BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 1 Wigan 1

Just saw the replay and IMO there was no way that Kuqi's goal should have been allowed.

Then again, I'm a keeper... and we always stick up for our own wink.gif

396272[/snapback]

Only saw the replay from distance so I may well be mistaken but imo the Wigan defender appeared to shove Neil into their keeper. Can anybody clarify that?

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i thought wigan were more or less our equals,and for the upteenth time i still think we are punching above our weight.

So do I waggy.  Without lady luck and with a bit better finishing by our opposition we could quite easily have loist the last 3 home games imo.  Apart from Sunderland and the top 3/4 I can find little difference between the rest of the Prem other than managerial motivation. 

18k home fans again,well the ones i left in town settling down for a night off warmth and beer,made the right decision tinykit.gif

Smarmy backsliding gits!  They do my head in.  Sure its their own decision but  I wonder how warmth and beer will seem when we are down amongst the dead men in the 2nd / 3rd divs for another generation or two?  Next time shin up the drainpipe and total the sat dish on your way out will you waggy? thumbs-up.gif

396278[/snapback]

Only saw the replay from distance so I may well be mistaken but imo the Wigan defender appeared to shove Neil into their keeper.  Can anybody clarify that?

396281[/snapback]

It has been observed on a Spurs site also.

Ive not seen it yet so cant comment.

Only saw the replay from distance so I may well be mistaken but imo the Wigan defender appeared to shove Neil into their keeper.  Can anybody clarify that?

396281[/snapback]

I think that would be a very generous analysis. I've seen a few replays now and it looked a foul to me. To put it another way, if somebody had done that to Brad, we'd be absolutely seething.

Was the penalty/freekick incident on Bellamy clearly inside the box? Couldn't tell from the BBE.

Taking a step back, what a great season we are having. We will lose to sides a lot worse than Wigan. Come the last day of the season, who knows how important that Kuqi goal really will be?

Was the penalty/freekick incident on Bellamy clearly inside the box? Couldn't tell from the BBE.

The one where he was barged off the ball and no foul was given, around 15 minutes from time? A mile inside the box.

396281[/snapback]

Yep, he did shove Neill into Filan.

Either that or he was talking about the De Zeuw one where a foul was given, that was just outside of the box, couldn't understand how he wasn't booked for it though.

396300[/snapback]

I did mean that one, yeah. I thought it was probably a correct decision, but, like amny others, couldn't understand why it wasn't a yellow. An optimistic case could be made for it being a red (again, said without the benefit of a replay).

I thought at the time there was certainly a case for a red, but a yellow would have been the correct decision. Giving no card made no sense, much of what the officials did last night made no sense though.

As for us getting the better of the decisions I'm not sure. Bellamy was called offside several times when he wasn't and Roberts should have been sent off for the elbow (I would have understood had they given nothing, but once they decided it was a foul and he should be booked he had to go).

Yep, he did shove Neill into Filan.

396305[/snapback]

In which case the ref got it spot on biggrin.gif ...just seen it again and he did appear to push him

With regard to the penalty incidents. The De Zeuw challange was outside the box and should have been a yellow. The second i thought was a blatent penalty but it would have seemed a bit soft and refs never ever give them, the player had no intention of playing the ball and simply stopped bellers getting on the end of the cross.

I was a little mystified by the yellow card on Roberts when he elbowed Neill. Surely if the ref thinks he has elbowed the player it is a red card, if he thinks it is not an intentional elbow then it should not warrent a card at all. very strange decision.

It seemed as if he was hedging his bets. I don't think it was very malicious, but he did swing the elbow round and it wasn't a jumping with his arms raised sort of thing, so I can't really make my mind up.

I did mean that one, yeah. I thought it was probably a correct decision, but, like amny others, couldn't understand why it wasn't a yellow. An optimistic case could be made for it being a red (again, said without the benefit of a replay).

396307[/snapback]

Ah yes, that one. Definitely outside the box. The lack of yellow card is just another to add to the ref's catalogue of errors from last night.

Actually, I did think Kuqi made a difference last night, apart from the goal. For a change, he managed to get one or two flick ons and that made a difference. Before that, we never managed to turn Wigan around, after Kuqi's appearance, they started to run towards their own goal. They weren't happy with that.

My feelings from last night:-

Terrible officiating, not the best Rovers performance. When your central defender gets man of the match you know you've been under the kosh. We showed a lot of bottle to get the equaliser.

My head says 'that point could be more valuable than we realise, as everyone has got difficult run ins'

My heart says 'oh my God we're going to mess it up big style'

I think FSP should replace Dickov for Saturday and keep the midfield Pedersen, Savage, Tugay and Reid. Todd to replace Zurab. Has Todd still got dead leg problems?

p.s Get rid of that drummer! Gene Krupa he ain't!

i mentioned it before but I think it's worth reiterating how much we need a winger. Bentley, MGP, Reid and Bentley can all play on the flanks but none of them are your genuine winger who will provide width to the midfield.

I cannot understand why Hughes has dropped Sergio Peter from the bench after one mediocre performance against Arsenal. He is exactly the sort of midfielder we need, at least coming off the bench (albeit an inexperienced player). Prior to the Arsenal game he had made a number of impressive cameo appearances - West Brom and Sunderland for example.

