :rover:

Banning players from national competition would certainly go a long way to pulling these guys heads in.

I know this is a Rovers board but what wonderful anti-sentiment, I am sure eevry supporter of those clubs outside of the G14 would eb saying the same thing.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/G14stinks/

get signed up folks.

The petitions statement is

"The members of G14 have for to long now tried to take control of the game of football in europe, I want to boycott anything to do with these 18 clubs,Real Madrid,AC Milan,Ajax,Liverpool,Juventus,Bayern Munich,Inter MIlan,Barcelona,Man United,Borussia Dortmund,PSV,Porto,Marseille,PSG,Arsenal,Leverkusen,Lyon,Valencia, we feel its about time UEFA took a stand against these clubs.

European football is being ruined, and monopolised by these 18 clubs to the detriment of anyone else.

Seeded draws, clubs not qualifying but allowed into the ECL anyway.

The balance of power needs to be more equal accross the board and not just these 18 clubs."

Edited by Moppy

Got an e-mail from that site, so I guess it wen through. I also sent this to UEFA:

Dear Uefa Employee,

Before I express my concerns, as mentioned in the title of my e-mail, I shall briefly introduce myself. As you can see, my name is ________, and I am a fan of Blackburn. It is not an overly successful club, but is comfortably in the Premiership in England, and has hopes of UEFA Cup qualification for most seasons. With the introductions over, now I shall elaborate my deep concerns about the G14 clubs.

I believe that the G14 clubs are ruining the game of football through a combination of greed, arrogance and bullying, and unless an organisation such as yourself, and/or FIFA directly challenge them, their power will grow at your expense. The qualification of your 'Champions' League competition has become a self perpetuating oligarchy, as it seems only the G14 clubs succeed, and thus receive the extremely generous prize money.

Therefore, the 'big' clubs get bigger at the expense of every other team. Indeed, it seems that the constant threats from the G14 clubs to pull out of UEFA competitions have created a situation in which the majority of the revenue has gone to the top clubs, whilst other clubs such as Boston United, Bournemouth and Scarborough have either gone into administration or flirted with extinction in recent years. Whilst in some cases it may have been due to financial mismanagement, the fact that most of the revenue is sucked up towards the top divisions, and more specifically those who qualify for the 'Champions' League year after year is unhealthy for the game. Of course, distribution of income within a domestic league structure is a matter for the relevant FA, and not UEFA. However, even within top division of my country, England, there are only 4 teams that qualify for the 'Champions' League every year, due to the majority of the revenue going to the 'Champions' League, whilst the UEFA Cup has been demoted to a sideshow for 'Champions' League failures and everyone else.

This situation in which the same clubs get the vast majority of the money is obviously unhealthy, as those who are not in the 'closed shop' system that the G14 have helped create struggle to compete, unless they have a billionaire with a spending habit. This will in the long term create a stale product in the Champions League, as the same teams will reach the semi-finals, and there will be no new clubs pushing through and making a name for themselves. By giving in to the playground tactics of the G14, the most prestigious tournament in world football has become a circus for a privilaged few. For those who do not support any of these teams it has become very tedious, and the knock on effect in England at least is that all the domestic competitions are won by a small group of 4 teams (Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester United and Chelsea).

To revitalise the European scene, a direct stand against the G14 is needed. Spread the revenue and media resources more evenly between your two competitions, boost the status of the UEFA Cup through this proposal, and by reversing the trend of 'Champions' League failures dropping into the UEFA CUP. And finally, if the G14 ever threaten to leave the UEFA structure again, call their bluff and tell them to get out. Then, with the co-operation with FIFA, ban all the clubs and players from any FIFA affliiated competition. Let them have their Super Euro League. The glamour of playing a top foreign team will fade once it comes about every season.

I know this is a long e-mail, but as a fan of football, I implore you to either whip the G14 clubs into line and create a more level playing field, or remove the cancerous presence for the sake of the game.

Regards,

Sadly I got into the flow and made a few spelling mistakes I have since corrected. Nothing will come of this of course, but I felt I had to do it. I'll send one to FIFA as well. Waste of time, but never mind.

Thank you, I just thought I'd do something rather than just moan. The only e-mail address I could find is info@uefa.com, which is probably the wrong one to send it to, but I couldn't find any more specific addresses on the site. I have it saved, with the spelling corrections if any of you guys want to flood their site with these e-mails just to annoy them.

By the way, I've just checked, and they have not replied yet. At least the FA sent a personal response when I wrote in an e-mail that Wembley was the wrong place for the new stadium. That did impress me.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.