BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] W-e-m-b-l-e-y- Is Falling Down,

Quite agree jim, but ultimately the FA selected Multiplex because they were the only company prepared to build it for the price. Sound business decision?

The 'fag packet' calculation for the construction of a football stadium equates to around £1.8m per one thousand seats.

For Wembley to have a capacity of 90k, the bill should have been circa £160m, and currently stands at £760m.

Allowing for the corporate offer to be superior to Cardiff, and that it's situated in London, I still have a problem looking for £600m ?

I know the australians drink a bit of lager but .......

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

British firms looked at the contract and thought it unworkable, which has proved to be correct by the problems suffered by Multiplex. WNSL, the FA and Multiplex are at loggerheads and the whole sorry mess is destined to end up in court, rumble on for years and cost even more money in lawyers fees.

Latest news is that it may be sinking (subsiding).

Could be the most disastrous engineering project ever?

Still got a lot of leeway to make up before it gets anywhere near the farce that is the Scottish Parliament Building. Design estimated cost £40m; finished cost over £400m!! Then this year the roof fell in and the place has been closed pending safety inspections and re-building. We, the Scottish tax-payers are having to foot the bill for this world-class example of criminal incompetence and still nobody has been charged or accepted responsibility!! In comparison with this the Wembley situation is just a minor hickup!

Face it, The FA Cup Final is better off staying in Cardiff. Everyone loves it with all pubs and transportation close by and at least you guaranteed a stadium which stays up.

Although the only thing which you lot have to worry about is us Welsh and our Sheep Shagging ways!!!

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

When in Wales...well, ewe know the rest! :tu:

Still got a lot of leeway to make up before it gets anywhere near the farce that is the Scottish Parliament Building. Design estimated cost £40m; finished cost over £400m!! Then this year the roof fell in and the place has been closed pending safety inspections and re-building. We, the Scottish tax-payers are having to foot the bill for this world-class example of criminal incompetence and still nobody has been charged or accepted responsibility!! In comparison with this the Wembley situation is just a minor hickup!

Never a good idea to give charge of spending large sums to hired hands.

We, the Scottish tax-payers are having to foot the bill for this world-class example of criminal incompetence and still nobody has been charged or accepted responsibility!!

Well that's the price for devolution :) Let's hope the Taffs follow suit :tu:

Well that's the price for devolution :) Let's hope the Taffs follow suit :tu:

To be fair they've made a pretty good job of it. The finished project cost just 67 million quid (substantially over budget but if the Welsh can build a parliament for 67 mill how come the Scots had to spend an extra 333 million?!)

And the building has recently won this award from the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors.

The Welsh Assembly Government Building has become a landmark in Cardiff and will be a great new icon for Wales but what really stood out for the judges was its environmentally-friendly features such as use of natural light, rainwater harvesting and biomass boilers. Commenting on the project the judges stated:

“The scheme is an outstanding example of practical sustainability emanating from the commitment of the client. The end result is an inspired and intelligently designed building which embodies the best in sustainable solutions.”

National Assembly for Wales homepage

Why Wembley wasn't built to the same design as the National Stadium is beyond me (here's one we built earlier)

But as Wembley was constructed specifically to accommodate the corporate snouts and as Rovers fan are unlikely to be needing to get there in the near future quite frankly I don't give a damn.

Let's leave it to the pimps & spivs of Chelsea & Arsenal & the Essex massive of the Red Scum and the Scoucers to pay their £300 to sit in a half empty stadium, while the corporate guests clink wine glasses and have a jolly good time.

I'd rather make the round trip of 60 miles to watch us v Sheffield United on February 3rd in the pouring rain than go to the new Wembley.

They can go and stuff it. It means nothing to me (Oooh Vienna)

To be fair, the new Wembley stadium will offer more tickets to fans of competing clubs in both domestic cup finals (and FA semis) than either the old Wembley or Cardiff.

And by all accounts it'll be an amazing experience to see a game there. I'm quite sure that if Rovers happen to grace such an occasion, none of us will be complaining about how much the stadium cost to build, we'll be enjoying the day out as we always do.

I'm quite sure that if Rovers happen to grace such an occasion, none of us will be complaining about how much the stadium cost to build, we'll be enjoying the day out as we always do.

Meh!! If its not the cost, I'm sure Rovers fans will find SOMETHING to moan about :D

......Personally I'm bloody well loving it! :lol::lol:

I would be, if it wasnt slashing the amount of cash the FA are prepareed to invest in local football. They are cutting the 06/07 funding for lower leagues by an astronomical amount. We've already lost Great Harwood, who next?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.