BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] W-e-m-b-l-e-y- Is Falling Down,

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our problem was hiring English labour, should have sent a ship full of Paki's and Indians to do the job biggrin.gif

If you look at figures and the final product there is no way you can go past the Germans, what they have done to their stadiums for the WC on that budget is amazing.

192 million euros for the Gelsenkirchen Stadium retractable roof, extendable pitch and world class facilites, the reconstruction of the Berlin Olympic 242 million Euros, Waldstadion 126 million euros, they could have built 3 or 4 Wembleys for the same cost.

392771[/snapback]

Why use racist terms in your post? Just thought I'd point out that it's not exactly best practice, especially as the club are actively trying to get more asians down to Ewood on matchdays.

Our problem was hiring English labour, should have sent a ship full of Paki's and Indians to do the job biggrin.gif

392771[/snapback]

An Aussie laid the drains for our nursing home.

Two months later, after several floods, they were relaid by a proper workman.

Water flows uphill in Australia apparently.

If you look at figures and the final product there is no way you can go past the Germans, what they have done to their stadiums for the WC on that budget is amazing.

192 million euros for the Gelsenkirchen Stadium retractable roof, extendable pitch and world class facilites, the reconstruction of the Berlin Olympic 242 million Euros, Waldstadion 126 million euros, they could have built 3 or 4 Wembleys for the same cost.

392771[/snapback]

Can't really go wrong with German engineering really. Should've got them in instead, oh and built it in Birmingham instead laugh.gif

Steve Kelly, of the GMB union, said: "When the pipes are laid, they have to be supported properly underneath, especially where they join.

"But it doesn't appear as if this happened and the pipes have dropped, causing them to become buckled.

"Apparently they are now going to have to dig up the pipes and repair them but that is a process that is going to take months. It's just one disaster after another."

Will this stadium be safe full stop? unsure.gif

So who's going to bail Multiplex out and finish the job if they go bust ? Some MP was on the radio today saying it might not be ready for next year's FA final . Sounds a bit like the Scottish parliament shambles to me . No real political accountability .

Why use racist terms in your post? Just thought I'd point out that it's not exactly best practice, especially as the club are actively trying to get more asians down to Ewood on matchdays.

392811[/snapback]

What the f*** are you talking about? What racist term did I use?

Whether or not the English use the term Paki as a racist term doesn't mean we do in Australia.

Shortened phrases are the what make 'Aussie' slang.

Great having Aussies rooting for us all the time.

Blue phil, what has Wembley got to do with politicians? It is a combination of the FA falling apart when they should have had tight management them Multiplex taking on a project that was too big for them. All the British prime contractors walked away and refused too bid. They obvious smelt the losses involved quite apart from the drainage systems!

What the f*** are you talking about?  What racist term did I use?

Whether or not the English use the term Paki as a racist term doesn't mean we do in Australia.

393024[/snapback]

unfortunatly you are right

its perfectly normal for you

for some reason, we would get jailed for saying it ph34r.gif

Great having Aussies rooting for us all the time.

Blue phil, what has Wembley got to do with politicians? It is a combination of the FA falling apart when they should have had tight management them Multiplex taking on a project that was too big for them. All the British prime contractors walked away and refused too bid. They obvious smelt the losses involved quite apart from the drainage systems!

393030[/snapback]

philipl, Multiplex built the Olympic Stadium in Sydney, under budget, and within time; had no problems with labour or structural issues.

So, the problem must be with the local workforce.

Care to comment?

btw, does the highlighted sentence make sense?

philipl, Multiplex built the Olympic Stadium in Sydney, under budget, and within time; had no problems with labour or structural issues.

Care to comment?

393056[/snapback]

I'll make a comment: you're talking nonsense as usual.

Search the web and you'll find any number of stories of management failures regarding the Wembley project.

Multiplex may be a big company in the tinpot economy down under but have been found out in the big league.

Care to comment?

393056[/snapback]

philipl, I'll ask for a reasoned reply, not from a numpty, part time, nighttime employee of a Murdoch publication.

What the f*** are you talking about?  What racist term did I use?

393024[/snapback]

OK, sorry. But still...bear in mind that this is a predominately UK messageboard, so by using that term, it might not come across as casual 'slang' to some people. Just be a bit more aware, that's all I'm saying.

Care to comment?

393056[/snapback]

From what I've read Multiplex aren't an international company, or at least they weren't before bidding for the Wembley project. They showed arrogance (which has proved to be expensive) regarding working with a 'parent' company here in Britain - apparently it's the norm to partner up with a local construction firm during your first foray into a new market, they help you access a stable/trustworthy workforce, suppliers etc, etc. As it's turned out the price of the materials has risen from the agreed/estimated costs and Multiplex have been left without a clue thanks to them being novices here in Britain.

Not that I can back this up with a link mind, but the article is around somewhere!

and Multiplex have been left without a clue thanks to them being novices here in Britain.

Not that I can back this up with a link mind, but the article is around somewhere!

393077[/snapback]

This article sums it all up.

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/london2012/sto...1725858,00.html

Basically, Multiplex bit off more than it could chew, ie management failure from the outset.

If dave the machine minder could read he would realise that.

From what I've read Multiplex aren't an international company, or at least they weren't before bidding for the Wembley project. They showed arrogance (which has proved to be expensive) regarding working with a 'parent' company here in Britain - apparently it's the norm to partner up with a local construction firm during your first foray into a new market, they help you access a stable/trustworthy workforce, suppliers etc, etc. As it's turned out the price of the materials has risen from the agreed/estimated costs and Multiplex have been left without a clue thanks to them being novices here in Britain.

393077[/snapback]

I'd suggest that you do a few googles, that may change your mind about being international.

Having said that, the workforce is entirely based in the UK.

If what you said in your "quoted" statement is true, it says more about the British companies than it does about Multiplex. What they had proven was that they could build an International arena, something that few companies in the world had done.

Fair enough if you want to place all the blame on the British workforce. All I know is that Multiplex is losing money hand over fist and seem pretty incompetent right now.

393096[/snapback]

Don't worry about it Exiled. He's actually an Englishman with a mighty big chip on his shoulder because he couldn't hack it here and ran away to a convict colony.

Hence his bitterness.

Blue phil, what has Wembley got to do with politicians?

393030[/snapback]

In your haste to have a dig you've missed my point - (not for the first time but never mind ..) rolleyes.gif

I would suggest that maybe the GB Government should have used its influence to better effect in the building of the national stadium for the national sport in the national capital . Don't tell me they couldn't have made their presence felt .. huh.gif

Like I said , a lack of political accountability . What do we have a Minister of Sport for if not to bang heads together to make these projects work ...?

Did the government cock up on a sporting project before? Something lock?

I do wonder if they're building the damn thing out of lego and mecano.

You can slag off the contractors all you like, but who appointed them? The buck stops at the very very top and that means Sir Kurt Diego Millichip of the FA, he of the pulling balls out of a bobble hat FA Cup draw round five Stevenage Borough play Wasps.

Sir Robert McAlpine warned in 1999 that the project was "unworkable" .... which is one reason why Bovis pulled out, but Multiplex were determined to go ahead with construction at virtually any price in order to break into the British market.

Wembley is an embarrassment to the FA but the greater blow has been to Multiplex, who have lost credibility because of their inability to manage the project and have seen the company's value reduced sharply because of the decline in the share price.

I doubt if the founding Roberts family are happy either, having forked out a considerable sum of their own money to keep the project going.

Thankfully, unlike the Millennium Dome, none of the cost overrruns from the project are being picked up the taxpayer and are entirely a matter for Multiplex.

Edited by jim mk2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.