Spurs won the game against us when Aaron Lennon came off the bench and provided Spurs with pace and width in midfield. At the moment, we severely lack that extra edge to our attack.

i'm guted with the result, when we got back to 1-1 i really thought we were going to do em, we needed our goal 10 mins earlier and we would of got the winner imo and sent them home packing.

only if the bellamy effort had gone in, good save by filan but god the ex blackburn keeper was pissing me off all night, the amount of time wasting he done was unreal!!! he dropped the ball when dickov barely touched him for the pedersen goal and when kuqi scored i was so glad lucas neil clattered him, he didn't look to happy then laugh.gif

bar the wigan goal, their forwards were quiet though our defence had a few mix ups and school boy errors lastnight, alot of scrambling in our box and some of our clearences were well bad.

tugay was immense when he came on, suprised he didn't start imo.

dickov done nout and kuqi, well.... match saver smile.gif

Isn't that what lucas did for our goal? thumbs-up.gif

I think the defending player should be in possession of the ball, ie touched it, before he is allowed to shield.

This would eliminate the obstuctions when letting the ball run out of play.

396268[/snapback]

...except if the defending player touched it, it wouldn't be a goal-kick would it?

Actually, I did think Kuqi made a difference last night, apart from the goal. For a change, he managed to get one or two flick ons and that made a difference. Before that, we never managed to turn Wigan around, after Kuqi's appearance, they started to run towards their own goal. They weren't happy with that.

396334[/snapback]

agreed. after our bright opening, wigan worked out that if they dropped a little deeper they'd be able to defend without too much trouble.

'the kuqi monster' made the difference and saved the day.... again.

i knw he's got limited ability, but if you play to his strengths he can really be effective.

he's won us 10 points on his own (2 goals v best brom and boro, winner against west ham).

exstatic with a draw, didnt see and equaliser coming. it's def. a point gained.

A shame Bellamy didnt score at end, how sweet that would be.. biggrin.gif

396161[/snapback]

Sweet?

Jewell would have actually exploded there and then on the pitch! Wouldn't be surprised if he actually ran onto the pitch and lamped the referee one while Bellamy was celebrating. biggrin.gif

UEFA cup here we come!

For all the moaners out there - lets put this in perspective

Everton (A) 1-0

WBA (A) 2-1

Aston Villa (A) 2-0

Portsmouth (A) 2-0

West Ham (A) 2-0

Middlesborugh(A) 3-2

Bolton (A) 1-1

Spuds (A) 2-2

Sunderland (A) 1-0

Man City (A) 1-0

Before last night - this was Wigan's away record (excluding defeats).

Lets :-

1. Give Wigan and Jewell a little credit

2. Lets give Rovers some credit for not playing particularly well - but still getting a result against one of the best away sides in the Premiership

3. Don't forget - Wigan came hit us on the break, leaving little space for Bellamy to operate. Had the initial disallowed goal stood - we would probably have gone on to win.

396334[/snapback]

I thank you.........

http://www.brfcs.co.uk/mb/index.php?showto...ki%20kuqi&st=80

........he's even worse eye candy than I thought then though! That piggin duffed cross for Bellamy was unbelievable!

Not the best Rovers performance, certainly nowhere near the game at the JJB. I can see why Wigan are good away from home, they are very compact and organized, and wasted as much time as they could. De Zeeuw played very well. We never looked like scoring, the got an equalliser and could have won it.

Neill had a dodgy game, Dickov was non-existent, Kuqi isn't up to it but does a good job as a battering ram in the air. If we never pass to his feet he will be a world beater. The attempted cross from the left was his funniest moment.

Like it or lump it ( as we played last night) miraculously we salvaged a point - which as many have siad could prove to be more valuable than it seems at the moment.

BUT GOD IT WAS BLOODY AWFUL!! sad.gif

For the 3rd game in a row IMO we have been poor but yet again have emerged with points on the board - which can only be a good sign.

So not wanting to reiterate what has always been said :-

Firstly credit to Paul Jewel and is merry band of pie eaters - he did his homework and the players copied it - ticks all round for the underateds.

How much longer do we have to put up with the ferkin useless officialdom -PJ had every right to lambast the ref /why didn't Sparky as he was as bad for both teams.

Nothing wrong with either of our goals or Wigan's - clash of players for our 2nd (1st)- Neils momentum carried him through after a push -Filan lost control of the ball before contact.

Refs/Liesmen (not a typo) - useless.

Kuqi - Changed the game somehow and scored our equaliser - did he meant it? Still shouldn't be allowed to play again after that run down the wing and his non-attempt at the ball.

Hand ball in the middle of the pitch - obviously only Savage gets cautioned for this offence.

Tugay - opened up the midfield for our benefit once he settled after coming on.

Ref/ Liesman - useless not for the first time

Savage - pure awful until the last 10-15mins but then again we where totally outplayed in midfield upto then

Pedersen - does he not know how to vary corners -forget about scoring direct -Wigan had you sussed.

Ref/liesman - ferkin useless (again) for both teams

Bellamy - 2nd half challege was a penalty.

Ref/liesman - bottled it again - even further ferkin useless.

Nelson - thank foook he's ours.

Full time - ref/liesman still ferkin useless

1 - 1 fair result? (depends whether you prefer hotpot or pies)

For all the moaners out there - lets put this in perspective

396363[/snapback]

I don't think it's moaning to observe we were bloomin' awful last night, which we were imo.

If we'd played with anything like the same commitment we showed for the remaining few minutes after we scored we'd have blown Wigan away, impressive away record or not. I didn't think they were anything special at all.

We'll have to wait and see the effect of a draw last night at the end of the season. Whether it's the precious point gained that clinches us UEFA qualification or the two points lost that scuppers our Champions League dream.

As Ricky says on the other thread I had us down for a draw on Saturday so if we could win that one a return of 4 points from the 2 games would look pretty respectable.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.